Used 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Grand Prix for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

Car that wont stop

fugary, 08/04/2013

I have a 2005 gp that now has 361000 miles that has given me many years of use. If you take care of the 3800 V6 you will get your money back in return.

Fun Car

Amanda Laffoon, 06/27/2005

This is the thrid Grand Prix I have owned and I love it as with the rest of them. They are very dependable, comfortable, and sporty. The handling is wonderful and it drives better than any other car in its class.

Rocky Start for a 19yo second car.

Jon, 08/18/2009

I bought this car in December from GM with $64,000kms and it did well for the first 1500kms (so I thought). The car was sitting on the dealers lot for months and as a result the calipers seized and wore out my pads and rotors. I ended up having to replace front and rear calipers, rotors and pads in the first 2 months I had the car. Once that was done I haven't had any more trouble with the car. It is a awesome car to drive, Lots of power, Handles excellent, and the it turns many heads. I LOVE the interior of the car, It's not boring like the impala or century, The car as of aug has 96,000 kms and I am taking a road trip with friends of around 10,000kms and I have no fear of it failing.

Safe, Fast, Dependable

deanfoxes, 11/09/2014

This car was my first car, and I drove it with pride until the day that it saved the life of myself and two other passengers. Rounding a sharp corner at night, I found myself approaching a fallen tree across the road. I swerved to avoid the tree and ended up on the embankment hitting another tree at about 45 MPH. Airbags deployed, but nobody was hurt. The car was extremely safe, and was an absolute blast to drive, with amazing handling and performance for a sedan. I am definitely looking into buying another Grand Prix, perhaps this time with a supercharger!

Lots of fun

vlee, 10/13/2010

I purchased my GTP this month from my company. It has been my company car for four years and I've now put 117,000 on the clock and still a sweet ride without any major issues.

Blue Green Crystal LOVED by ALL!!

Celeste, 05/30/2005

We love this car, great on trips, lots of leg room for 6'3" man driving. Back seat has room for 6' son if seated behind front seat pulled forward one notch. BLUE GREEN CRYSTAL IS FABULOUS COLOR!!! EVERY ONE SAYS SOMETHING ABOUT LOVING THE COLOR!!!! It looks blue in some light, green in others and purple under parking lot lights at night!!! It even looks blue and green at the same time, on different planes of the cars surface!! Handles great, no matter the weather, or driving conditions, love the onstar feature, husband used it when he got lost, (WOW) Monsoon sound system to die for, XM clear as a bell

good car

Happy Owner, 08/03/2006

This has been a great car. When I look at comparable vehicles I feel I kept $10,000 in my pocket and have a safe, fun, powerful American car. Buy American had better become a way of life in this country or it will no longer be our country!

pros and cons

jjp, 07/22/2004

great handling good gas mileage sport car feeling, good response comfortable seating, front and back if you are not over 6'2. three pontiac grand prixs owned in the family. a great coaster that saves gas.

Lots of looks

Larry Carson, 02/13/2006

I bought my GXP in Octber of 2005. I love this car. I get a lot of looks and finger pointing. My wife said it makes me look and act younger. Very fun car to drive.

2005 Grand Prix GTP Comp G

B4crask, 09/16/2004

This is an awesome car with excellent handling. It looks good both inside and out. The supercharged engine has the power to get you around anything on the road. Good old American Muscle! Glad I didn't get the Maxima...... I paid $1500 under MSRP and then got a $2000 rebate on top of that. Don't pay MSRP. You don't have to. Try getting Honda or Toyota to do that for you when buying one of thier boring little cars.

favorite car in 26 years of driving

Scott, 12/06/2009

Ok, i have had a lot of cars! 3 brand new ones and 25 used. This is my first Pontiac but I have had many GM's. The first time i drove it i new i was going to buy it. Sounded good, seats and interior are like a cockpit of a jet plane. The only negative is its really hard to accelerate without the front tires breaking loose. This is my favorite vehicle of all time. I would highly recommend this car to anyone that likes a sporty sedan with a great motor, great looks, great comfort, and a great exhaust sound.

Solid

Kurls1800, 03/07/2010

My GP has given me 5 years of great service . I did have a front rotor warpage issue early on and just decided to replace them. Otherwise, just change the oil and other common maintenance. Sad to see Pontiac end its production of Grad Prix's. Love the Pontiac red dash lights.

