Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used GL-Class for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

I think we got a lemon

gaspasser3, 12/08/2011

Our Gl450 has 70000 miles and the transmission locked up on the highway. Thankfully no one rear ended us. The vehicle is at the dealer and Mercedes is refusing to goodwill the transmission. The car has always been serviced by Mercedes. Cost to fix $8300.00. In addition we have had 3 air compressors go out, cam plugs leak oil, power steering pump replaced and the window trim paint peel off. When you buy Mercedes you expect quality and service, we have had neither. This is our second Mercedes with problems. We have have had BMW's and they very reliable. We will not buy another Mercedes.

Poor Reliability

benz_awful, 03/08/2011

Purchased a mint condition 2007 GL450 with 25,000 miles and now at 60,000 miles. Have had the following problems: power steering pump failure, front struts failure, interior temperature control system failure, check engine sensor failure, cam plug oil leaks and replacement, back seat panel separation, interior vent knobs broke, not to mention that the battery wore out early as did the brakes and tires. Vehicle pulls to right after repeated alignments. Can't get rid of vibration even after tire replacement and repeated re-balancing -- suspect drive shaft.

Should’ve "passed" on this one!

It's not me....it's you....., 08/01/2016
GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

First off - I loved the car - very smooth, elegant, pretty, powerful, roomy, quite - all the things you expect in a MB. So I bought my 2007 MB GL 450 in Dec 2015 (8 years old) with about 160k miles on it, knowing I would have “some” issues, but hoping the legendary MB quality would serve me well in the end. The car was $13k so it seemed like it could work out even if I had some reasonable repairs. I have owned the car for 8 months ( about 12k miles) and have put almost $10k in repairs - all local mb repair shop or NON MB DEALER costs! First off - I called 3 dealers - all told me basically to pound salt! None of them would even TAKE ME as a customer - saying that since I was not the original owner, they would not service a MB that old! HUH - yep, I was told by 3 dealers that they wouldn't service my 8 year old MB!!!! "People that buy older cars like yours typical don't invest in maintaining them the way they need to in order to maintain to the manufacturer specifications " - MB basically called me a cheap ass who wasn't going to take care of my car so they were not going to even talk to me.....anyway moving on.... First month - rear air shock $450, second month other rear air shock $450, Third month - intake manifold $2,200 (plus 6 weeks waiting on the part), Fifth month - vacuum hose-$100, fuel cap - $30, evap canister $850, Airshock Compressor - $1,250, sixth month - steering rack $2,200, seventh month - both front airshocks $1,200, interior trim dash - $250 (broken tray), interior trim rear seats $500 (rear seat would not lock) - thats $9,480 in repairs. Maintenance wise - 2 oil changes $220, 1 set of tires $820, 1 service b - $300 totalling $1,340. I also bought 2 missing headrests ($600) and the bluetooth phone unit ($300) when I first got it. So far, after 8 months, I have put $11,740 into my $13k car. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!!

Save your money

Walk away, 12/28/2015
GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Save your money. I've had so much Maintance and repeats done for the amount of money I spent I could have purchase 2 more new Benz. I've repaired everything except the engine. Front right and left upper control arms, 4 air shocks, water pump, power steering pump, the list goes on. This is a truck I didn't drive everyday because I have 2 other Benz and a motorcycle.

Expensive Lesson

Ticked Off, 10/11/2010

I purchased this vehicle less than a week ago, and because of my work schedule couldn't drive it for three days. The first day that I'm able to drive it I go to the gas station to fill it up and the power steering goes out, I wait 3 hrs to be towed. I contact the dealership who tells me I also have a leak in the rack and pinion long story short I have a $7,000 bill on a vehicle I purchased 5 days ago and haven't even driven 150 miles in. I can't use the warranty I purchased because there is a 30 day wait period. I want my trade in vehicle back.

What you need to Know

Mercedes- Benz Dude, 01/03/2007

The car has a smooth and quiet ride. It has a solid feel to it. My family loves it. I haven't had any problems with it so far. Love this car.

