Used 2006 Subaru Outback Consumer Reviews

Used Outback for Sale
Select your model:
12345...12

Pros
Cons

Liked my old one better

Nancy, 10/15/2007

My 2006 Outback is the second one that I have purchased. I bought it sight unseen based upon my satisfaction with my 2000 Outback. My 2000 & I were in a near fatal road rage accident where I was forced off the road & hit a telephone pole head on at 50 MPH. I survived with very minor injuries but alas, the car did not. I really loved my 2000 Outback. I can't say the same about my 2006. As soon as I sat in it,I knew it was not the same vehicle. The seats were less comfortable, acceleration was not as good, the side view mirrors have huge blindspots due to the redesign. The windows whistle, The body is less sturdy, the glove box too small,cheap cup holders, donut tire, basically made cheaper.

It's like a cockroach - it's almost indestructible

sherry32, 01/24/2013

My 2006 Outback Wagon has over 132,000 miles on it, and has been completely trouble free for 7 years. It drives no differently than it did when it was new. I'd actually kind of like a new car, but it's hard to justify the expense when this one is paid for and is so reliable.

A superior fast touring car

Hans Harald, 06/01/2009

Am 70 years old now, owned some very nice and powerful cars during my life, this one is the most satisfying of them all, by far, especially after replacing the OEM Yokohamas with Michelins (see below under "suggested improvements"), which actually make the car do what I am waxing about in this review!

Worry free vehicle

dozer, 04/04/2012

I bought my 5spd OBXT Limited new back in '06. Have not had a single problem after 6 years and 53K miles. The car is bullet proof, both mechanically and cosmetically. Paint has held up extemely well, very chip resistant. As for traction, the car is unstoppable in snow. Two foot drifts barely register with the Subie's tenacious AWD and ample road clearance. If you live in or near a snow belt, these cars are at the very top of the food chain. Best part is performance. The XT has some STi DNA. It eats Audi A4's for lunch in the stoplight wars. Reliability, unflappable AWD, lightening quick w/turbo, sharp looking. Love it, love it, love it! I plan to hopefully ride it another 6 years.

Only time I've bought a 3rd one.

Jon C., 10/16/2005

Compared to other SUV's I tried, this one is the only one that didn't handle like a truck (compared to Ford Explorer, Nissan Xterra, etc.) and didn't get buffeted around in the wind. This is the 3rd one I've owned and it is still the best snow car I've ever driven (I ski and regularly go into snow country). It also quite adequately tows my boat. My only gripe is that the current model's "sport automatic" drive is not as smooth as my last one (2002).

Surprisingly terrific

abqdad, 10/23/2005

For the last ten years I have driven a Lexus LS400 and my wife has driven a Mercedes E320. Both are just as excellent as they are reputed to be. When it came time to get a new car I looked carefully at all of the "usual suspects" (BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura...). They are fine cars, but none were interesting enough to get me to prefer them to the Lexus with 150,000 miles. Until I looked at the Subaru Outback LL Bean. We've had it a month, and I am still extremely impressed with it in almost every way. Great job Subaru! My list was: "Safety, reliability, comfort, utility, value." I don't know of anything else within $10K that can touch the Subaru.

Solid Car

matt, 12/12/2005

This is my first Subaru. It has a very solid feel to it, which I like. The interior is comfortable, and the sunroof is a thing of beauty. I love to bounce it around on rutted old roads while going fishing, and love how it handles in the snow and ice. I've always owned slightly larger cars, so it takes a bit of getting used to the size. The transmission is the only blemish I can mention. Going uphill it tends to never find its groove, keeps shifting up and down and up and down. Also it seems it takes the tranny a bit to warm up on cool mornings, it might try a clumsy double shift while accelerating out of the driveway.

My 5th and Best Subaru

Poohbaru, 12/16/2005

I have owned 5 Subarus now starting in 1984, progressed from GL Wagons with 4WD to LL Bean Wagons with AWD. They are the most reliable well built cars I have ever dealt with. I have friends with Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, just name it. The LL Bean in my book surpasses them all.

Can't believe this is a Subaru

srhorn77, 10/13/2011

I bought my 2006 Outback used with 78K miles. After 800 miles of driving, the weather turned cold and the tranny started slamming from 3rd into 4th. I took it to the dealer and they recommended I replace the tranny for $3400. There's also a rubber/oil burning smell when driven long distances. The radio and drivers window randomly stop working and the entire lighter assembly pulled completely out when I tried to unplug my car charger. This car must have been built the Monday after Superbowl Sunday before coffee. I'm so disappointed in this car. Subaru is supposed to be so reliable but I can't wait to trade it. The good is it does great in the snow. I had a 2003 Impreza and loved it!

Comfort, convenience, and safety

Jerbear, 12/04/2009

This is our second Subaru. The first was a 1999 Forester. We bought this one because it had better ground clearance than the Forester, was more roomy and looked better. Ours is a stick shift which we like because of the better control and because we tow it behind our RV on trips. We average about 21 mpg in mixed driving and around 29 mpg on the highway. Love the car. No problems aside from an alignment problem when new which was taken car of by the dealer. Wife is an EMT and HAS to be able to get through...this does--and does it very smoothly! We'll get another in a couple of years as well.

12345...12