List Price
$15,900

Used Sierra 1500 for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Rust bucket

John, 11/09/2015
4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

bought brand new in 2004. at 45,000 miles the gauge cluster went, @ 88,000 miles the catalytic converter went, @ 7 years old the cab corners and rocker panels started to bubble despite always washing and hand waxing, along with car washes. At 110k I was using coolant and heard my lifters ticking. With no warranty I pulled the valve covers only to find anti-freeze and my cylinder heads covered in muck!!! The warped cylinder heads that caused the disaster were on millions of gm vehicles between 2002 and 2006. Cadillac's, yukons, sierras, etc, A local mechanic with gm explained that they knew about the problem but continued to use the heads because they had purchased millions of dollars worth of them and knew the buyers would get 100k miles out of them. He explained a recall would have cost millions of dollars so they decided it was pretty much just cheaper to screw the buyer. 3k in parts and labor and the car was down for a week. Needed all new lifters and heads planed. @ 120k rust is through the cab corners and rocker panels. Won't pass inspection in NH, Large holes. Now at 146k It's using coolant again. I tasted the water dripping from the exhaust pipe. Sure enough, anti-freeze. Time to go. Bad luck with 3rd gmc in a row. I'm a bow tie guy with chevelles and other muscle but a ford 250 super duty is looking pretty good. Gas of course where as nothing beats a Dmax.

2004 GMC Sierra 4.8 V8

Roger, 09/24/2010
2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle used. It now has nearly 155,000 miles on it needing a little TLC and routine maintenance. It has needed little things like tune up, brakes, fluids changed, shocks and tires. This truck has exceeded all of my expectations for a higher mileage vehicle. It does not leak fluids or use and oil. I plan to put another 50K on it before even considering purchasing another truck. I have two friend that also own 2004 GMC Sierra 1500 with over 200+K miles on each. They both run very well needing only routine maintenance.

great trucks

tyloterbauer, 06/03/2015
4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this truck used at 126k miles drove for a month started loosing coolant took it into my dealership they found out it was the water pump not the heads replaced for free I've had to do shocks ball joints tire rod ends maf sensor left bank exhaust manifold gasket evap control module u joint and axle shaft seals because I'm super picky but understand that I did not buy a brand new truck I bought used this truck pulls like a dream rides great just wish it didn't govern at 98 and had better stopping power I drove an 08 and decided I still liked the 04 better plenty of power and mpg isn't bad 04 sierra sle 5.3 extended cab 4x4 z71 is a keeper for sure out Mudd's my buddies fords and dodges

GMC Denali Quadrasteer

Spurz, 10/09/2006
4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

The GMC Denali provides a level of comfort and sophistication never available in a pick up truck. It offers the upscale appointments with comfortable, adjustable leather seats,the most advance drive train of any truck on the road, the convenience and security of OnStar, and the performance of GM's 6 litre engine. The manuverability is fantastic and a must if you are towing a boat or toy hauler or trying to fit in a tight parking spot. Excellent performance, refinement, and capability with the loan drawback being the poor gas mileage, which is to be expected.

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 4X4 Std cab SB 5.3

p145897, 12/16/2013
2dr Regular Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Just turned 100k. Even though this truck has been meticulously maintained and never abused, it has had the transmission replaced (at 67K), sound system (at 25K), intermediate steering shaft (3 times), HVAC controls (at 75K), front rotors (2 times), instrument panel (at 70K), steering wheel control modules replaced (80K), Evaporative Emission Canister Vent Valve (at 124K), upholstery (at 124K), etc. There is so much slop in the drive train that I would never consider using as a tow vehicle. Good for going to the dump and grocery shopping. Limited slip (rear) is demonstrating signs of impending failure, just a matter of time.

