Used 2005 Chevrolet Classic Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Classic - Consumer Reviews

Fleet 2.2L 4-cyl. 4-speed Automatic - (30 reviews )

Most Helpful|
I hate this car
By kennedn

2005 Chevrolet Classic Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2006 with only 13,000 miles on it and it has been a nightmare. The first year I had to replace the brakes. There is a short in the system and I have been stranded more than once. I have had to replace the fuel pump twice and the transmission went out at 60,000 miles. Right now the car is parked because it will not start again, due to the short in the system. I am having problems even getting anyone to take it as a trade in. I will never buy another Chevy again after this experience.

Favorite Features

I do love the look of the car and it is comfortable. It was a nice car to drive and got decent gas mileage, when it ran that is.

Pretty darn good for a cheap car!!
By sailinorth

2005 Chevrolet Classic Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Well, I had the 2005 Malibu Classic for 9 years with no big complaints. I bought it December 05 with 26k miles on it and sold it with 120k miles on it 9 years later. Little issues of course, but for the money I paid back then I can't complain at all. Had to disconnect the safety cable between the ignition and the gear shifter as it would stick and not allow me to take the key out of the ignition because the key thought it was still in gear. Had to replace the A/C buttons as bad connection there makes it so the A/C would not turn on or engage. Ended up replacing 2 motor mounts - very expensive! Other than that only regular maint over the 9 years. Drove as a typical cheap car no comfort.

Favorite Features

Price! Reliability! Gas Mileage! averaged over 30 mpg on highway trips and generally averaged 26-27 per tank.

Suggested Improvements

Just bought a '13 Malibu and GM fixed up all the weaknesses! Very well done!

Most reliable car I've ever had
By guitfiddle07

2005 Chevrolet Classic Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I believe most of these cars were either rentals or government fleet vehicles. I believe mine was a rental. At any rate, I have 165,000 miles on it and I put about 40,000 a year on it. I put new brakes on once, wiper motor and new tires. Replaced the serpentine belt as preventative maintenance and that's about it. They are not very fun to drive and handle like a boat after the suspension ages (not something I care about), but it is a great dependable car that is cheap to maintain. I will buy one for each of my kids when they are old enough.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Poor interior as stated by so many other owners. Seems some of the interior electronics are prone to failure (e.g., hazard switch, wiper motor, AC/Heater control) but all are very inexpensive and easy to replace yourself ($20 to $150).

First car
By marin19

2005 Chevrolet Classic Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a chevy malibu classic 2005 with 70000Miles for $5000 and i still havent had any problems im the 5Th owner according to the carfax and now i've put 12000miles not alot because i just drive to school everyday

Favorite Features

It has a big trunk and very spaceable, and i like if not all doors are closed when i lock it with the keyless entry the horn wont chirp untill all doors are closed

Great car for the price
By sjjustus

2005 Chevrolet Classic Fleet 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car from 2007 until recently (Sept 2012) when I was involved in a car accident. It gets good gas mileage for a larger car and doesn't require a lot of extra costs. I drove around 18,00 miles a year for work and experienced no issues. We only purchased new tires when needed and oil changes. The week before my accident we had to replace one headlight but that was it as far as repair costs go. It was a safe car as well, it took the damage in the accident, not me! I will miss this car. Overall, yes, I would reccomend this car. Is it fancy? No, but it is reliable, safe, and pretty decent gas milage.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage especially on long trips, reliable, cheap to maintain