Used 2009 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 176 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

ABSOLUTE SCAM
By Emilia

2009 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Much like other Nissan CVT owners, the transmission is HORRIBLE!!!! DO NOT GET THIS NISSAN, OR ANY SIMILAR. Bought this Nissan when it was at 170,000 miles, however, previous owner replaced with new transmission at 119,000 (at Nissan dealership... I have the receipt for it). After only a few weeks of driving it, the car was already making weird noises, and gears were not shifting correctly. TWO TIMES: I was driving on the highway, and car just stopped accelarating. EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. NO TRANSMISSION SHOULD GIVE OUT AFTER A LITTLE OVER 50,000 ADDED MILES!!!! And yes, I did take it to the same dealership that replaced the transmission, and was told that nothing could be done. Horrible customer service. This car is so much maintence, and EXTREMELY UNRELIABLE. DON’T WASTE YOUR TIME, STRESS, AND MONEY.

Budget $500/year for repairs!
By A

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car was just ok. There was nothing outstanding about it. At 50k miles I had to replace a wheel bearing and some kind of brake sensor ($1200). And at 86k miles two more wheel bearings ($800). I finally traded it at 125k miles before having to replace the catalytic converter (approx $2000). I'll not be owning another Nissan. By the way, this was my second Nissan that had troubles.

Nice car, crummy transmission
By Ted S

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 2dr Coupe (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

This car has been pretty reliable with two exceptions: First, at about 100,000 miles a hole melted in my exhaust manifold causing the car to make a lot of racket. I ignored it until exhaust burned through an O2 sensor too (according to the dealership) and both had to be replaced. Second, and most importantly, the transmission tends to overheat after an hour or so of driving at highway speed, and when that happens the car goes into a fail-safe mode where it will no longer accelerate quickly or drive above about 50 mph regardless of how fast the engine is running. The only remedy for this seems to be to stop and let the transmission cool off for awhile. Now it's starting to shudder too when it gets hot, but not sure yet what's causing that. The implementation of the CVT transmission is the weakest part of the Altima design in my opinion, and there are a lot of reviews to back me up. Also, the car thinks it's getting 22 MPG but if I divide mileage by gallons when I fill-up it is consistently closer to 20 combined, maybe 21-22 if I do mostly highway driving.

Out standing car
By James T.

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

I have 234,324 miles and still running like new.How ever maintained in a great conditions and maintenance is always on point love this car, this is the first time I buy a nissan from now on this is what I will always buy.

Lien holdet
By Fredrick Cole

2009 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl CVT)

Good running car