Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado-1500hd - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500HD model:

Love my truck in Louisana
By james chenault

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed this truck very much. I pull a 21 ft deck boat with it and it has no problem even in the hills of Arkansas. Chevy needs to come up with a new int. design but it is still nice and confortable, even on long trips. I wish it got better gas mileage, (12-13 in town and 15-16 on the road.) the best was 17mpg. Pulling our boat, 9-10mpg. Keep the rpms down and it will do better, but it has to be babied to do so. As much as I love it I am thinking about selling it only because of the gas prices. If you have the money for gas, and want a super truck, then this truck is for you.

Favorite Features

I have several, dual climate control, Bose stero system, leather seats, pulling power, looks.

Suggested Improvements

Develop the transmission so you the driver can pick pulling power or less power to help out on getting the rpms down. If Chevy can make a Vette with 400 hp and get 18-20 in town and 28-29 on the road plus run 150mph, then they should be able to do something with the truck.

4x4x4 love it!
By elwood

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

WE use this crew cab to pull our 7000 lb.travel trailer. We only camp in wilderness campsites. The optional four wheel steering has made backing up a breeze. Haven't had a chance to use the four wheel drive yet.

Favorite Features

The kids love the DVD player, and it really keeps them occupied on trips.

Suggested Improvements

I would say sunroof, but it is now available on the new models.

My HD
By David

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT Rwd SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Although I don't do a lot of heavy hauling or towing, I needed the full crew cab. I love how "heavy duty" this HD is. It is absolutely built like a tank, and I have not had one problem with this vehicle. It is very comfortable, and very powerful. My 6 year old has made me promise to keep it for him, and I have no doubt that it will last plenty long enough. Great truck!!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, powerful engine, very comfortable and roomy. Will fit three car seats in back seat.

Suggested Improvements

Too much visual space between tires and body. GM should drop Torque Management to less noticable level.

35,000 and counting
By 5frankie3

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LT 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased this 4x4 truck July 2003. Now have 35,000 miles and the Quadrasteer is great. The Quadrasteer feature is good enough to purchase again.

Favorite Features

Turn circles around even my son's 2005 Tacoma.

Suggested Improvements

The only poor item is the mileage. The best open road has been 16+mpg.

1500 HD
By Pat Briden

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500HD 4dr Crew Cab LS 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

exceptional towing vehicle, good in snow and slippery conditions, vibration in exhaust system, doesn't like to run cold, once warm it run very well, manf. says to run the rear tires at 80psi but it is very hard and rough, run them at 55 and front at 50, while towing I run the rear at 75 and front at 50, towing switch is sometimes apion unless your towing on hills or steep grades, don't use the switch on normal towning, running with syntheics since 800 miles and it runs smoother

Suggested Improvements

get rid of the tailgate cover, once you put a cap on it the tailgate cover is NG, it interfrears with the gasketing, once the bed liner is sprayed you can't use it.