Used 2007 Mercedes-Benz GL-Class Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used GL-Class for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Great Choice

YAAAAAY, 12/21/2007

It's wonderful that Mercedes-Benz made a large SUV, shortly after our last one gave up. A fantastic alternative to Cadillac, Chevy, and other brands with large SUV's. It work's great in snow and rain. And overall very easy to drive.

Almost perfect

AZ Driver, 11/15/2008

Great driver, fun with plenty of power and comfortable. Good styling, controls are easy to use. It's really a joy to drive. Really disappointed in the quality of the tires-25K and they needed replacing. But the real disappointment is the quality and longevity of the brake pads and rotors. Had to replace both rotors and pads at 27K, unbelievable! You expect much more/better quality from a Mercedes Benz, especially under the mild driving conditions (Speed) in the USA vs the German autobahn. The dealer indicated they have changed material to a softer variation, ostensibly to resolve the squeaking issues that I have read about, but they have done this at significant reliabilty and customer cost

Extraordinary

robert, 06/03/2006

I have owned many Mercedez over the years. I almost bought the new S class because of its beauty and drive until this car showed up and it is a dream. Perfect for my travel needs to the mountains. Only have 1,200 miles today and I love the car. Far better than the R or M class. And far better than Range Rover or the new Audi SUV!

Well built

saleem.qazi, 07/01/2006

Fun to drive. Front end not very smooth. It feels like it's missing rubber bushings in the front. I hope it is an actual Mercedes and not just a name change from Dodge Durango to Mercedes GL450. It will be very disappointing if that's the case. Otherwise, it is a good vehicle. Also, it's difficult to lift the middle row to get the 3rd row.

Outstanding

JOE, 07/13/2006

The comfort and convenience is exemplary. Best seats of any vehicle that I've owned. The vehicle was as steady as my SLK 55 AMG at higher speeds.

Incredible Vehicle

GARY, 08/02/2006

I'm amazed at how comfortable, smooth, responsive and well designed the GL450 is. I actually was able to purchase the Premier Edition and am very happy. The GL even corners well (I also own a CLS500 & Jeep GC SRT8). I get looks everywhere, even received a thumbs up from a new Cadillac Escalade owner! I couldn't be happier with this vehicle, it's one of a just a couple that have exceeded my expectations. In a word this vehicle is almost perfect.

Great Performance

Veronica vicente , 08/16/2006

Driving the new GL Class seven seater has been great and worth the money. I'm very happy with its special high technology. The navigation system is awesome.

Suggest to get a light color interior

J.Rima, 09/17/2006

Fun to drive, but I suggest not to get a light color interior. The light gray dashboard reflects to windshield badly. It feels like driving in smoke, disrupts your vision, and gives you tired eyes.

Great Truck

DAVID, 01/12/2007

This is the third SUV I have owned and by far the best that I have test driven or owned. The options do run up the price, but all of the large luxury SUVs cost big bucks. The GL drives and feels like a MB, is fast quiet, and roomy. Backup camera is a must. Great sound system. Nav system is easy once you learn it.

Best SUV on the Market

Rick C, 02/09/2007

We've owned the GL for three months now, and it has been flawless. I've put 4,000 miles on it, with regular trips from the SF Bay Area to the sierras. It's incredibly solid and comfortable on the highway, completely stable on ice and snow, and easy to drive around town. The car is deceptive, there is a lot of room for both people and cargo hauling. We own this and an E-Class, and the GL feels even smoother to drive than the E. We tried all the 3-row SUVs and nothing on the market comes close to the GL.

Good Rig

chrism1987, 02/10/2007

I have to say Mercedes Benz has done a great job with this vehicle. I had my doubts at first but after driving it for a week now I've really gotten into this thing. Its comfortable, smooth, and can handle alot of cargo if the time comes. 7-speed auto gives the engine maximum flexibility, but it still drinks gas like any full size.

