Used 2000 Honda Civic Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Civic for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Why didn't someone tell me these were so fun??

smooshies, 06/01/2011

This is the best car I have ever owned, and I have owned about 10 different cars and trucks. This even beats the Toyota Truck that took me to Canada, Mexico, New York, Seattle, San Diego, Chicago, and everywhere in between. I bought this go cart from a super shady dealer, but even they couldn't make it not run. Best 5 grand I ever spent. It's comfy enough for my two year old, but zippy enough to scoot around town quickly and easily. And, you can park in the tiniest spots EVER. No complaints here. Just wish they were easier to find unmolested... No I do not want that terrible body kit and engine that you slapped together with your buddies!

335K and Counting

Frank Ruelas, 07/11/2015
DX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Changing the oil every 3,000 miles without fail and doing other maintenance has kept my Civic running beautifully. I drive 100 miles round trip every day to work. Enough said...getting 40 MPG. I received and email for an update...car now at 350K...and still running great!

2000 Honda Civic LX Sedan

lazarus629, 02/28/2002

Simply unbelievable value. Typical Honda "bullet-proof" quality in a fun to drive, roomy, economical, slow-depreciating car. A real home run. In terms of total cost (which of course includes depreciation), probably the least expensive car to drive. And it really can fit four adults! Miserly with gas and still peppy and can run all day at freeway speeds.

A dual-purpose car

frederick, 05/17/2010

I bought this car used with 110,000 miles on the clock and unmolested, actually it was a Canadian Model (SiR). First thing about this car is the handling. With double-wishbone front suspension and independent rear, it just felt like you can go into any corner at speed! However, what makes this unique (applies to all Hondas with VTEC) is the VTEC engine. low-rpm is great for gentle in-town driving (or when you are calm). When you wanna gun it down, just hold the rev up and virtually no other NA cars can keep up with you, not to mention the sound and the turbo-feel when it does that.

Point A to point B. That's the point.

icvci, 01/17/2003

My 2000 DX hatchback is the perfect car for the price. Fold the rear 50/50 split seats down and the interior turns into a 21 cubic foot cargo area. Things I have taken home in my Civic Hatchback - 32 inch TV in it's box also in the car at the time, my wife, two empty 5 gallon water bottles, a small tool box, and an unassembled stand for the TV. 1 Maytag Neptune washer My 2 dalmatians, my wife, golf clubs, and luggage for a week's vacation. All this while getting from 32 to 42 MPG!

Best car ever

Ryan, 05/29/2016
LX 4dr Sedan

So I got this car about 3 weeks after I got my license for 3500. It had 50k miles on it and Lotta body damage. But this car is awesome. If your by yourself and there's nothing heavy in your car. The acceleration isn't half bad for a tiny engine. The handling on this is crazy good. You can go around turns and corner stuff so easy. I think I've filled it up once in 3 weeks because of how good the mileage is. This isn't too big of an issue but for people who go really fast on the interstate. 90 is probably the fastest you ever want to be going in this car. It can go over 100 if it wants to but after 90 it just gets scary. This car is just fun to drive because you have total control. My model had no traction and stability control or abs. So the safety of this car is in the drivers hands.

Great commuter car

Jimbo, 10/30/2009

Bought this car new and have put 230,000 trouble free miles on it. Seriously I have only done oil changes, tires, brakes, and the timing belt. Although I am still getting 36 mpg in mostly highway driving, it is getting a little long in the tooth and am looking for a new car. Want to by domestic, but cannot bring myself to not buy a Honda.

I love this little car!

calisun7, 04/29/2013

I bought this car new off the lot in 2000 and to this day it has been the BEST purchase I have ever made. She has a few miles on her now, over 100,000, and still runs wonderfully and I have never had a problem. I intend on keeping this car and maintaining it to at least 200,000.

thanks for the fond memories

t4kinase, 01/20/2007

The 2000 Si is a wonderful car to own; repairs are inexpensive and infrequent, maintenance is a snap, and driving this car is a pure joy. If you want to upgrade and modify, there probably isn't a more versatile car out there. I owned my Si for 6 years, and sadly, it was stolen from me just before Christmas! To whomever did this...Karma is coming, and she won't be kind!

The Last of the Simple Hondas....