Change that suspension

japhet, 09/21/2009

My GL has been into the dealer's not less that four times in under 30,000km, mainly for suspension problems. In this distance I already have had both front and rear shocks changed and whatever else could be changed down there to reduce vibrations, road noise & wheel-bouncing. Rear windscreen wiper blade fell off just a few weeks into car's first rainy season & I ended up with a scratched rear screen. Vibrations have not stopped & make the car unpleasant to drive. Windows shake (ever so slightly, but you hear the click-click all the time you go over a bump). I have since learned that MB has used the same suspension components which are fitted on the ML! (GL is wider though). Anyone out there?

Awesome

heatkar, 05/09/2006

This truck is awesome! I drove every SUV under the sun and this one blows them all away. Not too big, not too small. Just right. Love the pick up. Pure luxury. Hope there won't be any problems to work out being it's a new model and all.

Dissapointment

user, 04/12/2010

The car is a luxury vehicle (65K+) and driving it is really a pleasure. I got two kids and did not want to have a van, but a nice car that would have a lot of space inside. the vehicle is very functional, has 3rd row seats, etc.etc. I would not review it unless I had quality issues with it. The 7 speed transmission failed after 32 000 miles. The suspension failed after 38 000 miles. Warranty expires at 50 000 miles. After the two main 'components' of the car failed I cant imagine what breaks next - the engine? And everything happened below 40K miles. Expect to put big $ after you are out of warranty and those issues keep on occurring.

Big Let down

lcole, 10/01/2010

I have owned my GL for three months and have really been let down by the events over the past 4 days. So far, I have a broken strut, failed air suspension system, and peeling clear coat. Total cost of repairs: $1200. Is my dealership as happy to see me now as they were when I purchased? Of course not. My dream car has turned into a total nightmare for me. I loved it because it is one of the few SUVs with a comfortable third row, but now, I see that I can live without a third row and a Mercedes.

Mercedes Failure

German cars, 05/11/2009

Well, I wrote a review and was very pleased after 3 weeks. After a year, I had to get rid of, because I could not stand the tire/suspension problems. Car pulls badly to the right. Dealer says, "Oh, that's just the crown in the road causing that." No way! Wore out tires at 16000 miles and needs an alignment every 3 months. Car gets aligned, and runs true for a few months before starting to pull again. Sorry I ever doubted BMW. Do yourself a favor. Check out the driving characteristics first. If you go on the Mecedes forums, you will see many have the same disappointment.

Fun Car

jay, 11/18/2006

Really nice car for the price. It needs more technology to be used, and they should be standard features, not an options.

This car is terrible

Disappointed, 06/26/2010

Having spent 5 trips to the dealership to fix a litany of oil leaks that originated after the cam sensors caused a total stoppage of the car I can confidently say this car is terrible. Back gate does not work now. Mercedes took 2 months to investigate my persistent oil leak only to send me a letter saying "good thing you have a warranty." Switched from BMW good thing I have some warranty left so I can swallow the loss and chalk it up as a costly experiment. I won't be fooled by MB's glamorous advertising again. Think twice before getting this car. Interestingly it is rumored the new dodge durango will be a GL in disguise.

2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class-320 CDI 4Dr

Sam, 09/12/2008

Own this 13 months, bought brand new. Just completed 50k miles, had no problems. Excellent drive. With this size of SUV mileage is very good 24- 25MPG, perfect for the highway. Owned several SUVs but I think this is the best and think it will last forever. MB has really improved there product. We are very happy.

Still love this car after first 20k

tjl, 08/27/2008

Owned this 07 GL320 CDI for 15 months. Overall fuel efficiency has been 22.7 mpg through 20500 miles. On the highway, we've gotten up to 28 mpg, and always 20+ around town. Very comfortable on long trips or short commutes. Handled heavy winter snowfall in Spokane and North Idaho with ease. Couple of items to be aware of when purchasing. Uses synthetic Mobil 1, so oil changes are every 10- 12k. Oil light comes on occassionally. Dealer states it's a computer glitch that hasn't yet been corrected. OE tires (we have Continental 4x4 Contact 18") are worn out and need to be replaced.

