Used 2018 Volkswagen Golf GTI Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used Golf GTI for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
4 out of 5 stars

16 days of ownership / 1,000 miles driven

Rashod B., 11/24/2018
SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Rent this car before buying! Test drive the actual trim multiple times. Make sure you love it because it has a lot of perks but some major annoyances. Overall, I'm stoked about my purchase and I love my new GTI so far. I'm coming from an older Jetta so it feels intuitive and familiar but much nicer than my old VW. The GTI is everything you expect it to be...fast, fun, practical, affordable, and seemingly reliable. It truly is a lovely car. The reviews out there are fairly accurate. The tech package is modern and very nice. The car is sneaky fast and the exhaust notes are great when driving in sport mode. THIS CAR IS FUN!!! Here's what I learned in my 2 weeks of ownership. The leatherette seats are not the most comfortable, especially for long trips. Interestingly enough, I didn't experience the same problem when I rented the base model with cloth seats. I just assumed the leatherette would be nicer and more comfortable...they're not. They just *look* nicer. My biggest complaint is cabin noise. My brand new GTI has more creaks and rattles than my '08 Jetta with 157K miles on it. I took it to the local VW dealership where I purchased the car and the service advisor told me it's the norm with these cars. For a car that looks & drives amazing and costs $28K - $35K, the noises make it feel cheap and not well assembled. After Googling the issue, it is clear that my GTI is not unique. Lots of people out there reporting creaks and rattles with a lack of support from the VW dealerships. I absolutely love the car but would I make the purchase again...I'd probably lease because it doesn't feel like a keeper. On a positive note, the GTI ownership community is pretty amazing. Tons of tips, tricks, and DIY solutions for almost any problem. The aftermarket world is rabbit hole of goodies.

3 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars

Best daily driver under 30k money can buy

Tom, 08/07/2018
SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car is a home-run. Turns like it’s on rails, very well planted on the road. Ride is stiff at times, especially on bad pavement... But it's the price you pay for the sporty suspension. Brakes are great. Safety features are great: forward collision mitigation is on point, as is blind spot monitor. Led lights are slick. Interior is luxurious : 8" touchscreen with Apple Carplay, leather seats, soft touch materials. Cabin noise levels are very low. DSG is bliss. Overall it's a very well finished car... Iteration number 7.5 so they have figured out the value proposition really well. Speedwise : it's got enough power to keep you interested, but it's no wild beast like the Golf R or a WRX STI. I'm very happy with the car and look forward to driving it every day. Got the SE because the Autobahn was not worth it to me. Barebones S with the manual is a sweet value proposition you should absolutely consider too. I drove other cars like the Subaru WRX, but went with the GTI due to better incentives and more civilized ride, plus that DSG. The Mazda3 is a good option too, but the GTI is one level above. If you live in an area with very bad pavement, don't get this car, otherwise you'll enjoy every minute. Love this car, gosh. BRB I went for a drive.

Great car!

Rick, 08/10/2018
SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Love this car! So much fun! Many great things about it: acceleration, steering, cloth seats, gas mileage, small size, etc. I got the manual but would have been just as happy with the automatic. I own a 2009 & 2015 BMW 335, but I prefer to drive the GTI.

This car is AWESOME!

Al Bert, 05/20/2018
SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

I was skeptical about buying a VW - I had set on one of the following: Mazda 3, Honda Civic, or a Ford Focus. Since I was out shopping anyway, I decided to check out the GTI; it was love at first acceleration. This car is awesome - you can select Eco mode, drive it responsibly, and get 39mpg; or you can select Sport mode, let the turbo do its thing, and have a lot of fun. I like small cars; this one fits the bill while taking 4 adults around very comfortably. The interior is nice, instruments are well positioned, the seats are snug and firm (as you would expect from a sport car), and the driving position commanding. I got the standard speakers, and I'm happy with them. The dual clutch transmission is something out of this world - it switches gears quickly and seamlessly. All in all, this is a fine specimen of German engineering at its best.

GTI on the Fly

Walt, 06/16/2018
SE 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

The car is a driver's car, a real fun car to drive. The ride is somewhat dependent upon the type of tires that are on the GTI from the manufacturer. We have Hankook all season tires which are a harder rubber compound and a nosier tire so the ride is a bit nosy and you feel the bumps a bit more although not a deal breaker. But that's to be expected with a performance car and this car DOES perform. The interior looks like that of a luxury car and is much more than one can expect for a car in this class. Fit and finish is excellent and the quality of the leather and other materials is excellent and rather plush as well. It looks like VW has finally turned the corner after "diesel gate" and brought a quality and impressive car to the market. If this is things to come for VW, I believe they'll be back in front as a premier auto manufacturer.