1999 Volkswagen Cabrio Consumer Review: 99 vw CABRIO GLS, What A Fun C

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio - Consumer Review

GLS Convertible (2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

99 vw CABRIO GLS, What A Fun Car!
By toycollector on

1999 Volkswagen Cabrio GLS 2dr Convertible

I purchased this 99 VW Cabrio used some many years ago.
I wanted a convertible and My Grand mother swore by VW.
Lest we forget, she bought her VW's when Volkswagon was still Volkswagon.

So, as my Cabrio ages, I would be in for some of todays technology short falls or upgrades that the car could/should have done without and be better for it .

I prefer it's look to todays cars, it has a great ride and handles well.
Very enjoyable ride in the summer, and decent traction, for a small car in the winter.
And where do they come up with no power in the reviews.
Mine goes like a bat out of, err a hot oven.
It is pleasing to drive, fantastic when the top is down and the mid support has a good look.
I have now gone through a top change out as the original became brittle and cracked. I installed the
top myself, took a little over a day to do and restored the new top look.
Paint wise, the paint held up very well until the clear coat began to peel off in 2009. But I have yet to see a car
where the clear coat has not failed when the car is in its 2nd decade. It is just irritating to see the clear coat
peel away and then be told the entire car needs to be repainted.
Mechanically at this late date, Jan 26, 2016, the mechanicals of the car are still pretty much in very good shape, runs like a top and gets great mileage.
The downside would be the electric windows motor which can be an off/on working operation. The other would be the less than stellar reliability of the inside door handle which over time will stop working from plastic breakage.
The RADIO is teamed with a cd player and the sound is still booming. VW had a poor design to the radio face and if you try to take it out too many times, will crack the plastic face to a point that it will fall apart. I am on my second radio for that exact reason.
Keeping a car over the 10 year mark for many is unusual and to still have a '99 vw Cabro today in 2017 seems to be a rare thing. The secret to it all is to keep up on any repairs as best you can. If you let it sit, it will deteriorate. For the most part, this Cabrio is still running well and still has great looks with the top still operating to a down position for open air enjoyment.
I drive this car anywhere I care to go with a big smile on my face.

• Outward visibility
  • Active safety
  • Headlights
  • Parking aids
  • Fuel economy

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review