Used 2006 Dodge Dakota ST Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Dakota

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Noise Bucket
By Joe Morton

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Annoying rattle from the front suspension on country roads. Upper mounting hardware for the struts fail. Costly repair no matter how it's done. Chrysler garage wants to replace the entire strut assembly on both sides along with both lower control arms. Estimated cost of repair is $2400.00

never again
By ihatemydodge

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this truck for nearly 4 years. Belt tensioner went out under warranty. After warranty expired, water pump replaced TWICE, trans rebuilt at 79k miles, trans control module replaced 2 months later, engine replaced at 86k (leakage on three cylinders...very rough idle), terrible gas mileage, "clunking" sound coming from driveshaft when taking off or stopping (Dealer says common problem and cannot be fixed). Changing the oil is easy, but messy (oil hits cross member and splatters everywhere). Engine is sluggish, and tranny shifts at entirely the wrong time. I hate this truck with a passion and will never buy another Chrysler product. I can see why they went bankrupt.

size, ride height, good for hauling but not everyday driving. Looks pretty good, but so does a gold-plated turd.

Redesign and re-engineer from the ground up. This truck is just awful. Give it better gas mileage & more power (japan can do it, why can't we?). At least make it last long enough to pay it off. Maybe Fiat can make a better truck :/

Best small truck for the money
By doublee2005

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

For the money you cannot buy a better small truck. When you compare that you get a v6 with good towing and full truck size for the same money as a single cab tacoma, ranger, colorado, or frontier that only come stock with 4 cylinders, there is no comparison. I bought a full size truck in my eyes for the price of a compact truck. Also the manual transmission is INCREDIBLE. In 6th gear I can run 85 at 2600 rpm which is unheard of with modern cars. So if you want a full size truck for half size money get one, if you want a small truck with fuel economy go buy a tacoma or ranger.

Price, standard extended cab, looks, 6th gear, solid v6, solid steering, great manual transmission, mp3 jack standard feature, good seats, large bed, good power, boxed frame, great towing and payload for half size truck

the fuel mileage is terrible but hey its a truck can't expect much. 15 city 18 or so highway

Great Truck!
By alex

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my Dakota since it was new, and I love it. I've also customized it so that makes it more fun to drive. Subs, 20" wheels, cold air, flowmaster, you know the whole package. I go big, LOL. I always get compliments on the looks and it drives well. Power can be added though. Even with cold air intake and flowmaster, still have issues. Nonetheless, great truck!

Great Truck
By Steve C.

2006 Dodge Dakota ST 4dr Club Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2006 Club Cab about 19 months ago. I currently have 31,800 miles on it. Few complaints or problems. I love the large center arm rest. Very comfortable driving position. The 3.7 liter v-6 is adequate, but could use a little more power. My only complaint is that when you hit a bump, the front suspension rattles & sounds loose. Also, the blind spots are rather large which makes it difficult when pulling out of certain types of intersections. I like the styling and the interior is basic but it works well, after all it is a truck. I would recommend a Dakota to anyone who needs a truck. It's a great compromise between the smaller compact trucks & the full size gas guzzlers.

I love the large center armrest. The bed is a great size. You can haul 8 foot items with the tailgate down. Gauges are large & easy to read.