Used 1992 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Nissan Sentra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

TOOK ME TOTALLY BY SURPRISE
By Gordon

1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R 2dr Coupe

I was just looking for a reliable work car when I tried the SE-R which had been taken in P/A at a dealership. I had just tried a Toyota Corolla GT as my wife had one and it seemed like a good idea to have two identical cars for parts etc. This one was very worn and everything seemed - loose. I was then offered the SE-R and what a revelation! Fast, very accelerative, cornered like a champ (only driven a Lotus that cornered better), the seating was comfortable and supportive. I returned to the dealer and bought it. Over time I had to have the fifth gear replaced and did the clutch at the same time while the g/box was out. Tyres wore as was expected, but not at a frantic pace. Gas consumption was good. 'Loved that 2 litre motor and the gear change. My SE-R was black and would take a great polish. It was very satisfying to wash and polish and it looked great when done. 'DIdn't have to do it often either.The only things that annoyed me were the location of the cup holders and the head lining, as it gradually came unstuck, hanging down in loops. At a upholstery shop I was given a price of $550 to fix it - $50 for new lining and $500 for labor. The top tank of the radiator finally sprang a leak and I bought a new rad for it, but was unable to fit it for a while as I was away from home. When I returned, I found that I had been supplied with a rad for the regular 1.6 litre engine - not for the SE-R and I had gone past guarantee period (still got the rad!). Somebody stopped by and offered me a good price and I regret to say that in a fit of stupidity, I sold it - something I have regretted ever since. I have been looking for a replacement for some time now, but with no luck to date

All Cars Should Be As Reliable
By Steve

1992 Nissan Sentra SE 2dr Coupe

... as my '92 Sentra E. Currently have over 247,000k and still peppy due to fuel injected 1.6 engine. Getting 28+ mpg when taking it easy, about 24 mpg when using A/C, still frosty. Really impressed with this car's performance in its 'emeritus' years. Worth buying at any age, if treated well is the epitome of reliability.

Smooth suspension, quiet interior for base model.

Door mounted shoulder strap a real minus - get slammed in door when aged belts don't retract completely. Cup holders insufficient, poorly placed.

SE-R
By Freddie

1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R 2dr Coupe

Bought the can new in 1992. It was the cat's meow in it's day. It still have the car with only 98K miles on it. I spent a lot of time over seas. The only problems I have had were with the brakes that seem to have a course sound when applied. The seal around the tail lights leak and I can't seem to fix it. There is also a leak around the sun roof and wind shield or fire wall. Can't seem to find the source of any of the leaks. I can't let go of it though. Love?

I like the sound and power of the SR20DE engine.

Prevent the car from leaking around seals. Paint went to crap quickly and the car is rust prone.

fun to drive
By aaron

1992 Nissan Sentra XE 2dr Coupe

GREAT LITTLE CAR!! fun to drive. engine is very responsive. i eat hondas all day with this car. (stock) although there is a problem. when the fuel runs low it tends to buck taking of in 1st. I don't know if its the pump or injectors. other than that runs like a charm! i wish the steering was a bit softer though. id recommend this car for anybody. since i got it i changed both cv joints, clutch kit, oil, all the leaks and the head gasket. about $1,000 (more than i bought it for) lol

engine, its a fast sporty little car

the suspension compents are pretty lousy the bad cambers are wearing out my tires :(

Dependable
By zward

1992 Nissan Sentra XE 4dr Sedan

Purchased my Sentra in 2006 and have owned it ever since. She's always been good to me and I've made sure to keep up with the maintenance. The only major work I've had to do is the CV axles and the exhaust...which were a bit pricey but other than that it's been good and the parts are cheap and the car is easy to work on. I live in the Austin area so inspection and emissions tests are required. My car's always passed wonderfully, so there's never been any expensive emissions problems like that.

Gas mileage, easy repairs, easy to work on, cheap parts, many aftermarket add-ons. Car handles very well when you need it.

More power! Needs a turbo stock. When I run the AC the car has NO power. Engine could use to be more responsive.