Used 1993 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews - 53 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Ford Probe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Probe model:

If you know what you are doing.
By Scott

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

The Probes are getting old and there are less of them out there every year, so finding OE parts can be tricky. However, RockAuto.com is your friend on this car. Interior could be a bit better fit and finish wise, but overall a very nice basic sporty interior. With a few modifications done properly, it can be absolute joy to drive, mine has strut bars, Eibach springs and will soon have the JDM engine with the 200+ it should have from Flat Rock. Also, it IS a reliable car. You just have to know what you are doing when working on them or else it will not run right. Mine has given me no problems in the 3.5 years I have owned mine once all the issues that come with a car that was stored for 10 years comes with. I replaced brakes, tires, timing belt and water pump. It has given me no issues and the cargo space is quite nice even with a sub box in the trunk. Even to this day it is still one of the most beautiful cars ever built and the design is one of those timeless looks right from the factory. The GT is the model I am reviewing and it is not an economy car, even with a small V6, it gets 19 city and about 24 highway. It takes premium gas. I am fortunate to not use it as a daily driver and as a relatively low mileage example for the year. If you find a nice, well maintained example with a manual transmission, pick it up, treat it right, and save it for a weekend car, you will love it...

A Lemon Incapable of Making Lemonade
By raouly

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

In 1996, my brother and I was lucky enough to get a 1993 Ford Probe from my cousin with under 75,000 miles. It had a great look, was fun to drive, but was a constant maintenance disaster. Every 6 months, I, a young kid, had to put $500 in repairs into that disaster just to keep it running. It's the only automatic that I've ever had that would stall. The interior door panel constantly fell off due to the doors sagging. A CV joint broke at about 90,000 miles. In hindsite, as cool as that car looked, we should never have bought it.

It was old but good!
By GWilson

1993 Ford Probe GT 2dr Hatchback

I only had it 6 months before the radiator caved. I decided just to get a new car rather than fix it as it isnt worth how much the fix would cost. It was much faster than I expected and much more comfortable as well. Gas mileage was on par with the rating (19 mpg mixed) but it excelled on the Highway at 28-29 mpg. Nothing weird broke on it so it was reliable and always started. Had to adjust the idle once but not a biggie. Also the drivers door panel fell to pieces after a couple months. And Premium fuel was annoying!

Engine, engine note, sunroof

Bring it back, EcoBoost and AWD!!! But the headlights on this one left much to be desired.

Love my probe
By Probestah

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

I have a 93 SE and I love it. It didnt wanna go uphill on take off but if you get a new upgraded exaust or some type of small Horse Power adjustment it doesnt take away from the fuel economy and also gives you that little boost. Sound system stinks in this model. Change to a cd player and change to pioneer deck speakers. Also mine came with a stock subwoofer in the back built into the right panel. If you take that out and take the wires from the back of it then buy a subwoofer it will BUMP!!! I have 3 JL audio tens in there now and it rattles my trunk! I have tried many things and it seems to be just fine pushing at 2 and 4ohms. if its shutting off while bumpin try to hook it up other ways.

Built in stock 25watt rms w/crossover... when you add a cd player all new speakers and a subwoofer to this car it sounds AWESOME!

I've had to replace my exaust, radiator, transmition(jerked between 1-2 gear manufacture defect, eventualy went out), blah blah blah.. this car is worth fixing. rotational tires will help with the performance and less chirping from the tires.

small but good car
By lp09

1993 Ford Probe 2dr Hatchback

fun car......sold it after egr valve went to hell, and plug wires were shot. axle went bad...but that was prolly my fault....i couldnt complain i bought it for $450 in perfect condition no lie.... i got a deal....ran great for about 2 months, then one day it just wouldnt go....cleaned out egr valve and changed plugg wires and sold it.

handling, interior,

electric windows go out easy, radio wires do not match up to any wire diagram found.