Used 2007 BMW Z4 M Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 M model:

Great car for 6' and under. 40K miles 4 yrs old
By boyracer3

2007 BMW Z4 M 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased CPO w 10K mi. Can't imagine why anyone would new bmw when CPO program is so great. Have had car for 30+ mos. And all service has been free. Have had a rattle in the pop up Nav. Fixed. Hatch opening problems fixed by replacing Z4 lid bumpers with 3 series spring loaded bumpers. Intermitent pass door lock fussiness. But that's it for problems. Nav system is grossly inferior to Japanese and domestics. Unfortunate. But I like the newer idrive interface a lot better. A blast to drive. Very responsive handles like it's on rails. Cont.

Favorite Features

Red black carbon interior never fails to impress. Beefy steering wheel feels fantastic in the hands. Sport mode is incredible. Car handles better than my wife's last carerra. I like the warm up tach redline indcator function. Might have saved me an engine in the aforementioned 911. It's a really fun car to drive. It has been very dependable. I was expecting it to be glitchy. But I guess this particular BMW is very Spartan in terms of gadgetry.

Suggested Improvements

M seats are too narrow for bigger people. It's the only BMW I've ever been in that I couldn't get the seat back far enough in. I'm 6'-2", 210 Lbs. Luckilly it is my wife's car. She's 5'-9" and loves the cars dimensions. Nav system is horrible. Input info w stereo knob turns. Displayed route is white on slightly darker gray background (red,cyan, maybe?). Menu layout is counterintuitive and awkward. Really don't like the infotainment system but I know that the 09 idrives are much better. Kudows BMW. Back of seats get hot. Why? Our backs don't sweat in any other cars.

High Performing Car for Niche Drivers
By jon

2007 BMW Z4 M 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

I knew that I wanted a high performing car before I ultimately decided on the Z4 M coupe. On my list was the Lotus Elise, Honda S2000, and the Z4 coupe. These are all great cars though each has something unique that sets it apart from the rest. The Elise is raw for the purest, the S2000 a great value and compromise between the rawness of the Elise and the luxury of the M coupe. The M coupe has all the creature comforts, but also has the thrill of a high performance track car. Additionally the M coupe has a uniqueness - only 1815 built. If you are looking for a uniquely designed sporty car that performs, and begs to be driven through windy roads, this may be your car.

Favorite Features

Unique styling, 330hp (surprised it had individual throttle bodies!), Bluetooth phone package, sport button

Suggested Improvements

There is a valve that restricts the operation of the clutch CDV (clutch delay valve). Many people have issue with this, and I'm currently debating whether or not to remove this. Other that that nothing so far ;)

Upgrading from Z4 to M roadster
By Dennis Cunningham

2007 BMW Z4 M 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased a new Z4 3.0 in 2005. Really liked it but really wanted more power through the shifts. Found a 2007 M roadster at a dealer with only 9000 miles on the clock. Dealer let me have a 50 mile test drive through the hills and twisties... OMG! That's the way to sell a car! This is the car I have been looking for! Power, handling, looks, all there in spades. Here is a surprise! Just drove it to Idaho up lonely hwy. 93 through Nevada. Round trip of 1600 miles and ran steady 75 to 90 mph. Averaged 25 miles per gallon. Didn't buy it for fuel economy, but was not expecting this! One diss... Why does the nav pop up every time you change the radio station?

Favorite Features

Power & handling and the feel of the cockpit.

Suggested Improvements

Nav. system could be more intuitive, takes some practice and a lot of remembering what to to next.

The Last True M Car?
By epbrown

2007 BMW Z4 M 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Possibly my favorite car ever. Driving the Z4M provides a fun, visceral experience I just didn't get from the Cayman S I test drove. The car is more challenging to the driver than the Porsche, but all the best sports car elements are there - the brakes and steering from the CSL, a firm suspension, the revvy S54 engine and a LSD, wrapped in a taut sculpted package that I think is the most successful of the flame-surfaced cars of the Bangle regime. This is a BMW M without the compromises required to genuflect at the alter of practicality required of the other M cars. I also like that you don't see the Z4 M Coupe everywhere - in over a year of ownership, I've seen only two others on the road.

Favorite Features

The Z4MC looks like an exotic that cost twice the money, outside with its creased lines and curves as well as inside with its neo-minimalist interior. I love BMW inline-6 cylinder engines and the M Coupe looks to be the last normally-aspirated high- performance inline-6 we'll see from the company.

Suggested Improvements

As others have mentioned, the tires don't suit the car's performance - magazine reviews might have been more favorable with Michelin PS2s on the car. Yes, the Continentals were fine for the E46 M3, but the Z4M isn't a sports sedan, but a full-blown sports car; BMW should have gone to the next level.

2007 M Coupe
By fasttoys

2007 BMW Z4 M 2dr Coupe (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Great, fun to drive. Very rare, won't see many on the road. The last true BMW M car with a hand built high rev inline 6. 2008 is the last year of the M coupe most likely never to be built again all z4 going forward will have conv hard top no fixed roof.

Favorite Features

High rev engine, THX radio, very rare

Suggested Improvements

Better nav system, better exhaust note, better looking wheels other than that its perfect