Still Have One of the First and Love It

Chuck, 10/12/2009

I bought one of the first off the assembly line and have been very happy overall. Only problems I had were at 40,000 miles with the cowling around the steering column coming loose and at 48,000 the front wheel bearings going bad. Of course all of these problems were fixed by the dealer. The interior of the vehicle is outstanding, but the view out the rear window is somewhat restricted. And getting into the third row seat takes a little effort. The third row seat has to be one of the most comfortable available. Adults can actually sit there comfortably without their knees in their chest. I'm not crazy about the exterior design. No complaint with the power, it's great!

Overall Pleased

Lauren, 09/14/2006

I owned an ML before and was very excited about the GL when we were first told about it in Jan 2006. We preordered and took deliver May 7, 2006! I loved the car right away, and already have 10,000 miles. Having driven it now for 6 months, I can say that I would make two changes! DVD location, and split 2nd row seats. I have two children (in car seats) and running carpool with this creates big problems getting into the 3rd row! Also, DVD player needs to be accessible and controlled from the front seat! Children cannot unbuckle or get out of carseat to change DVD player that is located under the 2nd row seat! Very poor design for a mother with children! Otherwise, a fabulous car!

Very nice car but...

BM, 09/13/2006

Driving the GL is a great experience, I am very happy with it. After having an Acura and a Lexus, I was happy to be back with MB. I was surprised to see a serious lack of technology. especially with the outdated navigation system (a portable one with a fraction of the price has more features and less complicated) and you should be able to change the radio station or CD without loosing the view of the map. Touch screen is standard in other cars. DVD in the back under the back seat make it imposible to change DVD or start it for the kids without stopping and diving under the seat (mainly it is for kids restrained in the back seat). Need child safety locks for the back doors.

SUV from Utopia

KARL_MD, 10/03/2006

What a vehicle. The complete package, from styling and performance to comfort and luxury. I have only had the black-on-black beauty for several days now, but I can state with certitude that there is no other full-size SUV that comes close to competing. I considered and test drove the 2007 Tahoe, the Armada and the Durango. I am glad that I did not settle for anything short of the GL 450.

Much Better than the ML!

Chris, 12/04/2006

I have had 40 cars in the past 25 years, but this is one of the best! The new GL Class is my 7th MB and the best one to date. Power is smooth and responsive, steering is fluid, sight lines are not restricted. My two complaints are the braking, which is touchy and not fluid, and the seats. The seats could use a deeper bottom cushion for your legs, a la the '07 S Class. I do have the multi contour option which helps, but doesn't solve the problem. Gas mileage is good, reaching about 18-19 on the highway. Interior space is roomy and silent! Air suspension eats up the bumps, too! Barring some lower back pain on long trips, this is the truck for you if you want to haul, be it kids, or cargo

Mercedes wreck

Vero, 03/15/2018
GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

This car has been sitting in my garage & I’m still paying for it. Every 2 months it needed repair. The last straw was the transmission. Beautiful car but it wasn’t build adequately.

Total Disappointment

Clifton, 11/20/2015
GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Poor Poor Quality - Cheap Plastic Inside Car has broken and cracked. AC issues works randomly. Power steering pump leak. Engine camshaft oil leak $1200 (known issue by Mercedes with this model). Poor paint job, clear coat is peeling on roof and front passenger fender. Headlight washers popped off nozzles. Rear lift gate works intermittently. All in all this is a poorly made car and costs a fortune to upkeep. Mercedes should be ashamed to produce such a poor product. I have owned a Rolls Royce that was cheaper to maintain. I currently have 2 ML320s and 2 GL450s both the ML are of higher quality and more reliable.

