Used 2004 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews - 74 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Oldsmobile Alero Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Alero model:

2004 alero 6cyl
By will

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 4dr Sedan (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

It gets you from point A to point B

Great Car for first car or retiree
By ADB

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

The car is great on gas mileage and has needed only basic maintenance to date. Other than the need for a little more head room in the driver's seat everything else about the car was exceptional. the car was purchased to be the last car after retirement and it has filled that need beyond expectation. Durable for mid to long drives and great in the city.

FIRE
By Fawne Perkins

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL1 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Unintended key rotation caught my car on fire a year before recall was announced. We fixed what we could and continue to drive it. However since we already replaced the burnt up ignition, with a new but still bad key with ignition cause it all burnt up, since it's not the same key gm WON'T fix it. They also refuse to admit that the fire was a result of the bad key, so I still drive around in a fire hazard, with no heat,air, window defrost , inside lights, lighter Port as all of the wiring burnt up.

This thing just won't quit
By Nick

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my red 2 door alero for dirt cheap and it had next to nothing for the miles (114,000) for the GM 3.4 that's nothing!! The ride of the vehicle could be better but the handling is fantastic! Acceleration is really good probably because I have the 3.4, sorry for you 4 cyl out there lol. The safety of this car is amazing for such a little car, took a lifted Dodge Ram head on I really thought this car was going to the junkyard but nope I slapped a new hood bumper and fender on and it drove like new! This car does go through brakes pads and rotors pretty often ( replaced 3 times already mileage is only at 145,000) and when they were replaced it still squeaked when drove (annoyed the hell outta me but hey the car still stopped) also the car goes through tires quickly too ( also my 3rd set 30,000 miles) you really need to keep up with the maintenance on this vehicle and she should last you a very long time! My advise to you if you're looking to purchase one is make sure it's been maintained pretty well or it will be a nightmare

Olds alero driver
By Noah Private

2004 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This car is really great! Don't get me wrong though there are some problems.... I have an 04 red 2 door 3.4l and boy this thing is pretty quick. You put your foot done and it drops down a gear and just takes off. It feels like you are "floating" when you drive or get up towards the governed speed of 110 mph. I passed a lot of cars with this alero, including some mustangs and many many hondas. This car has some major head gaskets issues however. I am on my 3rd set now. I have rebuilt this motor myself inside and out. Stock rods and pistons are pretty solid, and the aluminum heads dissipate a lot of heat. This car also has bad tranny problems.. This is my second trans in my alero, they leak tranns fluid really bad. However the engine area is pretty easy to work on, you can pull the whole motor apart in the engine bay and put it back together in 8 hours. Also this car seems to have a problem with staying aligned and it blows through brake rotors, calipers, and brake pads. Even with a good alignment this car goes through tires quick. I am a little rough on the car because I deliver pizza everyday. It is pretty fast though, more lower end power. Stock speakers sound nice, driver seat raises and lowers.