Impressive American Sedan

GP fan, 01/08/2006

I've put 11k Miles on this vehicle and am pleased with its quality. Its straight line performance is great for a sedan. Its steering is a bit vague, but that's compared to my compact Mazda. My 4cyl Mazda only got 2mpg's better with half the horsepower. The dashboard is a bit bland in all black, so I recently bought a Sherwood dash kit to accent it. The only other gripe I have is the door handles. They are to small and slippery for such heavy doors. If you enjoy modifying your vehicle, there are several sellers of aftermarket parts for this car. Overall, I really enjoy driving this car. I get nice comments about it's looks. I am really glad I bought American.

Get Back into NASCAR

Blacksheep, 05/27/2006

This is my second GTP Supercharged. I had a 97. Reliability on both cars (97 & 05) is terrific. Having a fold down front seat has come in handy more then once. I replaced the mufflers with Flow Masters and new exhaust tips. $400 and the car sounds like it wants to go and looks better from the back. My son-in- law replaced the air filter with a K&N filter. My only regret is that I did not know a V-8 was on the way. Pontiac needs to get back into NASCAR. I plan to stay with Pontiac and if it goes the way of Olds I will leave GM. No matter what you do to a Buick it is still the car my 89 yr old father drives and many more like him. No thanks!

Fairly Good Car overall

njoosse, 11/14/2012

Nice big car, lots of room, loads of power from the 3.8 v6. Love the exhaust growl. I always compare this car to my 04 Honda Accord 4cyl. This car has way more power and gets the same fuel mileage. On the other hand it doesn't handle as well and the fit and finish are not nearly as good. I love the interior, especially at night. Reliability is ok. Burns a bit of oil. At 100000miles, its starting to squeak and rattle, which my Honda is not. Overall a pretty good car.

Was a good ride

Randall Kakara, 11/12/2015
GXP 4dr Sedan (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My wife, average height always complained about blind spots. We bought the car new in 2005 and got 10 good years out of it, but I can never say it was a comfortable ride, esp as WE got older. It became painful on my back to sit in on long trips, and we both had some difficulty climbing out of it as compared to an SUV

My favorite car.

semperfigirl, 12/08/2010

I got a 2006 Grand Prix as my very first car, it was used.From the moment I started to drive the car I loved it. I never had any problems with it, as I did keep up with care on it. Nothing out of the ordinary happened with it, it was always a great car, specially the night it saved my life, and 3 other peoples. That night the tires slid on ice. We slid straight into a guard rail on the drivers side in the middle between the doors. Then flipped over the guard rail and flipped twice. The car took the impact like a champ, and saved our lives all 4 of us walked away. The car did it's job & protected me and my passengers. This car was nothing but great.

Enjoy your GTP

Peter jones, 03/05/2005

Handling is excellent, the styling is most attractive particularly from the side and front/three quarter views, I love the rush of power in the midrange when you feel the superchargercut in... it really is a fun car to drive.

This car is crap

Dr Ratched, 08/20/2010

Gee. What DOESN'T work on this car. Paint was peeling off after 2 years and now it has leprosy. Water pump needed replacing after 2 years. It's burning oil like a drunk BP CEO. The cheap plastic on the inside is worn off everywhere you put your hands. The leather seats are fading and tearing. Oh. And the stupid key fob won't work. Avoid this car. Avoid Pontiacs. Avoid GM.

Front Seats are Torture

CJ73160, 02/01/2005

The only real complaint I have with this car is the front seat design. It is very uncomfortable to me. I prefer a more flat seat. The side supports in the seat and back begin to bother me after about half an hour of driving. They are helpful when cornering fast, but they are a real pain otherwise. The bottom seat surface is hard and uncomfortable, too.

Looking for a reason to drive...

SuprChrged '05 GTP, 09/23/2005

I have owned my 05 GTP for almost a month now. The handling is superb, makes going through highway curves at 70 mph a breeze. Engine is very responsive, supercharged power is there when you need it most. Performs well for such a heavy vehicle. The interior leaves much to be desired. The inside compared to competitors is dated. The exterior design had to grow on me a bit. Overall this car is fun to drive, sometimes leaves me looking for a reason to find somewhere else to go.