The Only SUV for a Single Dad

SingleDad, 10/20/2006

Mercedes Benz should pat themselves on the back for this one. This is my 3rd Benz and my favorite. Constantly receive compliments on the looks, both inside and out. Drives like a dream. The car is tight, quiet, comfortable, luxurious, fun, and in a league of its own. As a single dad of 2, it does everything a minivan can do, but does it with masculinity. The only negatives as others have stated is the DVD location and controls are not accessible without stopping the vehicle and pulling over (if you have little ones) and you only have access to the 3rd row from the passenger side of the vehicle. Having said that, nothing is perfect, however this sure is close.

Rides Like A Dream

Florida girl, 10/14/2006

Just purchased a new GL450 , and I am very pleased. The truck drives like a luxury sedan. The interior is very roomy and extremely comfortable. I have three children and they are all very tall and the leg room is quite ample. There are absolutely no blind spots and driving this truck really is a pleasure. It is built like a tank and the solid construction really makes me feel safe. The acceleration is fantastic. No problem passing or entering highways. I have driven several different luxury trucks and this is really my favorite. It's very stylish without being too flashy, and It truly does seat seven adults fairly comfortablly.

GL450

peter ochsner, 10/14/2006

I just trade a 2006 E350 wagon I also own a suburban & a 2006 toyota 4 runner in comparing these suv's the GL rides better 'handles better'more comfortable,looks better & more fun to drive

New M-B GL450 Review

Gary S., 10/16/2006

I have only owned it a week and love it. It has more room than my previously owned 2006 VW Touareg, which was a good crossover SUV which did not enough room for my three sons, even after one just departed for college. Also, the M-B GL450 is so much nicer then my previous 2000 Lincoln Navigator relative to ride, gas mileage, and just plain sophistication. The M-B Tex interior is well worth forgoing the extra $1650 for leather, too. The only feature that could be improved is the back-up camera showing the actual orientation of the vehicle for parking, etc. My VW Touareg had this at $20K less. All in all, this is not a lot different in features then my wife's 2005 M-B S500. Just Great!

Best SUV

MB, 10/21/2006

Probably the best SUV on the market. Smooth, powerful, and fun to drive. A big car, but feels nimble and corners relatively well. It drives like a sedan. It is quiet and you can enjoy your music while the kids can watch DVDs in the back.

Great SUV

mvenki, 10/30/2006

I drove 250mi so far, it is very smooth and great acceleration. My wife likes that soft squishy brakes very much as she hated the 2004 ML's truck like feel on the brakes. I know the car critics review that soft feel as negative (may be used to truck based SUVs?), but I feel softer brakes really helps and relaxes your legs especailly on busy trafic lights, because you dont have to stand on it. My Kids love the rear seat entertainment and it looks like airline biz class seats.

Gotta Love It!

browniemtb, 12/01/2006

We order a new '07 X5 but after having borrowed the demo from the dealer we found the X5 still to small for a family. Still has the BMW performance though. So we purchased the GL450 and found that it has the size for the family and pretty decent performance. The interior features are great and the safety features are even better. Mercedes did a nice job with this vehicle and I think they hit a high luxury SUV market that BMW has yet to hit. If you need room for kids and cargo look no further! I just hope the build quality coming out of Alabama is better than I've read in the past.

It really filled a need

N. Y. owner, 12/15/2006

At 200.3 inches, it is the perfect mid- size SUV( BMWs new X5 just went from 183 to 192 inches -- and is still too small ). Superb driving, passenger comfort, power, and acceleration. 12 inches longer than the ML translates into much greater load capacity. This is the first new car we have purchased in many years (and our first SUV ever). The need was there. Why did Mercedes wait so long?

CDI-GL

Michael, 02/19/2008

Excellent vehicle, needs air pressure to read actual pressure in all tires. Very expensive to maintain. Mercedes does unneccessary things on scheduled manintaince such as check caliper thickness at 10,000 miles. Navigation system is one of the worst in the business but not the cheapest. 19 inch tires and wheels are a joke because the tires cost 3 times as much as 18 or 20 inch. MB tech fake leather is very bad stuff. Blue jeans stain it and it does not breath like leather. Pulls very nice and the brake intregation system is superb but far to pricey.Garage door opener works only on occasion. Very weak signal. All in all it is a very nice vehicle but MB has made it far to expensive to maintain

Aweomse!