OK so Far

mgandrew, 08/07/2009
4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought used 117,000. Used a little oil and coolant would need irregular replenishing, odd. Every now and then a sticky lifter, then when I added Lucas to the oil all H--l broke loose, literally. Next oil change there was so much sludge in the sump the oil would not drained. Long story short, the sludge clogged the oil pump suction and w/o oil pressure things were not going to get any better. Found a used motor (100,000) miles, swapped out. Better engine, more power, no oil consumption, coolant OK. I'll probably drive this truck for another couple of years. I like it. I think the sludge was related to the coolant loss. As it was infiltrating the crank case and slowly evaporating out?

best truck i ever bought!

giants97, 09/23/2015
2dr Regular Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

bought the truck at 120k miles 4 years ago. today i have 205k on it as my daily driver to work and back (80mile round trip highway) and to the day all ive had to replace was an alternator. towed a boat for 3 years weighing aprox. 3800lbs with easy and stability. this truck is absolutely bullet proof and i would buy it again in a heart beat. note: i also just bought a 2015 sierra all terrain edition last December and to be honest i like driving my 2004 sierra better! absolutely great all around truck!!!

Cracked Cylinder Heads

formergmcguy, 02/02/2013
4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

At about 53,900 miles, my 2004 5.3L developed a ticking noise. Turned out to be cracked cylinder heads. $3800 repair bill. I had it repaired and traded it for a brand new Tundra with 5.7L engine. No regrets.

gmc

tom gt, 10/16/2003
2dr Regular Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

excellent quality smooth ride should have got the 5.3 engine for more low end the 4.8 likes to rev and power comes on strong getting 20 plus miles per gallon with auto and 3.42 gears

2004 Sierra Denali

mabco, 04/03/2004
4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is extremely inpressive. After 15 years of driving a BMW I wanted something totally different and fun to drive - the Denali is all I hoped it would be in a full-size truck. People notice it and it turns heads. The QuadraSteer is an absolute must and is everything you hoped it would be - simply amazing. With dealer incentives and some negotiation, the Denali can be had for around $34,600 - this makes it an incredible value. If you're in the market for a top-of-the-line full size truck, the Sierra Denali should be at the top of your list. A great truck.

My last GM vehicle

Wayne G, 07/23/2019
4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I loved the the looks, but ultimately bought because of incentives. Should have paid two grand more and got Tundra. Water pump went out at 39k, steering shaft at 40k, antilock brake modulator at 42k, transmission at 80k (never towed), instrument panel at 88k. That’s about $4k of repairs that should never happened below 100k. I loved driving it and best seats of any vehicle I’ve owned. Averaged 14.2 mpg. However it was a money pit.

High miler, still purring!

camelot4, 08/23/2012
4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck 3 years ago with 120000 miles on it and it just purrs. Smooth, quiet, comfortable and even with all those miles it still doesn't burn or leak any oil. I haul a 260 gallon water tank in the back and it doesn't even phase the old girl. Just a great truck!

GREAT TRUCK

ikeguy29, 09/11/2009
4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drove this truck across the country, no problems and i had a trailer in pull. Maine to Washington. Very comfy and with a few add ons, the gas mileage for me is low 20's high way. 5.3L. Good truck, Recommend.

best yet

underpressureinc, 03/03/2010
2dr Regular Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck brand new, actually bought a toyota first but found the mileage and power to lacking for the needs I had. this truck filled the bill alright, she has towed a trailer almost everyday and has been used as a working route truck.I have had not one problem with this truck even the tires have lasted longer than expected for stock run of the mill general tires. I love this truck but its time to move on to a new work truck I think I will do it all over with another short box gmc 1500 ! what a great investment this was for our co.

Cracked cylinder heads

Stan, 05/12/2010
4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This will be my last GMC vehicle. 2004 GMC Sierra with 60,000 miles developed 2 cracked cylinder heads and also need lifters replaced. $3600 repair bill. Called GMC to complain but they didn't care.

Cracked cylinder heads

shane l, 10/09/2010
4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I love the truck it is very comfortable, and has been trouble free for 5 years, till I noticed the coolant level dropping, I figured out it had cracked cylinder heads. Took it to Boulevard GMC in Signal Hill and they charged me $170.00 for something I already knew and lied and said they took the valve covers off to inspect, when it shows no one has taken the valve cover off, (BEWARE OF THIS DEALERSHIP) GM wont help pretty much had to fix my self. I put in Bars head gasket fix and the leak in the heads went away, been 3,000 miles all I have to do is change my lifters and push-rods and should be good to go. Don't think I am going to be buying GM anymore.

gmc

noisyhonda, 03/03/2011
4dr Crew Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

great truck good at hauling. very spacious and comtorble. gas mileage is good for a truck. had this truck from new to 180000 miles now original motor still runs very smooth as does tranny, and everything else. the only repairs i had to do so far on this truck was o2 sensors about 40bucks each a crank angle sensor about 50dollar and a output shaft seal on the transfer case, i did the work myself. other then that routine maintance and she'll run strong for a long time. i would diffently buy another in the future if needed.