Kris, 09/16/2015
DX 2dr Hatchback

Absolutely love this car! Purchased a respectable example with low-mileage five years ago. Gave it a very comprehensive service and full detail and she has been running like a clock ever since then. Almost 130k and it consistently nets me 38-45mpg with a mix of 80% highway and 20% city driving. Although highway merging requires planning with only about 105hp, the 5sp manual helps control the power band better than the automatic. Winter conditions in an FWD are no problem with good tires and a manual. Interior has worn very well for its age. Although not modern, it is simplistic, which is a major antithesis to the gadget-laden stuff on sale today. Hatchback is cavernous for its size with folding seats. Exterior has held up mostly well, although there are initial signs of a few rust bubbles around the rear wheels. Washed monthly and hand-waxed every couple of months has kept the paint mostly bright. Lives up to the "bulletproof Honda" mantra. High-quality synthetic and filter every 7500mi. Issues I have had are very minor (cracked distributor cap, frozen crank window regulators, lower ball joints, wonky A/C clutch) and have been low-cost to fix with good parts. Normal schedule for filters/fluids and preventative replacement of major wear components in the last 40k miles (clutch, brakes, full exhaust, shocks/struts, ball joints, etc.) should see this car get to 200k no problem. I'd most certainly buy one again!

Decent Car

Chopper, 01/15/2007

I got my 2000 Civic in Aug. 2006, and it is a decent car overall. I like that it gets good gas mileage and that it is very reliable, but Honda could have made it a lot better. First off, the LX does not have ABS brakes, even though my 94 Integra did (which is built by Honda), and my Civic does not have too much HP, its around 104 HP. The inside does look cheap, but its comfortable. The exterior design is nice, but it does scratch and dent easily.

Another Honda for the history books...

00siboy, 08/15/2011

I bought my 2000 Civic Si with 146k miles on it. A few thousand miles later had to rebuild the engine because the piston rings were cracked and lost compression. But every other component on the car works great (coupled with regular maintenance of course). Great power after rebuild, tons of fun especially in VTEC above 6k rpms!

Great little econobox

Adam, 02/16/2010

I bought this car fresh off the lot with 17 miles on it. It now has 198,000 miles and still running great. No major mechanical issues and provides worry free driving with only regular scheduled maintenance. Even with the high mileage I still average between 31-35mpg on the highway!

untitled

nbjhfl,uyhvjhn, 09/17/2003

This is a hassle free city car. Very versatile. Park anywhere, haul a good amount of stuff and reasonably pleasing to look at. Not a car to be excited by but certainly one to depend on.

2nd DX Hatchback

CJ, 10/14/2005

I bought my 2000 Civic DX Hatchback in May 2003, I at the same time had a 1991 Civic DX Hatchback that I bought when it was 8 years old (and would still have it, but Husband wrecked it!). I love these cars, perfect for running around anywhere & everywhere. Fold the Seats down, take the dogs to the Vet, load up luggage & take a road trip. And on the Highway gas mileage cant be beat, get close to 350 miles on 1 tank, & then I was REALLY movin (yes, had the radar detector on). Parking is a breeze can park in lots of spaces other vehicles have to pass up, easy to wash (15 Mins). Other than routine maintenance, fill the Tank, & take off! I'll be sure & buy another....Overrall Best Car I ever had.

great car!

manso, 10/31/2006

I have had it for a year and I have saved lots of money on gas. I have only had to do normal maintenance on it! I have peaked up to 46 miles a gallon, but stay around 39-44. (I don't pass 2500 rpms) It has treated me very well and hasn't hurt my pocket book too bad. I would recommend the standard only, it has saved me from a few tight spots that an automatic wouldn't. It has a weak engine, but it is easy to manipulate with a standard and handles well. Remember though, this is a compact so it isn't the smoothest ride nor the roomiest, but I don't mind it.

Good Car So Far

roland, 04/06/2010

There haven't been any major troubles about this car. I've had to replace the exhaust manifold and oxygen sensor which cost ~$200, however, that really improved fuel efficiency. Before, I was getting around 28 mpg, but after I replaced those two, I'm getting 37 mpg on the highway. Because it has a small engine the car does not accelerate fast, however, it is pretty decent. The gas is quite sensitive as it has some special fuel injection system. This is an efficient car, but the seats leave much to be desired, they are a bit stiff. I had to buy padding for them.

