Used 1999 Suzuki Vitara Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Vitara for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Love it!

spotgofast, 02/07/2004
JX 2.0 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this car used with 82,000 on it. So far I've had it a week, and am in love with it. I haven't tried to take the top off yet, looks a little complicated, but only time will tell. I like how it handles and the fuel efficiency. I was suprised at how roomy this little car is. My biggest friend fits (6'5") and people have more room in the back than in a jeep, not to mention it handles better. I'm very happy with my purchse and would recomend this mini suv to anyone. I have a samurai and really had fun with it...but needed something that could go freeway speeds. It's a little mountain goat in 4wd!

Still love my Vitara

nb, 09/26/2007
JX 4dr SUV 4WD

I wanted a Honda or Nissan, but the extra $2k or more for those or for the Grand Vitara were budget busters for me. I love the purple color I got (electric cat's eye blue) and the cute and fun look; I don't drive a lot (just to work; I'm efficient and green) but I got this for off-road and it is excellent for that. I've not been off-road as much as I wanted, but that's my personal life, not the car. I think this is an excellent value, and should be considered.

A Bad One

Buyers Remorse, 05/06/2002
JX 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I owned this vehicle for 19 months. I was at the service department 6 times during this short time period. The first time for an electrical problem that wouldn't allow the vehicle to shift out of park. This went in "3" times before they got it right. (I demanded they contact the Suzuki Tech Rep). Then it went in for a front axle shaft, then it went in for an engine seal. It's been in for defective windshield wiper switch, engine tapping of which the dealership said to change the oil and wait for two changes with anything but a "Fram" oil filter. Then they were going to try adjusting the valves ON MY DOLLAR!!!! When I made the complaint during the warranty period.

Why the bad Rap?

Jen, 08/14/2002
JX 2.0 2dr SUV 4WD

I can't believe all the negative reviews! I've had mine 3 years and other than the occasional maintance and odd adjustments I've really enjoyed driving this little beauty! Same problem with the locked Park they did a recall. I also had a problem with the convertable roof but with any convertable you can expect problems. I think overall the reliabiliy of the vehicle comes down to with a reliable dealership, quality of the vehicle and how well someone looks after their vehicle. You really have to think about what you are buying and why. If its a fun convertible that is great on gas - this is the vehicle for you!!

Great little Car!!

Chels, 07/07/2005
JX 2.0 2dr SUV 4WD

I just bought this car about 2 months ago. I got a great price for it and it only had 49000 k. The gas mileage is amazing! (coming from an 89 oldsmobile). It is so much fun to drive! The manual transmission is just fun alone but zipping around in this car makes it better! I love to just open the sunroof and unzip the back window. Sits like a truck but drives sporty.

Topless in Tri-Cities Washington

Topless in Tri-City, 08/13/2005
JX 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

This is a rather tinny little car but it's sharp looking particularly once you get rid of the boring wheels it comes with. This is our "summer" car, and it's got that season written all over it. Absolutely fun to ride in! Ours has the small motor - not powerfull - but adequote with the stick tranny. I like working on my own vehicles; everything is accessible and in plain view! Be carefull on the highway - I suspect this thing could roll if turned very sharply. Good brakes, smooth runner. We doubt we'll ever get rid of it! We've had it for three years. If you buy a newer one still under warranty, be warned, Suzuki does not honor expired warranties, even if they are just one mile over!

It's five, and still going strong!

TheMunt, 03/19/2004
JX 2.0 2dr SUV 4WD

Great little truck for the price! I've had mine for five years, and it runs great. Just follow the maintenance in the owner's manual. I have the model with the manual 5-speed transmission, and the 2.0 motor. Have carried everything from bowling balls to kayaks and my spouse, 6'4. Only negative is some of the plastic pieces in the interior broke, but not a biggie. Good for long road trips. Convertible top easy to use.

51050