Wonderful car except

Marco, 11/18/2005

It's been a year since buying the GP sedan. After the first 10,000 mi with zero problems, it is clear that if GM could build all of their cars this well...

Outstanding car w/ great performance

Doug Haskin, 10/09/2004

I have had my 2004 GTP CompG for about 3 months now, and I really enjoy it. It has great performance from the supercharged 3800 series V-6 engine. IMHO this is one of the best engines ever built... GM uses it on almost all of its midsized cars, so it has been around for years and has many aftermarket performance parts available. The interior is all new, and it thanksfully is missing the plastic interiors of previous Pontiacs. The CompG package is a must as well, coming with manumatic TAPshift and Head Up Display. I would recommend this car to anyone in the market for a sedan with good power and styling.

Fast, comfortable and good value

Sami H, 12/26/2004

I just bought my 2005 GTP a week ago and I couldn't be happier! The car is fast, and surprisingly quiet - road noise is lower than in BMW330i I was test driving. With the ton of GM year- end rebates, this car is a bargain! NOTE: there seems to be a rebate on leather interior - free! I found it after checking out the list of rebates the dealer had on his computer; that's free leather until 3/1/05! Ask the dealer. I chose to take the GTP without the CompG - after test driving both, the non-CompG version seemed just as fast and nearly as responsive while having a very smooth ride. Monsoon stereo sucks - bass is muddy and undefined, power lacking; will be replaced. But overall, a great car!

Great for the Money

GPMan, 01/02/2005

I was amazed at the performance of the Grand Prix GTP. The Eaton 5 Supercharger added a lot of fun to the everyday driving I do. The four speed automatic was amazingly smooth and the interior is refined. Even though the engine is pushrod actuated, it is still more efficient, smoother, and more fun than the Toyota V6's. Toyota's overhead cam designs detract from low-end torque and "everyday" driving "gusts" that are needed to pass on the highway. The interior design is also simply and logically laid out. Materials and build quality are excellent.

Loving it

Ben, 07/07/2008

I have driven Pontiac grand am before but I finally got my Pontiac grand prix after I lost my previous car. Since I got this car I love it more than any car I ever had. It drives so smooth and less external noise. The I felt in love with it the very moment I saw it. I am hoping to keep it for a very long time.

CompG Package makes big difference

Aeroheadcww, 07/09/2008

My GP is equipped with the CompG performance package which includes: Head Up Display, Tap Shift, higher gear ratios, stiffer rear sway bar, and red brake calipers, maybe a few other things. The gear ratios dramatically improve acceleration and the sway bar makes this thing handle like a dream. It still maintains a quiet comfortable ride on the highway but is rigid during spirited driving. My biggest complaint about the car is the shifting performance in standard automatic mode, it just doesn't downshift quickly enough and lets the RPM fall well below the power band before it switches to a lower gear. This is alleviated by the Tap Shift system which will let you shift manually.

Great car

Danfm1, 08/12/2008

The car is amazing - Pontiac has really improved their products and it can easily challenge foreign cars. The turning is tight, the engine provides plenty of power while sipping gas, there are no rattles and the interior quality is great. It's safe, good looking, and a great ride.

Not worth what i payed for it

sullyhaute, 10/02/2008

The interior design is cramped. I am only 6 ft. tall and I feel like i am way too big for this car. It will get up and go, but that is about the only thing good I can say, I have already had to replace turn signal bulbs, the paint is peeling off the front bumper and mirror covers. I had to replace exhaust clamps, I have to take it in for re-aligning. I would expect this from a old beater car. but this car still only has about 62,000 mile to date.

Love my car

Samantha, 10/09/2008

My GP is my "first" car. I learned to drive in SUVs and trucks, and I usually hate cars b/c they feel so small, but my GP is very roomy, one of the few cars that my dad, who is 6"5', can fit in pretty comfortably. My car handles absolutely great, very sensitive to whatever the driver does. I live in a very hilly and curvy area and the car does the roads great. Although 5 people fit in my car just fine, it isn't really a "family" car.

Nice looks and powerful engine but...