A Little Disappointed

jan, 03/09/2006

Little things on cars tend to break down when it reached 100k, this car was one of them. 106k miles and 6 years later, I had problems with the catalytic converter (I was told that this was the most common break-down for Honda cars). It cost me around $1000 to have the part, and among other things, fixed. The left speaker stopped working right after my warranty expired. The interior of the car rattled and squeeked when hitting bumps on roads. I read one of the reviews and it stated that this model was overrated, that's true. Honda doesn't make the same quality like it used to. My family bought a truck and have driven 280k miles, yet no mechanical problems; only the CD player doesn't work.

I'm sticking with Honda

Karen, 06/24/2008

I love this car! It goes in the snow quite well and gets great mileage. I've had this car for seven years. Problems have problems with the trim (inside/outside) heat shield keeps falling off-power windows seem to be questionable and manifold was found to have a crack in it within one week of the 80,000/8 year and was fixed for free by Superior Honda of Uniontown. The service from the dealership has been excellent. The A/C seems a little sluggish to me but all in all I expect to have this car for at least another 8 years so long as the snow and salt don't do it in first.

Excellent Auto

Don, 06/28/2008

Have owned this Car since March 2000. In my 8 years of ownership I have replaced the oxygen Sensor at 32,000 miles a battery at 33,000 miles and that's it. It runs beautiful and averages 35 City & 39 Highway MPG's. I had changed the Spark Plugs at 20,000 miles to Iridium Plugs, they improved mileage. I keep the car garaged and the finish is perfect and car runs perfect now at 35,500 original miles. I had taken several trips from Florida to Ohio and had registered as high as 41 MPG on several trips. If you need a reliable car and can find one of these with low miles, grab it. They run great and handle perfect on the road.

2000 Civic

JG, 06/30/2008

I bought this car new and it has been well worth the money. It has never needed repairs just minor routine maintenance. The gas mileage is great and the reliability is awesome. 160K miles and going strong. I will keep this car until it just wont go any longer, I'm thinking 250K miles easy.

Must buy civic version. Better than 2001

Great Car. , 07/08/2008

Driven the car to San Diego from Bayarea and to Reno. Gas mileage 33- 37 MPG is comparable to Civic Hybrid 41 MPG (had 04'Hybrid). Do not bother to purchase Civic hybrid cos it will not get even close to 45 MPG let alone 50 MPG. Sold it and bought yr 2000 for the better power and better driving experience than my other 4-dr 01' EX. Not sure bout Civic EX 2002-2008 version of Civic.

Great Car!

HappyOne, 08/09/2008

I love my civic! It is spunky and has great torque for being a 4 cyl. I always get compliments for the sharpness of the gas and the incredible feel of the brake system. Wonderful car! Only major problem was with exhaust manifold, but a great dealership replaced it for free because it was a recall on many civics (you can look up the vin to see if it qualifies).

Impressive

Lee, 08/21/2008

Bought it as a new car in 2000 (first Honda car), with the idea to keep it for about 5 years. After 8 1/2 yrs and 100K I still cannot convince myself to give it away. As other people have mentioned, it only needs gas besides scheduled maintenance. I did not have to change as much as a light bulb outside maintenance. Great mileage 30-32 in suburban traffic, 36 on the hwy. Drove it 2500 miles across US during moving in only 3 days: no problem. Incredibly stable and agile considering it's a small car with 106 hp. Next one will be a Honda for sure ...

Great car, just not that big

samiam11, 11/14/2008

I bought this car as an upgrade from my 1996 hatch and it was a definite change. There is definitely more power and throwing in power steering doesn't hurt the situation. The power in the car won't put you pack in your seat (maybe at the higher end of first gear), but it's a nice change from the paltry 106 hp of the lower end models. The car has done nothing but run great for me. The only problems I've had are that the alignment of my driver's side window motor turned bad, but I fix all things myself and it was quite easy. The other problem was that the exhaust pipe rusted through, which was also a problem on my other Honda. Again, not much of a problem and an easy fix.

My Little Honda

PHX, 01/14/2009

I bought my Civic new about 8 years ago. My A/C went out just before the warranty was out. That would've been a $1400 fix had it happened 250 miles later. Other than that, I've had no problems until recently. It now has 128,000 miles on it. The transmission needs to be rebuilt and the front brakes need to be fixed. There are a couple of other leaks and seeps that also need to be addressed. Per the dealer, will be about $4000 to fix all. I'm not happy with the transmission going out so early, but that could be from my driving, or some other factor. This car had definitely been reliable!