Wezzy1, 12/03/2007

I just bought this used with 10K. It got 23 miles per gallon on average, and I drive crazily. Get the diesel, it's quiet, quick (enough) and should last forever

Went from diesel to gas

helilog, 04/24/2008

Traded an ML320CDI diesel for a GL450 gas V-8. The diesel has a narrower power band, more gear shifting, with 3-4 second bursts of huge power on demand in the upper gears. The gas V-8 has a wide, slightly weaker power band, less gear shifting, extended acceleration leaves the diesel for dead. Pick your poison. V-8 averaging 18mpg overall on regular gas, canceling some of the diesel's excellent 25mpg on pricey diesel fuel. The GL air suspension gives a smooth, level ride. Think S-Class. Car-like steering and brakes, much better than the vague, jerky brakes on the diesel. Standard manual rear hatch is light, easy to use. Nav system data entry is tedious, results are confusing.

Worst Car i ever owned

Benz, 09/20/2018
GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

1st repair, cooling hose popped covered by selling dealer 2, air strut $1000 , 3, steering rod thingy $6000 eroded brake line $3000 water in car due to dying battery which opens all doors and windows and let water run into the battery compartment shorting out the head lights and Truck hatch........bought car for 15K make about 15k in repairs if you cannot buy it new stay away .....all the stuff in the other post are spot on 100%

The Best SUV Ever

Jodie Cutter, 01/14/2007

The GL class is by far the most enjoyable and lovable vehicle that anyone requiring cargo space, passenger space, and snowy driving conditions could dream for. It handles beautifully. It abounds in standard luxury (although do add the well- designed P1 package and sunroof package; P1 is equipped with everything you'd want and nothing you wouldn't want) and the exterior lines are gorgeous. I have sampled the new Acura MDX, the Escalade, and the larger Lexus SUV's. There is simply no comparison. The BMW X5 is still too small, too slow without the V8, and the options are overpriced. If you drive the GL450, you will buy it. It's as simple as that.

Great Car

Mike, 08/16/2009

Recently purchased this CPO vehicle and I love it. I haven't had the car long enough to have anything break, but the design, comfort, power, and features are fantastic!

2007 GL450

Halil I Danismaz, 03/12/2010

I bought the machine more than a year ago. Very stylish and powerful. Good for business and causal.

Love this SUV

lovmycars, 05/19/2006

What a great vehicle. Moved from an '01 Landcruiser I loved to this vehicle. Would have bought another "cruiser", but the style and options are a little dated. So far this vehicle is far superior to the "cruiser". The transmission and ride is unbelievably smooth and comfortable. The acceleration is great for such a large truck. It has almost every option you would want in a vehicle of this type and so far they all work wonderfully well. The interior is absolutely beautiful and all of the controls are efficiently located and I understand that most are copied from other Mercedes vehicles, which is good because they have been time tested.

Best Luxury SUV out there

John, 12/26/2006

We traded in our old ML for this one. We looked at the BMW, Audi, Lexus, Infinity, and Acura (wife wouldn't consider the Denali). This is by far the best vehicle if you plan on using the 3rd row, a real person fits back there. This handles like a big S class. Overall it's not too big, not too small, performs beautifully, and fit and finish is as good as it gets. Best luxury SUV out there.

Superb SUV!

mblover, 03/08/2007

Just returned back from vacation and driven a total of 4000 miles. Got about 20 miles/gal. Excellent drive and ride comfort. Love the Off-Road package and P1 and lighting package. All my cars are Benz, but thought about buying Lexus LX470 but ended up buying the lovely GL450.