Josh, 11/03/2008

The looks of this car is what sold me. Beautifal car. I was looking at an 2002 Trans Am, but couldn't find one in good enough shape for the price. Bad things - at 40,000 intermediate steering shaft needed replaced, I guess this is standard as I have seen it many times in other reviews. Leaks from either the windsheild seal or from the antena are common. Water comes through the front dome light, luckily right into the cup holder. Brakes have become horrible, pads are at half wear and squeel noticeably loud, probably due to the drilled rotors. Significant rattle coming from the undercarriage, maybe exhaust? Only happens when in 'Drive', shift to neutral and the noise disappears.

First one and I love it

DAMN SKIPPY, 02/17/2009

My wife and I traded in her stratus for an 05 Grand Prix GT and couldn't be happier about the decision. I drive a Mustang 5.0 and I feel like the power from the V6 is quite comparable. The front seats are super comfy and I feel very "in control" with the HUD and the many other features on the console. Although, I wish that the back seats had more head room. It would make it easier to get our infants car seat in and out. All in all, I am satisfied with this car and hope to trade in for a new one in the future.

LOVE IT!!!

Christy, 03/22/2009

I Love my Grand Prix GT, It is the 2nd one I have had. I have heads up display (I hope they always keep that as an option) I think it is great & don't like driving a car without it! I have leather heated seates, Dual Climate Control, Love having the Radio controls on the sterring wheel, Love the auto headlights & power sun roof! Traction Control is great!!! I hope it lasts a long time...

A good ride

B at 45, 03/30/2009

My GT has been trouble free. Original tires wore quicker than I thought they should, but Goodyears I bought holding up good. I've been very pleased with the gas mileage for this size of car. 17-31 MPG. Alot of remote start in Chicago winter or Phoenix summer and mileage obviously drops. 65 MPH on interstate and 30 MPG. 85-90 MPH on interstate and 25-26 MPG. Over 68500 miles and still on original brakes. I'll need them soon, can feel rotors have a shimmy during hard braking. Like the oil management system, saves oil, have gone 9000 miles on a couple of changes. This is a great highway vehicle. Quiet and quick when it's needed. Good in snow when lived in Chicago. Great AC now in Phoenix.

Replaced My Boring Toyota Camry

Aldo, 05/17/2009

I purchased my Grand Prix because my wife has a 2002 Grand Prix which has 83,000 miles and the only repair was a wheel bearing. I have replaced tires and brakes but these are normal maintenance. I replaced my 2001 Camry, with the 2005 Grand Prix, the Camry was not a good car, I purchased it brand new and it had issues at 25,000 miles which were under warranty, but the last two years it was starting to cost me big bucks, it was time to get rid of it.89,000) Iwas always comparing my Toyota with the 2002 Grand Prix, which I purchased with 16,000 miles. Toyota makes a good car but mine must have been built by trainees. When I saw the 2005 Grand Prix and I took it out, I fell in love with it.

My Car

Sherry, 06/04/2009

Car is good over all. Comfortable. Headlights aren't that great. They get scratched too easily. I have problems starting the car. had mechanics check the problem and they can't find anything wrong. engine light won't go off. it's been checked by dealership as well. my car has about 80,000 miles now. it's a little cramped at times. the chevy impala was my first choice b ut had to settle for this car because of pricing. still paid too much. paid 14,000 a year ago. now supposedly worth only about 8,000. no major repairs so far at least. good gas mileeage. would recommend.

numerous problems

Paul, 06/15/2009

bought this car new, now has 76K. Have replaced front hub, needing 2nd rear wheel speed sensor, and heads-up display is out. This car has left me stranded on the road 3 times with electrical or fuel problems that they cannot find, always in hot weather, stop and go, driving. Acts like something going thermal. Left me sitting in Nashville for a weekend the first time. Now the front end is falling apart. It will probably be gone soon! This is my 3rd. new GM and by far the highest cost to maintain. Have a '90 Baretta with 240K that has needed less!

Alot of car for little money

JLaws, 07/30/2009

Picked up my gorgeous stealth gray Grand Prix with 84000 miles on it for $5800. After I did the brakes and purge valve, which is a common thing to fail, it drove like a brand new car. Still feels tight after all the miles and very quiet with the windows rolled up. I've owned higher end luxury car, i.e Lexus, Audi, Cadillac STS, so I can see the drop off in the quality of materials, but the GP's base V6 performance feels as powerful as the 300hp+ engines I am used too.I am on a budget and this car satisfies my needs for the time being. I plan to drive it to the ground!

