Used 2004 Dodge Neon Consumer Reviews

Used Neon for Sale
Select your model:
12345...7

Pros
Cons

Been Amazing for the 8 years I have had this car.

Amanda, 03/17/2016
SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used back in 2008, with about 33k miles on it. Now it is 2016 and only at 119k. Was mostly for college and getting to all my jobs during that time. Now I am out of college, with a good paying job, and I could buy a new or used car that is up to date and shiny, but the Neon is still going. I have never had to repair a single thing motor/engine wise except for the timing belt (obvious maintenance) which I made sure to do around 90k or a little earlier (not sure exactly when). My car has even been hit by drunk drivers and many idiots and yet still holds strong after body repair. The only issues I have had was the sunroof and leaking. It went off the track and broke. Instead of getting it fixed, I just had a body shop place the roof back in and remove the fuse that allowed it to open and close. It leaks around the sunroof, and weirdly around the passenger side area where the feet go. I think its just blocked up and moves into the floor. Besides its lack of physical beauty at this age in the game, it has done me very well and I will drive this car until the wheels fall off. :}

Great Car !!!

debby_robinson, 12/30/2011

I purchased my 2004 Dodge Neon new and now have over 210,000 miles. The only maintenance other than routine, has been the replacement of ball joints and the sway bar link and bushings. If they still made this car I would buy it all over again.

Great! but do not buy it, please read.

diego_cid, 04/06/2011

the car was great, until 100K miles. It first started as slightly rough idle, and then it got worse. I had it check and it was determined that a valve was leaking and therefore it would misfire. It failed the wet compression test and the computer code backed the mechanic's claim. Miss fire cylinder # 2. The repairs would cost me 1.5K on a 3K car, it was not worth it so I traded the car still owning like 2K, I got 800 for it in the trade it since it was broken, the check engine light would flash during idle so there was no hiding it. The car was fun to drive and very very practical, gas mileage was about 28 hwy and 23 city. It could be a lot better for an engine that small.

Honest Opinion

Vinh, 11/30/2015
SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Overall this car has served me well. I bought it brand new back in highschool ,in 2004 for 11k that's including taxes. When I first got it the O2 sensor needed to be replace which isn't a good sign around 20k. Luckily it was still under warranty. Since then there has been no major issues until now but right now at 220k its expected. At the moment, the reverse cable probably has to be replaced or at least one of the pins or bushing. The drive shaft also needs to be replaced which is normal for the a vehicle with the amount of mileage this car has. Both issues occurred around 219-220k. I had to replace the CAM sensor at 110k and oil switch at 185k. Changed the battery twice .Other than that no major issues. I have drove this car from -CA-TX-MT and CA-FL with no problems. I hit a deer at 40mph with only hood, fender, bumper damage, but nothing was damaged under the hood. The car gets good MPG on the highway but not too good mpg for its class in the city. I usually get between 35-44 on the highway and 25-29 in the city. Since its high mileage the values have been 25/35 unless I go on a long distance trip. The interior looks good the only thing a bit worn out is the arm rest and front driver seat.Acceleration and handling is also good and I do like the tow capacity this vehicle has. Overall I got my moneys worth but at this point its time to move on.

I love this car!

spooledup, 03/19/2015
SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I can't get enough of this car. I've owned it for a little over 6 years and now have over 170,000 miles. It still runs smooth as it did with 65,000 miles and I've never had an issue with the car other than regular maintenance. I've changed the timing belt, water pump, clutch/fork, spark plugs, oil, and cam shaft sensor twice, battery and tires. That's it! All those things would need to be changed on any car so I would say this car is extremely reliable. It's never once left me stranded, and I don't drive like a grandma either. Speaking of which, the performance of this car is amazing. My car is still stock and I've beat everything from ls1 camaros, to evo's and sti's.

Good little car

kevin, 09/15/2010

Just turned 76,000 miles and have had to do nothing other than change the oil. Car has had an occasional engine knock for a few seconds right after start up almost from the beginning. Was pretty concerned about that at first, but apparently some Neons just do that. Started using synthetic oil and it has pretty much stopped. I have had minor brake squealing issues like a lot of other people have reported here but it usually only lasts a minute or two when first taking off. AND I've still got over a quarter inch of pad on THE ORIGINAL brake pads! I'm hoping to make it to 100,000 miles on the original pads. Anyway, the car has been great. Reliable, fun to drive, great gas mileage. Buy one.

