Love my 2014 Encore. Naysayers should drive it!
By janidb on
2014 Buick Encore Leather 4dr SUV AWD (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I am an active older woman, and my husband and I wanted to buy a vehicle with some luxury touches, a higher seating position and a quiet interior. I kept looking at the Encore and being put off by reviews saying that the engine is too small, it’s slow etc. But when I actually test drove an Encore Leather, I was hooked. No problems merging on to the highway or driving on hills. The turbocharged engine managed just fine. Have driven it for 3 mths mostly in town with a few trips on the highway, and one in Rocky Mountain Nat. Pk. There, the car purred quietly up and down the snowy and sometimes slippery mountain roads and I could easily control the downhill speed in the Manual range.
Favorite Features
The cute and attractive exterior styling, the smooth ride and quiet, upscale interior, the leather seats, heated steering wheel, high seating position, the Bose audio, the hands-free, voice-activated controls, Sirius XM, OnStar. I love that you can tweak the cruise control speed up or down by a mph at a time using a spring-loaded rocker switch. All the high-tech touches, including tire pressure sensors, operable from the steering controls. Fog lights, (which I was very glad for a couple of weeks ago), blind spot monitors and rear cross-traffic indicators which beep at you if you’re backing out of a parking spot when a car approaches. REGULAR GAS! Great turn radius, auto-dimming mirrors.
Suggested Improvements
Downers: Rear visibility is poor, but is compensated for by the blind spot and rear cross-traffic alerts. I was glad I waited for the 2014 model for these features. I also found that I had to do a lot of experimentation with the seat position to arrive at one that was comfortable for both short and long drives. After 3 months, 1,800 miles, average gas mpg is 24.7. Not great, but not bad. I would have liked a grid on the rear camera to indicate distances, because you really have no idea how far away anything is. Manual liftgate seems to annoy some people, but doesn’t bother me. More power would have been nice, especially for narrow roads, but there's enough unless you want to race.
By texasgovernor
on 04/23/14 08:09 AM (PDT)

Buick Encore which is really an OPEL MOKA - is amazing. The car is perfectly sized Small but Big enough. Great Gas. Luxurious. The most fun car to drive around. Superb. We love ours. Blows away the Honda CRV Toyaota RAV 4, 7 the overhyped Mazda CX-5