The Best Car I've Ever Owned!!!

suki, 02/13/2009

What can I say, I love my Honda Civic HX Coupe. I bought this car after owning two domestic lemons and could not have been happier over the past nine years. Gas mileage is exceptional, I easily get 40+ mpg on every tank of gas. I learned how to drive manual transmission on this car, so it has definitely been put through some stress and still, she runs like new. For the first 8 years of ownership, this car was virtually maintenance free except for regular oil changes. I have replaced the tires, plugs, window regulator and muffler, but all of these things are minor. Honestly, I could not have ever asked for a more dependable car. It will be a sad day when I finally have to trade her in.

Great Car

r3n3gad3II, 03/08/2009

This was my very first car which I got for graduation present. In 9 years that I have owned it no problems have ever occured. The mpg was excellent. Only had to put full tank every week and a half. I just wished it had a little power, but for the price and reliability, it was well worth it. The interior design was a little dull but oh well. This car can be parked anywhere u want. Living in SF with such a horrible parking, takes no time to find parking.

Awesome Car

chardious, 05/19/2002

Great car. Best car I have ever owned. When this one dies I will for sure buy a new honda

Hondas are the best!

nowayanoin, 12/05/2009

I purchased this car after owning 4 Saturns which had no problems out of and got an avg mileage of 40 mpgs, I was worried about the price it would be to fix, and up keep a Honda, but have had no problems in the past 2 yrs. Only work that I have done is oil, brake, and tire changes! Bought the car with 120000 miles in 2007 now has 250,000 and runs like the day it did when I bought it! It is a very comfortable car. I am 5'11" and the seats are very supportive and show little wear! Very fun car to drive and gas mileage is amazing, get 34-38 mpg! Would strongly recommend getting a Honda to anyone!

This car has been a winner

Jim, 01/02/2010

After ten years on the road and 162,000 miles, this Civic EX is performing admirably. No major problems whatsoever.

Great car for what it is.

Rob Johnson, 06/30/2002

This was my first new-car purchase and first car out of High-school. My previous car was an '86 Accord that got me hooked on the Honda nameplate. This car is very well-built. I have 50k+ miles so far and I have not had even the slightest problem. It gets awesome gas milage as well. My only complaint is that the insurance is insanely high on this car. Even more so if your a single male under 25 like me. Performance is not the greatest, although not the worst either. (But then again, what do you expect from an economy car?) I would highly recomend the 5-speed manual for a car like this.

Great to get around in!

Jeannine, 11/09/2010

This 5 speed was my best friend! It was my go-to, do anything car. I drive a lot for work and through the wind, rain, and snow, my Honda got me to the far corners of south jersey in incredible time even in it's later days of 115,000 miles. GREAT ON GAS!! Especially if you're good at stick shift. VERY RELIABLE! Only work I had done was the timing belt at 90,000 miles (which is recommended) and the normal oil changes, air filters, tires, etc. Make sure you don't burn it up too much racing, that synthetic oil will go quick as the pick up in this baby. All in all it was a load of fun and great memories, with no tragic ones.

11 years later, still in love

jimmert, 04/30/2011

This was my first car I ever owned and I got it while I was in college. It has 92K miles currently and I think it can go another 11 years and 100k easily. I did have to rebuild the transmission 2 years ago due to my lazy upkeep and the short stop-n-go trips I had to work and back. I decided to go ahead with the expense because of the sentimental reasons and during the past 2 years it's been real reliable since I moved farther away from work it's now a 12 mile hw commute instead of 3. The weatherstripping along the doors has cracked exposing the chrome below due to the car being parked in the sun most of the time. Still this car has been awesome, 32-35mpg and I enjoy driving it everyday.

Simply a good car

melanie, 02/21/2003

This car has been fun to drive, very reliable, and fantastic on fuel economy.

Good small car

cl8855, 05/17/2005

I bought this car in 2000 for my wife to be. Excellent gas mileage, good looks, nice handling. Overall, I wish I had bought the EX version. The fit and finish on this was not as good as my Accord. A little slow on the get-go unless you rev the engine super high. No trunk opener on the keyless entry.

Awsome car, recommended to anyone.......

MY FIRST car+Best , 10/12/2005

I bought this 2000 civic Dx, the gas is cheap, is a little more expensive than American car, but its worth it to spent a little more for better quality. I'm just 19 years old, I paid it all in cash, and is my first car, so I think is a good car, a very good car, 00 Civic rocks!

