Used 2008 Honda S2000 Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S2000 model:

My Baby
By Tony Raimondi

2008 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

Best car and best investment in a car I ever made. Bought new in 2008 in Minnesota. Got me through 8 winters with winter Michelin X-ice tires. The car is everything a true roadster should be. Excellent, crisp handling, power, especially when V-Tech kicks in. The car is very reliable and has excellent fit and finish. The car does not have all the latest electronic gadgets. The car was built for one thing, impeccable performance and cornering, excellent reliability, and a reasonable price. What the car was built for it does exceptionally well. People ask me on occasion if I want to sell. Not happening. Love my S2000.

2008 S2000 with low mileage
By Tim Dunigan

2008 Honda S2000 CR 2dr Convertible w/AC, Audio (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

You must be of small stature. This is no vehicle for a person who is much taller than 6' and not very wide. The cockpit is small and somewhat cramped. The car has virtually no low end torque. Only when you hit around 5,500 RPM (VTEC engagement) does the vehicle scream. Great looking and extremely reliable, parts are Honda, therefore not as expensive as say my Audi. In the ten years that I have owned it, my only complaint (at first) was that the dealership would not change the oil until the idiot counter was < 15%. I understand why. The engine leaves the factory with special brake-in fluids added to the oil, and if changed before, the engine runs the chance of leaking. I waited until < 15% (~ 4,000 miles) and have never experienced any problems. As aforementioned, the car draws a crowd wherever she goes. This is a second car in my state of West Virginia. You cannot drive it in the snow, even the owner's manual tells you that. I drive an Audi Q3 Prestige most of the time, presently (winter) with studded snow tires. The S2000 I only drive on nice days. It is not a trailer queen, but she has never been in the rain. As the saying goes, "I love my Honda."

It's been a year since I last wrote this review and my thoughts have not changed. The mold was broken when Honda stopped production of the S2K. As of today, no other roadster delivers such as much of a fun drive, exhilarating, for such a low price.

I have the standard roadster and am pleased with it. The dash is still simplistic, as my Porche 914 was. Yes, it's loud and high revving, that's the fun of it. Road noise is terrible, but I do not use this as a daily driver. It is my FUN car.

I bought this roadster new, still < 8k miles, and you couldn't give me enough to sell it. I recently read that a senior executive at Honda said that there was NO plan to bring back or redo the roadster. The reason: "There's no money in it."

Thank you Honda!

seat time.....
By jagg

2008 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

no one has reviewed a Stewie here for 3 years..............I just logged my 100,000th mile driving an S2000. I started with a 2003 for the first 6 years, and now driving my 2008 for 5+ years. If you fit in this car, and know how to drive it, you have just found the most economical path to Nirvana. The car is profoundly reliable. I commute with it in an environment perfectly suited to its abilities, and average 26-27mpg.........If you know cars, you can tell that it's hand built to a very exacting standard............For the daily grind, the S is more fun than the NSX, and a closer match at the track than most would think. If one truly loves to drive on the raggedy edge, and has the feet to do it, the little roadster is as capable as 95% of all that one can buy, let alone afford.

Pure bred sports car!
By gs5019

2008 Honda S2000 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I have owned too many cars in life, from Porsches to BMW , several Miatas and many more. This car does the best job at what it tries to be-an uncompromising almost perfect handling car. I have run it on road courses and it rotates better than anything I have driven. Balanced, better than average brakes and the vtec surge of power when needed. I'm sorry Honda didn't continue with production. I was excited about the prospects of a six cylinder. But I'll trade a pound of power for a pound of handling all day long. This car delivers it! And it has Honda reliability.

Handling, great cockpit, layout of instruments, seats, short shifts, styling, almost everything!

About 60 more horses and it would be a perfect car!

Not just willing, eager
By dynosaur0

2008 Honda S2000 CR 2dr Convertible (2.2L 4cyl 6M)

I've owned many cars over forty years: Sunbeam Alpine, Alfa Romeo Spyder, MGB and BMW 2002, back when. With a family, later, I was lucky with more practical, fun cars: VW GTI and BMW M3. Last year, I bought my S2000 in rich, pearlescent Rio Yellow. My wife was worried about the yellow. After she saw it, she said it was a perfect color for the shape and character of the car. This is the most eager, engaging car I've ever driven. It doesn't isolate you from the road or insulate you from the experience of covering ground. This is the most reliable open-top sports car made. Its instantaneous responses to driver input make it the best performance value available.

Transmission/ shifter; the Jekyll and Hyde nature of the VTEC engine; which, contrary to a previous review, does not have less power than previously. The U.S. formula for computing HP in 07 resulted in an apparent decrease of 3 HP, though nothing was changed. The unglitzy cabin quality is great.

A bit more cabin storage space would be welcome. Otherwise, non-distracting character of the driver-oriented interior is just about perfect.