Life

erynlynne, 06/18/2011
2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is a life saver for me, got into a car accident was going 85 and hit a telephone. I truly believed it saved my life, i just bought another one same year. Truck has a amazing build! i would tell anyone about this truck and how amazing it is.! i absolutely LOVE it.

Great Rig!

Brian Laine, 10/22/2003
4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is a very well designed vehicle. It combines a very comfortable, luxurious driving environment with the ability to tow heavy trailers. Since a lot of stuff is included in the standard package, I got more accessories than I might have bought if they were priced separately. I really like Quadrasteer.

GMC Denali

RES281, 04/06/2004
4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This is an awesome vehicle, I will never by a FORD again. This is the best truck I have ever owned and plan on getting another soon.

Better than I expected

H. Gleeksman, 12/18/2005
4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

It has turned out to be a better vehicle than I expected. Very decent ride quality. Plenty of get up and go consiering it has the small V-8 engine. My biggest complaint is the lousy turning radius- takes much too much space to get in and out of parking spaces or to make a U turn. Nice fit and finish. It is holding up very well. Am not generally a GM fan, but this is a very nice vehicle.

Best tucks on the road

Tripp Alexander, 09/25/2003
4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second one, and both trucks have been great. They will outrun all of the other 2003 factory trucks except for the Ford Lightning and Dakota R/T.

Love my GMC

Mac, 06/24/2008
4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Sierra new, now have 49000 miles. Have had a couple problems but the dealer took prompt, and courtious care of my truck. Fun to drive, looks great gas mileage isn't bad either. I keep the oil changed, and just installed a K&N air filter and will see if my MPG improves. Overall I would buy another one.

Best vehicle I've ever owned!

John Z, 02/26/2009
4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Absolutely, without a doubt the best truck I will ever own! 168,000 highway miles. Just replaced the original brakes at 167,000. Regular maintenance, oil changes, fluids, etc every 3 to 5K. No bells and whistles, this is a work truck, a darned good one! I get about 19-20 mpg on highway, I'll take it and not look back. Forget interior/exterior design...who cares? I wanted dependability. I got it. A great truck!

amazing truck!!!

cdr1991, 02/06/2010
2dr Regular Cab Work Truck 4WD LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

My dad had originally bout this truck, it was the first 04 in Alaska at the time. He used it to comute 60 miles away for about 3 years, then I used it to drive to school about 30 miles away. Not once has this truck not started, even at -40 it started right up. Not once has it ever had any Major problem. Only mat. That has been done is oi change and brake pads. It is the best truck that my dad or I have ever owned. I am currently at 163,200 miles! Still defect free. My brother as well bought one of the same year since he liked mine so much, and he has the same thoughs about it. It is a amazing truck

Great

Joseph skii, 08/21/2003
4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Love it. Has most everything I want. Enjoy to drive with power I need.

1978 Revisited

Clayton, 01/11/2005
4dr Extended Cab Work Truck Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I like my truck. It is a "Plain Jane" truck-no options. Performance is better than expected, though the mileage in town is poor-about 15 mpg. Good ride and no complaints, though I have only 2500 miles on it. For being a base truck, it suits my needs and makes me wish reviewers would talk about the basic trucks as well as the duded-up ones. The reset on the oil change system is neat. I like the magnatized drain plug too. Very easy oil change. A great ride. Much better than my 1993 ford F-150. Very similar to my old 1978 Silverado but with a much better turning radius. The 6 cylinder has plenty of power for what I need.