It's a winner

peter , 09/04/2007

I had an '02 ML500 and currently have an '06 Range Rover. This GL450 is as comfortable as the Range Rover, roomier than both, and the best ergonomics. The transmission is excellent and I like the upshift/downshift buttons on the backside of the steering wheel. Easy to use Navigation and excellent placement of the CD changer in the glove compartment. Rear view camera is clearer than the Rover also. The Rover wins off road but the Benz wins on the highway.

Just Hit 20K

Lawyeretal, 03/28/2008

This was my pick by far based on looks, but I gave my wife the 'command' decision. We drove everything out there from Lexus to Infinity and this one drove most like a car. She picked this one hands down. We have had to have the one of the air shocks replaced, but that was no issue. The fit and finish are superb and everything inside is solid and well constructed. We have taken it on 3 long road trips with 3 kids, and the quiet ride (for the baby), the comfort (my wife) and the joy of driving it (me) have further impressed us to the point that we will probably buy another in a couple years. The older kids love the back seat entertainment package!

Love It

Davis, 05/13/2008

I drove an Acura prior to the GL. I looked at the Navigator and Cadillac SUV, but settled on the GL. It handle well under all types of road conditions. The ride is excellent and comfortable in locally or on long distance travel. My kids love the third row and the room is great. It has been an excellent investment.

Too much repairs

William, 10/13/2018
GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

Nice car but if you have the money in maintenance ok, enjoy, I spent too much money in maintaining and parts for this suv is expensive.

M-B Gets it Right

carl kaseman, 05/26/2006

Drives like a big M-B sedan, which is not perfect (like our BMW M5) but nonetheless very competent and solidly comforting. Unlike most other SUVs that we've driven, the steering feels well connected to the road and very safe at high speeds on the highway. And, it looks right at home in the country club parking lot. The exterior design combines elegance and muscularity in a way that should become the new standard for luxury SUVs. The same can be said for its ergonomics, which are simply outstanding. The controls for its many gizmos and gadgets are readily accessible and fairly intuitive, allowing us to avoid spending our nights reading the owner's manual.

NICEST SUV EVER 1 OWNER

pete claggett, 12/18/2016
GL450 4dr SUV AWD (4.7L 8cyl 7A)

1 OWNER 67K MILES ALWAYS GARAGED AND PERFECT. NO SMOKERS,NO PASSENGERS.TREATED LIKE PART OF THE FAMILY AND HIGHLY MAINTAINED.

Excellent SUV - Worth every penny!

ScottNJ, 05/19/2006

I wasn't 100% sure this vehicle was worth the price when I signed the paperwork. But after a 750 mile trip home the day we purchased it, I was completely convinced. The ride is smooth and silent. The interior is well designed and comfortable. And the vehicle has all of the features a family needs. Our model is loaded with all of the options less the distronic cruise control amd the vented leather fronts seats. I averaged 18.8 MPG on our return trip. Not bad given the vehicle was loaded to capacity. Definitely investigate the keyless go. Walking up to the car with bags in one had and your kid in another and never having to unluck the doors or insert a key to start the gine is nice!

The best vehicle I have ever owned

Prudence Dera, 06/20/2007

This is the best vehicle I have driven. It is a smooth ride. I have a big family and there is enought room for all my four children. The interior is very stylish, I especially like the white stitching on the black leather interior. It is very comfortable.

Classy SUV

NH GL, 06/02/2008

I have to admit that I never knew this model existed. The room in this Mercedes GL has it all over the ML. The quality is light-years ahead of the Escalade. The ride is better than a luxury sedan. Came with an off-road package which I don't expect to need, but nice to know it's there. Rear entertainment, leather, nav, sunroof, and satellite radio are all top notch!

A Quality vehicle

bj, 09/11/2008

I loved this car from the minute we saw it. We were planning to buy Ford or Chevy, but once we stopped at the Mercedes dealer, we couldn't leave without this car. It is an absolute pleasure to drive. We had to have a rear shock replaced, but no other problems after 20 months. Brake pads were worn out after only 15,000 miles which was a shock and disappointment, especially when we found out the cost to replace them. Apparently this is normal for Mercedes brakes. It's a great car, but expensive maintenance.

51050