Used 2009 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Kia Spectra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Spectra model:

Good Commuter Car
By Alexmb

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Over all really good car to go off to college with for what I paid. I bough it with 32,000 miles at the end of 2012 now end of 2016 around 60,000k. I have had no major issues with the car just I have done standard maintenance and only thing that I have replaced are headlights, tires and windshield wipers. Easy to control in tight spots. It still has the standard radio system which works well including the aux input and cd player. Really like having sunroof makes the car feel more open. Only complaint would be the clear coat which has started peeling.

Better than I had hoped
By nolarobert

2009 Kia Spectra SX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Spectra SX new in July of 2009. It was priced to move since the brand new 2010 Forte was hitting the market. If I could have afforded to spend more I would have likely gone with the Honda Fit. Imagine my surprise 8 years later that my Spectra is still going strong with no major issues. It has proven to be an enjoyable car that is darned reliable.

Love the car
By puppywhipsers

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Spectra 8 months ago with barely over 8,000 miles on it, I bought it because of the manual transmission and so far I love the car.
The only trouble I have experienced is the cruise control won't always set, it goes to the dealership on Monday. Contrary to other reviews I get excellent mileage on my KIA.
I commute 55 miles one way to work, I have gotten anywhere from 30-38 mpg depending on my driving habits (if you know what I am saying ;)).
My in town mpg is even better, I regularly get 40+ mpg and have had as high as 52mpg in town. I recalculated 3x because I couldn't believe it! It's a great car and with the sunroof & factory rear spoiler and on it, it looks sporty too!

>I love the manual transmission and mpg's. >The sunroof and spoiler give the car a sporty look. >It's quite roomy for a small car. >Price is very affordable. >Safety features, front and side airbags. >Experience with Kia dealerships has been easy and very friendly. >Warranty coverage.

nicer wheels, for the sporty look. (appeals to the younger and the young at heart)

Can't Stand This Car
By soldiermusic

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned several cars in my driving years and I can look back fondly on various aspects of pretty much all of them.
This car is an unfortunate exception.
I absolutley loathe this car.
It is very easy to oversteer and difficult to get back on track if you need to make a sudden swerve.
The mileage is substandard.
It gets about 26mpg highway.
(My Sedona mini-van gets 22-23.)
Please note I am not a leadfoot driver and I don't make hard accelerations.
I'm pretty easy on my cars. Also, the driver's seat is worse that sitting on a wagon bench.
At least a covered wagon doesn't have two bars right in line with my anatomy.
And no, I'm not a very large or old person.

It was cheap and has a decent warranty.

It would be fine-ish if not used for long distance driving. I have a 65 mile commute to work so 26mpg costs me alot of money compared to my old beat up Civic that still got 36 with an engine that was shot. The seats are downright painful if seated for more than a short distance, so it would be great to see them overhaul the seat design. I have not owned this car for long, so I can't say anything about reliability, but I can say I will be getting rid of this car ASAP!!!

Totaled after one accident
By chintanshah

2009 Kia Spectra EX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car was pretty great for when I had it. I bought it used last year. There were no major issues and it was an overall awesome car.

Unfortunately, I got into an accident a couple of months ago where someone hit my front right wheel/door side head on. I was going about 40-50 and he had just pulled out, so I'd say about 15 or so. The damage didn't look too terrible except that the wheel and door were bent inward, the center dashboard popped out, and the passenger airbag broke the windshield (no glass was actually shattered).

It turned out that the frame ended up being twisted inside along with the other problems I mentioned which totaled it out. My passenger and I were safe at least!

The aux port in the car was nice, no need to bring CDs. Overall, a really smooth ride.

Make the passenger airbag not break the windshield on deployment. Airbags alone are expensive to replace!