This is one great truck

dmalkire, 10/11/2003
4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I spent the past year looking at trucks before deciding on the GMC Sierra. I haven't had it one full day yet, but I can tell you that the wait was well worth it. The truck is comfortable, the ride is solid and quiet. GMC has even managed to eliminate one of the more serious 'knocks' in their 2004 model - the rattling sound that Sierra was infamous for. I have not heard it like I have in previous models I have test driven.

Quality for years to come!

Haus, 10/22/2003
4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had the truck for three weeks and put 1000 miles on it. I was pleased with the dealer, the deal and the truck! Receiving $3000 discount off list, from the GMC factory list gave me alot of extra electronics (Bose speakers,Onstar phone, and the cool XM radio)that I probably would not have bought. GMC gave $2500 incentive discount, and the dealer gave his discount. Don't miss out on these extra incentives. This truck handles like no other truck I have driven. My 1994 Chevy was nice, but the new handling, performance, comfort, creature features are the best. Sierra, to me, is the nicest styling that I have found in a 2004 truck. Get one!

Best truck I have had

Sarah11renee, 10/25/2003
2dr Regular Cab SLE Rwd LB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is my very first truck and I am very satisfied. It is also very quick. The sport red does look pinkish in the sun so it is definalty a female truck.

Whatta Truck!

krakrjak, 10/26/2003
4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Excellent truck. MUCH more than I expected. Good value, excellent craftsmanship. Fit and finish is up there with fine import automobiles costing $75,000+.

GMC DENALI

BARRY FRANKLIN, 11/12/2003
4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

THE GREASTEST TRUCK I EVER OWNED....

Love my Denali!

Jeff C., 08/16/2005
4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Power, performance, and FUN to drive! Quadrasteer whips a better U-turn than a Volkswagen! It takes about a lane and a half to cut a tight u-turn. The 6 Liter engine has lots of power, but GUZZLES the gas! (The power is well worth the gas guzzling when you need it.) I change the oil and put in gas. I have had it 1 year TODAY and have 35,900 on it allready! GMPP Warranty was $4K extra! Very pleased with the truck & reliability, but the dealers who fix it work too fast and I have to point out the shoddy repairs. Biggest problem, the factory tonneau cover leaks water into the bed, and is constantly breaking. I have had it replaced TWICE (under warranty) Both times it was re-installed wrong.

Edmund's Truck Review is Wrong!

Joel Hendelman, 12/27/2003
4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have always been an avid Ford F-150 kind of guy. But I have to say after driving both GMC 1500 Sierra and the F- 150, I have switched. Most comfortable ride I have ever had in a 4WD vehicle. I also own a 1990 Suburban 4WD with over 150K miles and it still runs strong. Much more room on the interior of the GMC than Ford could muster. Interior design and presentation is great and the sound system with Bose speakers to support it is fantastic. It may be sometime before I venture back to Ford to get my next truck. I tend to hold on to mine for quite awhile.

GMC SIERRA EXTENDED CAB

STEVER, 12/27/2003
4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I HAVE ONLY OWNED THIS TRUCK FOR TWO MONTHS NOW, BUT EVERY DAY I LOOK FORWARD TO GETTING IN IT AND DRIVING IT. I CONSIDER MYSELF A PICKY PERSON AND TO DATE I CAN FIND NO FAULTS WITH MY GMC SIERRA. I RECOMMEND THIS TRUCK TO ALL FUTURE TRUCK BUYERS!

it's a good un

jdl, 08/30/2005
4dr Crew Cab SLE 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Rides like a luxury car with power and handling of a sports car. 18-19 on the highway at 70-75 -- great improvement over my '01 extended cab. For the money,it is best on the market and looks better than the sister Chevy. Pulls 22'boat with ease. Hunted all last season over rough terrain -- still no rattles. Get one.

Impressive ride and handling

pstueven, 12/31/2003
4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased the Sierra Denali two months ago, and am impressed with the power, comfort, and conveniences this truck offers. What has amazed, and completely sold me is the quadrasteer. Living in a large town, I frequently must make sharp turns in confined areas, which this truck handles with ease. I watched a Ford F150 make two attempts to pull out of the bank drive through, and I had no problem whatsoever. It may be a little more expensive than an SLT, but the Sierra Denali is more than worth it. Fantastic ride, amazing power, great looks, and better towing capacity than the standard 1/2 ton.

