Used 2016 Volkswagen e-Golf Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used e-Golf for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons
3 out of 5 stars

Love-Hate Relationship

Jay, 04/27/2020
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I bought (leased) it new, drove it for 3 years and put about 36,000 miles on it. Pros: The car looks, feels, drives and functions amazingly. It has the pluses of the Golf, which include excellent handling, comfortable seating front and back, a great view of the road, and a surprising amount of room for people and cargo. You take for granted how well balanced this car is until you step into almost any other car. The electric charging saved serious $$. It was very reliable. Cons. Range was a little over 80 miles in the summer and under 60 miles in the winter... with heater frequently off! As this was my only car, range was an enormous, life-style altering problem. Fast chargers began popping up in Portland during my ownership, which made life a bit easier. The charge chord melted, and took several days to replace under warranty. And it was annoying having to take the car for maintenance every 10K miles and get charged dealership fees for a simple electric check. About 2 years in, I tried selling it, but the leasing agreement made the process extremely difficult and I gave up. VW Credit was a pain from beginning to end. At the end of the lease, they charged me $350 fee for returning the vehicle!! It felt like they had me by the neck from the time I signed, were going to screw me over and didn't give a damn if I would be a returning customer. I highly recommend the car IF: It is the second car in your household, you avoid VW Credit, you install a Level 2 Charger at your home, and live in an area friendly towards electric vehicles. If you meet these conditions, i think you will LOVE this car!

3 out of 5 stars

Poor Man's Audi

Jacques, 04/26/2016
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I have never loved a car until this one. It's quiet, fast off the line, and does not compromise on utility. It's great to charge overnight and skip trips to gas stations.

5 out of 5 stars

Super fun ride! You'll hate gas cars driving this

R. Sturtevant, 05/02/2017
SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

VW designed the eGolf to be nearly identical to the gas version of the car. It's not a cheap feeling, light vehicle that drives like a shopping cart as some e-Cars are. 0 to 30 mph it has greater acceleration than the GTI. That seems like an odd benchmark, but when you think of how many times you pull out of an intersection to oncoming traffic that quick burst of power gives you a great sense of driving confidence. Handling is superb. The entertainment system and driver controls are nicely configured. I get over 100 miles on a charge in warm weather going less than highway speeds. In cold weather with lots of highways this can drop considerably to say 70 miles per charge. It works great for me give my commute is less than 50 miles per day. I hear that the 2018 model will add about 30% to the range. That's good, but for me I find that most of my driving is well within the range of this car. Still I think VW will need to compete with other electrics that promise 200+ miles. Overall it's just a really fun car to drive and has given me no problems in 2 years. I'm thinking of buying it when the lease ends next year.

Great little car!

Peter C., 10/15/2017
SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Drives great. Good handling. Gas saver. Most suitable for driving around town. Only complaint is that during braking, I hear some clicking noise. Not sure if that's normal or not.

1 out of 5 stars

An great electric car crippled by zombie software

HP, 02/05/2016
SEL Premium 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

The handling and acceleration of e-Golf is beyond my expectation. It is cute and agile on city road and highways. This is compared to the cars (Mercedes E350 and BMW X5) that I have. The perspective of paying $1.4 dollar for my daily commute of 45 miles is very promising. However, I will not recommend this model year to others because of the following pain points: (1) This car has a 3G module that communicates with VW server. It fails: The CarNet service on desktop browser or mobile App allows you to (a) lock/unlock the car, (b) activate A/C, (c) charging schedule manage. From day-1, the CarNet server is never able to communicate with my car. It renders the CarNet service useless. My e-Golf is completely off the grid. (2) Delay charging failure: If you search for "VW e-golf delay charging issue" on Google, you will find long list of complaints that it doesn't work. Yes, 2015 e-Golf delay charging problem continues to plague 2016 e-Golf. For people living in California, the low electric rate kicks in between 11pm-7am. This is a very fundamental software feature for utilize the discount rate, yet it fails to deliver. For those days that it fails to delay charge, I could wake up in the morning and only find out the battery is not charged. I had to drive my e-Golf with ECO+ mode in one morning commute because battery is low. With ECO+ mode that turns off AC/Heater, I was frozen with inside temperature 45F and thinking what I have trapped myself into. This is a horrible experience for a new car owner.