The Best SUV

Louis Magnani, 02/10/2007

I have had other SUV's Mercedes Benz, BMW, Cadillac, lexus and I love my new GL the Best. I t can tow my boat with no problem and I can go on vations with my family. I love the handling and the drive.

Best SUV I've driven so far

Fadi, 02/15/2007

This SUV has everything you dream of having in a vehicle. Quiet and smooth ride, true luxury, powerful brakes, top of the line technology, nice looking, and best of all it's a Mercedes.

Excellent ride

chris, 02/20/2007

Looked at MDX: too small, too ugly exterior. Suburban Z71: looked good with too cheap materials interior for a 50K car. Then we decided to buy the '07 SUV of the year: The Mercedes GL450. The body doesn't look as sexy as the X5 we have, but for the big 3rd row seat, the cargo space, it can't get any better than this. Fit and finish of the exterior and interior is excellent, beautiful. That's all I can say. I also test drove the Audi Q7. I like the look and the exclusive status of Audis, but the materials they used is nothing close to Mercedes or BMWs. With a comparable V8 engine, Audi wants $60k plus. That's why you don't see many people driving Audis.

Love my GL

cindykoz, 02/19/2007

This is my first Mercedes and my 2nd SUV. I love it. We have 3 small children all in car seats and we all fit very comfortably and easily with room for friends. We live in central New York and have had about 5-6ft of snow since we picked up the GL, it handles it like a dream. We will be adding running boards as it's a bit high for small kids and grandparents.

Mercedes Sedan Disguised as an SUV

Jeff, 02/21/2007

This is our second MB. We also own an '05 ML350 and have been very happy with it. My wife traded her 04 Acura MDX for the new GL. We looked at the new 07 Acura MDX and although the Acura appears to be a good value we were not impressed by the overall build quality of our 04 MDX vs 05 ML350. We also looked hard at the new BMW X5 V8 but determined it was no larger than the Acura MDX and takes you into the price range of the much larger, faster, smoother and more practical GL. We just hit 3,000 miles and we are still fighting over who gets to drive.

A Pleasure to Drive

Michael Ettinger, 03/05/2007

Traded my S500 4matic for the loaded GL 450 last December and haven't looked back. This is my umpteenth Benz since 1984 and I have finally found the machine to replace my previous favorite, the last generation E350 4matic wagon. The GL's ride height and comfort are outstanding. Acceleration is there when needed. Fit and finish are first rate. In fact, it feels like you are riding a sedan. Everything is offered on this vehicle that you could want, except perhaps ventilated seating but this may be nitpicking. Love this car so much that I pat it on the hood ever time I pass it in my garage. A car you can bond with. Bravo, Mercedes!

Big & Green

Mike Hlinak, 03/22/2007

I gave my Acura MDX to my daughter and was looking for another solid SUV. Fell in love with the MB GL450 at first sight. Beautiful inside and out. Then saw the 320CDI version and drove it. Couldn't believe it was a diesel. Who would believe that you could have large comfortably luxury in an SUV and get 27 mpg on the highway? I was only worried about recent MB quality surveys on Consumer Reports but felt a little better given that the GL was totally redesigned.

Fluid and fun

My first Mercedes, 04/14/2007

Quality, size, fast, and fun, the list could go on. I wanted a large SUV and ended up comparing Navigator, Escalade and the GL. In my opinion, there is no contest.

The best full size SUV on the market

Steve, 04/11/2007

I've only had my vehicle for about a week and I can say with confidence that this is the best luxury full size SUV on the market. I've driven and researched all other full size SUV's and they don't even compare! This vehicle is quiet, comfortable, smooth as silk. "Quiet as a mouse" diesel engine and transmission, and drop dead good looks. I keep driving around and never see the fuel gauge move as this vehicle with the diesel gets incredible mileage. Don't walk, run to your nearest dealer and order one as they are getting tougher to find due to the great demand.