Excellent Buy

vbase, 01/06/2004
4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

You can't beat this truck for the price lot's of power locking Differential. All wheel disk brakes on other trucks this is a option but on GMC it is a standard option. I just couldn't be happier the 5.3 has plenty of power I'm sure it will keep up any of the other trucks with the same size engine.

2004 GMC Sierra Z71

zackm58941, 01/07/2004

sweat truck, very pleased

Great Truck

gabbro, 01/08/2004
4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is a great truck. No problems or issues during the first month. Gas mileage on highway averages 18-19 mpg at 60-65. Interior and XM radio are awesome. Ford looks interior looks weak in comparison.

heck of a truck

2eagles, 01/24/2004
4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

A great truck. I had a 1992 Sierra and loved it. I bought this truck and a week later took it on a 2000 mile elk hunting trip to Colorado. It was a long drive made enjoyable thanks to GMC. The snow in the mountains was no problem and the truck was perfect. This truck rides better and is quieter than my wifes 2002 Bonneville SLE.

Pleasant Surprise

Massive Mike, 01/28/2004
4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

e have only had this vehicle for one week, but I love it. We opted for the GMC over the Chevy Silverado based on appearance. The GMC looks like a truck. It is incredibly fast (5.3 litre V-8) for a 4 wheel drive truck. It is comfortable and the ride and handling are very nice. This truck is fun to drive. So far so good. We love it!

Sierre Style, Ride and Quality No.1

temple62, 01/31/2004
2dr Regular Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

It is no wonder the Sierre is the only truck lists the Kiplinger List top 10. Coming from the Toyota 4Runner and Ford F150 crowds, this beats them both for quality, handling, comfort and style. The 2004 Dodge Ram is a vible competitor but too pricey when you do the comparisons of bang for your bucks.

Update

schodack bassman, 01/03/2006
4dr Extended Cab SLT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Overall this has been a good vehicle. Nice looking truck with a nice ride. Xm radio a must and the 6 CD Bose music system is great. Only complaint is about drive train noise. Seems the locking differential kicks in often with a clank. Dealer says normal. Had minor problem with front end the dealer took care of quickly and without complaint. Over all good value. Will buy another some day.

Good ride

Dave, 02/02/2006
4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has been very good to me. It has performed flawlessly and the gas mileage hasn't changed either up or down by more than 1 mpg. I thouroughly enjoy driving this truck. My truck has the Z71 package and it has a solid feel to it.

truck rating

dreamhour56, 02/18/2004
4dr Extended Cab SLE Rwd LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

this is the first truck i have bought, i wish i had done this long ago. i have the smooth ride sus. it rides like a big car, handling is great, more than enough power. i have the short bed.

GMC fan

poppy, 02/04/2004
4dr Extended Cab SLE 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Best in cless, best motor I have ever hade in a truck.It is my 2nd truck and the 1st thuck I got 300,000 mi out of it.

We love it

Loretta Bradley, 02/21/2004
4dr Extended Cab SLT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

My husband & I have really enjoyed this GMC pick up. I like the extended cab & the extra doors for convenience of accessing the back seat. The dual heat/air control is especially convenient for my husband & I. I love the way the truck handles on the road, the smooth ride & the comfort of the front bucket seats (although I wish the passenger side reclined more for snoozes on long trips. We are SPOILED for regular am/fm radio now that we have XM Radio in the truck! Just generally LOVE this truck (have had it for about 5 or 6 weeks now & already took it on a 1000 miles round trip).

excellent

dan'l, 02/26/2004
4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

this is the best truck i have ever owned. period. loaded, leather etc. and as comfortable to drive as any car ( including cadillac and mercedes ) that i have owned and driven. 4wd takes me anywhere and under any conditions. you can't beat this one.

I love this truck!

horsemom, 02/29/2004
4dr Extended Cab Denali AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I tow a horse trailer. When I drove this truck, I thought it would help with towing. What a great surprise that I could drive it downtown, park it in a ramp, and actually not worry about the back end sliding in the snow. It's heaven after my F150, much more like a Cadillac than a truck. I love this truck!

51050