Used 2001 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Toyota Tundra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tundra model:

JUST WON'T DIE!
By J WELCH

2001 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab 2WD LB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Bought truck brand new in 2002. Sun burst red. Got a leer camper shell of the same color. @113,000 miles. Had a master cylinder go out. Maintenance as suggested. Camper shell going south, but paint still looks great. Bumper has rust. Everything else in original parts. Damn good truck. Not for sale. Only kept it to haul my oversized telescope around.

original owner
By John

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

Has always been a reliable vehicle. Had for over 17 years. Only has 100,000 miles. Was told it had another 150,000 to go.

Best Truck I've Ever Owned
By G Tymn

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab Limited V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've had this truck for 16 years and 190K miles. It is the most comfortable truck I've ridden in X-country. The only downside is that it not a heavy duty hauler. It's rated 1/2 ton and that is about it.

Overall, the truck runs without complaint. Change the timing belt at recommended interval of 90K. The only repair not expected was a water pump leaking at 130K.

White paint from factory does not have gel coat. If you have a choice, select another color.

190K now. Check engine light is going to have to stay on because the catalytic sensors are calling for a replacement...which I won't invest in. Too expensive. Also, Airbag warning light for driver's side now on. Again, I'll let the light burn out before I start replacing airbags. Otherwise, the truck runs great and is very comfortable to drive in all conditions.

Standing the test of Time!
By Ramsey

2001 Toyota Tundra 4dr Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck with 183,000 miles on it. It's the highest mileage vehicle I have ever owned, much less bought. I wouldn't have even considered it from any other brand, but I know Toyota has a reputation for reliability and durability so I decided I'd give it a look. I knew with my budget of about 10k I would be buying an older vehicle, but I was expecting to buy something with around 100-130k on it, not 180k, I mean, it had more miles on it then the 03 frontier I was getting rid of. I won't lie, I was a bit hesitant, but I took it to my mechanic to look through it and see what he said. He gave it a clean bill of health so I decided to take the plunge. I'm very glad I did! I have owned it for 1 year now and it currently has 205K miles on it. Everything still feels very solid on it, there are a few rattles when I go over bumps, but nothing out of the ordinary and on the highway it holds the road great and no rattles. Even the door handles still feel new when I open them (unlike the frontier I had with 99k on it) I mainly use this truck to commute to and from work, but during the warmer months I use it to haul 2 motorcycles in the bed about an hour each way to the track about once a week, and then about once a month go on an out of state trip 400-800 miles or so with the bikes in the back, and sometimes hook up a trailer with 2 more bikes on that. Can pull them down the highway at 75-80 no problem, although going up hills you need to use more pedal to keep the same speed. engine is kinda thirsty, I average between 12-14MPG with it being about 80% city, 20% highway. Just checked it today and it was 14.2. On the highway on my way from Ohio to Florida, unloaded I averaged between 17-18 MPG, and when I did the trip with the 2 bikes in the back, I averaged between 15-16. I can't be mad though, as the MPGs I get out of the 4.7 are only slightly worse than the MPGs I gout out of my 3.3 liter frontier, but I have way more power. The truck is also super comfortable, and I love being able to fold up the center console and make it a bench seat if I need to. I check my oil pretty regularly and it doesn't seem to burn a drop which I find highly amazing. The only things I have done other than change the oil is spark plugs, battery, and just today I replaced the brake booster as it started leaking at about 198k miles, however when I bought the truck it had just had a frame recall done, and they replaced the brake lines when they did the frame. The dealer I bought it from also installed a new steering rack. I say if your looking to buy one, have it checked out thoroughly, but don't let the mileage scare you off. The 4.7 motor is pretty bullet proof.

135,000 miles and loving it
By clintncrys

2001 Toyota Tundra 2dr Regular Cab SR5 V8 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used, but have loved it the entire time.
It is comfortable for a full-size truck, and super reliable.
It isn't capable of doing super heavy duty towing, but I haven't come up against anything that I need to pull, but can't - it's just not a diesel.

The clips on the access cab door windows are weak. I repaired one that was broken when I got it, and now the other one is broken.