Tacky fuel-guzzler; not what I expected
By bigbaddave on
2013 Buick Verano 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
We already have an Enclave, which we like, so when my wife's old Cavalier was damaged in a crash we didn't hesitate to go for the Verano. And what a mistake that was. Like the Enclave the Verano is a heavy auto for its size that guzzles fuel and unlike the Enclave, it doesn't make up for it in other ways. The dashboard knobs feel cheap and require more effort to press than the Enclave. The green-white information screen looks like a two-tone video game from the 1980s. The engine sounds like a lawnmower. I test drove the version with the more powerful engine and didn't notice much difference. The view from the back isn't great. I must say this vehicle is a real disappointment.
Favorite Features
The seats aren't that bad and the sound system is excellent. There is room for lots of luggage. A tall person can sit in the back without too much discomfort. The doors shut with a satisfying thud.
Suggested Improvements
Improve the fuel economy, perhaps by cutting the weight of the car. Make the dashboard display more up to date and less basic. Remove the raft of ugly soft knobs on the dashboard and make them easier to press. Right now you have to exert quite some force.
By lrinnc
on 03/13/14 11:21 AM (PDT)

Yes the Verano is a bit heavy, but they added a lot of sound insulation (couple of hundred pounds I think?) that make a huge difference in quietness. Also the 2.4L motor which is larger than the powerplants in the Chevy Cruze which it is based on. I agree the base motor is no standout in power or MPG, but the Verano overall is much nicer than the Cruze. So on that standard, I am pleased with mine. Interesting that the turbo version didn't impress you. Makes me even more glad I stuck with the base version - thanks!

By jhunkins
on 09/12/14 03:45 AM (PDT)

The difference between the base engine and the turbo is quite significant. I test drove the base and then the turbo and it was like night and day. It just gets up and goes. Absolutely no hesitation pulling into traffic with the turbo. Can't say the same for the 2.4.