A Superior SUV

Great Benz, 04/26/2007

I wanted to move out of my less than dependable Volvo XC90 into a larger vehicle with better mileage. I looked at everything and eventually bought the diesel GL320 for the following reasons: Exceptional mileage for such a large vehicle. The performance of the diesel engine is superior to that of the twin turbocharged gas engine in the XC90, as well as some of the larger V8's. Extremely quiet and comfortable ride. The standard air suspension is perfect. Initial impression is that it is as solid as a bank vault. Crossing my fingers that the recent Mercedes quality problems do not crop up. At 2,800 miles, best vehicle ever

Mercedes Has Set The Bar

str8line, 04/19/2007

Our family has had this vehicle for two weeks and it is spectacular. My wife is the primary driver and she loves it. I've gotta think that some Americans (Chrysler influence?) were involved in the design parameters because the Germans finally nailed what an SUV should be. This chameleon is amazingly user friendly and provides everything you could want in a large SUV but somehow feels diminutive from behind the wheel. The interior is truly something to behold. Stitched leather, gorgeous wood accents, and appealing angles abound. A++

Why not to get the GL450/550

Lazy Labradors, 08/18/2007

Surprised at the fit and finish of an American assembled MB. Quite a departure from my '98 ML320 that my mechanic often cursed 'this is not a Mercedes!' Why choose the GL450/550 when 1) gas version comes at a $2500 premium over the diesel (not the case usually with diesel vehicles) 2) gas version requires premium unleaded fuel (premium still costs more than diesel) 3) the diesel gets 18/24 gas gets 13/18 ( GL550 will fare worse); average economy for both cars at 12k miles/year and factoring price differences for premium vs. diesel you'd save ~$600/yr in fuel savings on top of the $2500; Not noisy, not slow, no smoke or smell; 0-60 who cares?? it's an SUV

New GL450 Outperforms Competition

TREM52, 08/20/2007

My wife and I test drove 5 other luxury SUV's and this outperformed the competition by a wide margin. The quality of this MB SUV is outstanding and you get what you pay for. The acceleration beats the competition and the ride is similar to the S-class sedan. Overall, it seems like something out of their AMG class. The GL takes the corners well and the interior is very quiet even on dirt roads. The upgraded sound system plus navigation is a must have! Plenty of room for the two kids and lots of storage room. With the third row seat up there is limited room but the competition had even less. We look forward to numerous road trips in the future!

Constructive Criticism

JohnP in Boston, 07/05/2007

I love this car and it's really a dream to own and drive. I had a problem with the power tailgate not working. The NAV system is a bit primitive and prone to error. This is still the best car that I have had the privilege to own and I highly recommend it.

Excellent SUV

wmriii, 05/30/2007

This is a great SUV. My family has had a Suburban for the past 14 years and it was time to downsize a bit. GL drives like a car, is extremely comfortable and has about every extra that we need. There are a few minor changes I would like to see. First, the windshield is at an angle which reflects the dash. Very distracting and third row seat dificult to get in. Should have automatic second ro fold up. Other than those minor issues and one major problem with parktronic (below) which was eventually fixed, this is one of the best cars we have owned and we hve owned most of them.

Should have compared

new2MB, 03/03/2008

This is my 1st MB, got a good deal and jumped at the chance to own it. I love the way it handles, compared to my old standard SUV's. I wanted something smaller with room for the kid's sports stuff. The GL450 does not have an armrest so on long trips, anything over 30 min. my right arm goes numb, then I move it down to the bottom of the wheel, feeling less in control and still not comfortable. The navigation is very inadequate. Hard to operate compared to most on the market now. Should have compared more vehicles and not just gone for looks.

Great SUV

weeweeC, 08/12/2007

Traded in a Land Rover Lr3 for the Gl450. Wow what a difference! Better and smoother ride, more power, more luxurious, more amenities. The car is a real head turner. We are very happy so far.

150k miles and ZERO PROBLEMS!!

Gas doc, 06/28/2019
GL320 CDI 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 7A)

I wish they still made them ☺️

51050