Used 2002 Mazda Protege5 Consumer Reviews - 234 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mazda Protege5 Consumer Reviews

Base 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (234 reviews )

Sweet little peach
By Season

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This little girl has been mine for 13 years and she has gotten me everywhere I need. Through snow and rain. Currently have 245,000 on her and she trucks through the Gorge doing 80. I love this car!! Only issues I've had is brakes. I don't ride the brake and I've mostly been a commuter till I retired so don't know what that's been about. I've hauled everything but hay inside her and she looks a bit worn for the wear but hangs in there. She still looks pretty good parked in a parking lot. Clear coat has not been great. Small things have been replaced but nothing major. I have a tranny pan leak but that still hasn't stopped her. If you're looking for a small get around 2nd car, I place my bet on a Mazda Protege.

I love this car. bought it new 5 speed manual
By GColleen

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is Over 15 years old and I know I should replace it but I just can't let it go. I have another newer car that sits in the driveway while I drive this one every where. It has ~170K on it and I expect to get a lot more out of it. I put 20K on it the 1st year because it was so fun to drive. It hugs the road in corners and gives a surprising amount of power on acceleration as long as you know the right shifting RPM. I rarely have to back off when getting on the freeway due to lack of speed. The 5 speed manual is the only way to go. I had a friend with an automatic and it broke down a lot but who knows how it was treated before she got it. I've kept up the maintenance on mine per the owners manual. I have had a couple of repairs in year 13 and 14 but I've definitely gotten my money out of it. It has always had road noise but there are no wind noises or rattles due to poor craftsmanship or quality. The power moon roof and windows still work. The floor mats went south so I had to buy after market and the gear shift writing has worn off but other than that the interior still looks almost like new. The exterior paint has held up well, though the spoiler has oxidized. Probably nothing a little elbow grease would not remedy. When I have this car detailed it does look almost like new. The car sits very low to the ground and as I age it takes a little more effort to get out of it than it did 10 years ago. I would not recommend it for anyone who has trouble lifting their own weight or trouble standing under their own power. The car is really light and will slip in the rain without the rain tires. That was the only fault. Scared me at first but it was largely due to the cheap stock tires. Soon as I put a set of Goodyear rain tires on it, the car handled much better in the rain. The best MPG I've ever done is 30 MPG on a flat highway. I do a mix of city and highway driving so the mileage is around 25. If it drops below 23, you probably have something going on with your tires or your tuneup.

Fun, Reliable car to drive with some not so good features
By jwonger

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car from my brother 4 months ago. It currently has 157k miles on it and it runs great. Just changed the timing belt at 155k and so far its been running like a dream. Its a great affordable commuter car that has some quick speed on turns. Very reliable, every Mazda my family has owned has had 230k+ miles put on it. Definitely will be buying another Mazda after I put another 100k miles on this one!

I've taken it to the snow and get through no problem. It ain't know Subaru but throw some chains on it and it runs fine through the snow. Love the roof rack that was included with the car! Reliablilty: A+

You'd think this car with a 2.0L Engine would be a little quicker than it is off the line. Pedal to the floor and doesn't beat many cars, (my dads Corolla beats it). Interior features are not so great. Small Center console and no behind the seat storage.The cup holders only fit certain sized cups and if they are too tall they don't fit without spilling all over your gear shift. The trunk is a decent size, I suggest getting a trunk organizer to put all the stuff that you couldn't put in the center console or behind the seats.

Great, practical car
By srutig

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is so fun to drive! It feels fast even at lower speeds and handles great. It is still a joy to drive with the automatic transmission. This is an extremely practical car- great for everyday commutes or for first time drivers. This car is also very reliable and running great after 11 years.

mazda protege 5 2002
By myras

2002 Mazda Protege5 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car! The best i have ever had! I just had no choice to take it off the road due to the frame holes all through it. Rust is very bad on the car its had alot of body work done to it! All floors, All wheel wells, Bottoms to all the doors! Motor out lived body! Motor is great! Runs fantastic! Rust is my whole problems with this car!

Motor motor motor ! They are great! 170,00 miles still running on the original clutch!

Frames are really bad! Body rust bad!