'05 GT

Griffin, 11/01/2009

After trying out several Fords, Dodges, Chryslers, and Chevrolets, my wife and I kept coming back to the Grand Prix. It has the perfect blend of sportiness that she was looking for, and the roomy practicality that I wanted. Fully loaded with black leather, moonroof, CD changer, and Monsoon stereo (which is the best factory stereo I've ever heard), you can't ask for much more in a family sedan. Interior ergonomics are unmatched by anything I've ever owned and the heated bucket seats make long drives a pleasure. No problems to report.

Last of a great car

grand prix no more?, 07/26/2010

I am on my third gran prix and wish they would keep making them. This is a good car is you drive 20k miles a year. You can drive it for 8 years, get 160k and move on. You can not beat it for the price. Everyone raves about the foreign cars in this class but those cars cost $8k more and those owners put money into the car. I will miss this one when it is done.

GP GT

FC, 07/31/2010

I bought this car for my wife. Certified GM used with warranty. It offers a good drive, with excellent comfort for the leather bucket seats. Driver ergonomics are unmatched. However, with the 200 hp 3800, it feels big and lumbering. I love the rumble from the dual exhaust, but its an overall underwhelming experience. I'd definitely recommend finding a GTP for more power. It has great looks and we love the silver exterior with the black leather and moonroof. Heater fan detonated recently, a costly repair without the bumper to bumper warranty. Other than that, not a single problem!

Could have been better

thepontiacdude, 02/01/2008

If you care about "coolness" more than "utility" than it's worth considering this car. However, if you are looking for a family oriented car, I would consider cars like Accord, Camry, Impala, etc. I own a Grand Prix and I think it is a pretty good car and is a lot of fun to drive but unfortunately there are some cons that stand out.

Need a shoe horn to get in and out

Jeff, 02/11/2005

Went to buy a Bonneville but Pontiac wasn't dealing with that car so I got talked into a Grand Prix. Nice car and fun to drive but windshield is way to rakish and low. Cannot get in and out without hitting my head. Seat has to at lowest and furthest back position to avoid my head touching the ceiling. Homelink would have been a great option. Back seats are all but useless. Front bucket seats are too narrow. Not a family vehicle. It was a big mistake to buy this vehicle.

Loyal to the 'Prix

Cherise, 02/13/2005

Although I don't love the color (I loved the cherry red that my '99 offered), or the fact that I was forced to buy a 4-door car (2-door no longer offered), overall I still like the car well enough to buy it again. It's a nice ride, has the options I really like (HUD and heated leather seating), and handles well. It's sporty, but still reserved. I love the large trunk and fold down seats (VERY useful for those of us who don't want to buy gas guzzling SUV's). I like the upgraded lighting package. The cruise control and HUD display control is awkwardly placed. The glove box is too small. The back seat doesn't afford much passenger room, but it works well for kids. A great car all in all!

first new vehicle

lisa wooten, 02/15/2005

This is the first new vehicle I have ever owned. I have 2 grown sons and when my husband and I with the boys go on a trip we ride comfortably. My boys are not use to that. The car is the perfect size. I love the sporty look. I was amazed when the salesman showed me the car that he said it was a standard package. Compared to my other cars the Grand Prix was loaded. I am very happy with my Grand Prix. Keep up the great work.

Awesome Car, Awesome Price!!

JstGusha, 02/18/2005

Love it, can not tell you enough good things about it. Drives and handles like a dream. Floats you over the road, yet nimble and quick.

Nice Car

Art Phippsa, 02/28/2005

The way this car handles,rides and preforms makes it a thrill to drive. The interior is very comfortable and just adds to the fun. This car can compete with any of the imports that I've had over the last 10 years.

love my GT

aubs, 03/18/2005

very fun to drive, has nice acceleration, love the heater in chairs, great exterior and interior design. Also love the very large trunk!

Competent value

Marco, 03/18/2005

Bought the sedan as an everyday driver. Power with base engine is good. Overall competent handling, power and braking combination. Solid feel to build. No other car offered more value (200 hp, auto, power everything) after rebates.

Best Reliable

B Boulch, 03/25/2005

I have always owned a Grand Prix. Last year I purchased the 2004 Grand Prix GTP and love it. The looks, speed, performance and luxeries are great. My boss bought my 1998 Grand Prix and now he is hooked on the Grand Prixs. They have always been great cars.

51050