My Ride

runves, 01/22/2004

This car was made to be bought and put ALL the aftermarket stuff you can on it. That is why it is a "Value Package".

Best car I have ever had!

rayv5, 01/29/2004

I love this car. Have not had any problems in 75000 miles.I still have the same brakes on it. I get better gas milage than the sticker said, 43mpg.

Reliable commuter

gulabjamun, 06/17/2006

I bought this car new in December 1999. This was the best car buying decision ever... still going strong after 6 and 1/2 years and 129200 miles.

awesome car

Kristeye82, 05/12/2004

I bought this car after having a car that broke down all the time. I was pleasantly suprised that I have had absolutely no problems with it, even after a whole year. I have a half hour drive to work everyday and my civic is extremely reliable! I would recommend this car to anyone and everyone.

2000 Honda

Bob, 12/27/2004

I have been using Honda Civics to commute to NYC for 16 years. always get approx. 250,000 trouble free miles doing scheduled maint. replacing brakes and maybe a muffler. Great cars and fuel economy. Workmanship is top shelf but drivers seat position in this model has been a little uncomfortable, seat needs more lumbar support.

Good buy and economic to own

Enid Deak, 07/17/2005

I own a 2000 Honda CivicLX. I was broadsided in my previous ten yr. old Honda, which was still like new, & I got almost $6,000 from my insurance company for the totalled car. The Honda I now own is my third. I like the reliability of the car. When I bought my 2nd Honda it was sold to me by a woman and she said: "Really, other than regular maintenance, all you have to do is make sure you have gas in the tank." I have found that to be true if one follows the maintenance schedule. I consider the Honda Civic I own to be good looking, well designed, well built and economical, in spite of rising gas prices. I do not drive a lot of miles per year. To date my only expense has been a set of new tires

Old Trusty Steed

plastic, 11/22/2005

I am a daily commuter driving 125 miles to and from work. I have over 130K miles on my Civic LX. I get an average of 36-37 mpg (mostly highway). Here's my secret. Mobil 1 5w30, Mobil 1 oil filter. I use only Shell gasoline. If I switch to an off-brand, the mpg goes down to 32-33mpg. This car is the best car I have ever owned. It is smooth, agile, and looks great. Very affordable car. I can' wait to purchase a 2006.

fantastic car for the money

tracy, 06/11/2006

I bought this car new. had it for 6 years now, driven it for 186,000 miles. I've only had to do standard maintenance on it, nothing has gone wrong. I plan to buy another civic when and if this one wears out. Fabulous car... go honda.

great auto

bob, 08/12/2006

my wife bought this car new. it has never been back to the dealership for anything. not even a loose screw. no maintenance at all except change the oil every 3k miles. great gas mileage.

Great, great car

SCSarah78, 01/07/2007

I bought this car about two years ago with 60K miles on it. It now has 120K+ and still runs great. Had to have something to do with the emissions control fixed, but it was actually still under warranty for that and no charge. Had to replace the battery, and then the oxygen sensor (about $200 at dealership). Also, driver's side window sticks in the rain, needs help coming back up. Other than that, still a great car. Reliable, practical, yet fun & attractive too. Great resale value too when I'm ready for my next one.

Honda Civic Si

AL, 09/21/2007

I must say I am very satisfied with the car. The performance is good the gas mileage is good. Reliability is very good. It is fairly comfortable for the class. I recommend this car.

Loved this car

jubilee, 10/09/2007

Got this car brand new on 07/2007 with 8 mi on it and it drove strong for another 160000 miles until it got stolen and dumped in a river (broke my heart). I loved this car. It was the cheapest car on the lot, but it treated me well. Changed the oil every 4 to 5000 miles. Paint still looked new. Here are the things that went wrong: cracked exhaust manifold after 2 yrs, A/C compressor went out after 6 yrs, driver's side window went off track after 7 yrs. Otherwise, absolutely no other problems. Very reliable, and I'm going to stick with Honda. This car has a lot of character. Other imports always wanted to race my stock Civic, and I can't tell you how many times people asked to buy my car.

2000 Civic

SharkSoup, 01/15/2003

Has been good vehicle, fairly reliable. Major complaint is lack of power. 1993 Escort we owned before this had more power pulling up a hill; typically with the Civic, have to downshift.

51050