Lasts forever

5speedmanual3, 06/26/2015
SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Totaled my first 03 Sxt with 240,000 miles on it but I bet she could have gone way longer. Then bought an 04 R/T with 100,000 on it for a great price it now has 136000 and I love it, I don't babg this thing either its seen many track days and the shifts are still great love the car And I get about 30 mog city and almost 40 highway

Best Car I Ever Owned!!!

Mr L, 07/18/2016
SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the '04 SE base new as a "leftover" in 2005 for $11,200. Although i had good credit the dealer told me it wasn't good enough (720) and charged me 2 extra points at the very end of the deal. I had already sold my old car so i needed it. After i figured how much money they screwed me for i vowed never to visit the dealer again. Guess what? I didn't have to! Now it is July 2016 and the Neon has 209K miles on it and has only broken down once. The nylon clip that holds the shifter to the cable under the boot fell off or broke. The repair was $125 total including $65 for towing. I have kept up with all the maintenance (timing belts, fluid changes, strut changes,etc.) and i would take the car on a 5,000 mile round trip tomorrow if i needed to. I am 6 foot 4 tall and age 56. The car is comfortable to drive and sit in for long drives. I love the manual transmission as i consider myself a spirited driver and 2nd and 3rd gear pull really good although i don't have a tachometer. Although i live in the south i have driven in deep snow in NH and good quality tires help. The only recommendation i can make is to change the coolant every 2 years vs. 5. I think i replaced an o2 sensor and a knock sensor in 2012. The a/c works great although summer mpg's are about 25 and winter is 30 or 32. Book value now is about $1000 but i couldn't buy one this well maintained for the price. I will say if mine gets totaled for any reason i would probably buy another one. New car prices are ridiculous and i don't ever want to finance a car again. I will keep it until the wheels fall off. Even if the motor blows i might just buy another motor. I still see a few 1st generation Neon's driving around; how many miles are on them?

Ebay Buy

mopar5711, 01/11/2012

I bought my Neon from the original owner thru Ebay in 2005 paid $8400.00 - drove it from Phoenix AZ to Dallas , Tx. it had 18K original miles. As of today 01/10/2012 it has 74K - repairs consist of new wheel cylinders and brakes front and rear and a crank sensor. I put a K&N air filter in it and have had the transmission and coolant serviced on the factory schedule. I use Pirelli tires and I always run middle grade gas. Most of the miles are hiway @ 34-36 mpg. It handles like a small Porsche and has plenty of zip. My only complaint is the seating - not terribly comfortable. It has been a truly wonderful car and an excellent investment.

Hate to say it.

Carlos, 05/30/2006

I have seen nothing but good reviews and thats why I bought this car. I have put 7k on it. Turbo leaks are infamous. The tranny is a headache also. Many many people report tranny issues and I'm one of them. This car is a blast to drive but I feel like its going to fall apart anyday now. It has a stubborn transmission and shifts like crap especially in the cold. Maybe I got unlucky.

It just so happens..

JeepBoy, 09/30/2004

When a sports car enthusiast spends $40K on any performance car, then additional $10K on tuning, functionality and looks, he does not want to be overtaken while accelerating on a highway onramp. But this is exactly what happens when that "sports car" is lined up with this SRT-4. I will put this car against any $40K+ ride any day, and rest easy knowing that I paid more than 50% less for showing him what my rear looks like. Why? SRT-4 told me to do it. No really - car wants to be driven fast fast fast. I Tried to explain that to the authorities too.

I had a wreck in Neon

Joshua Vaughn, 11/14/2010

I was rear ended on the highway by a truck that was doing around 55 mph and I came out without a scratch the car body performed wonderful, it totaled the car but I was unhurt I was very impressed.

Still a fast car.

JoeBlo, 10/30/2019
SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Lower control arms last about 30,000 miles. Clutch fork and pivot ball last about 60,000. Calipers and wheel bearings went around 80,000. Clear coat starts peeling about 7 years after production if vehicle parked mostly outside. Other than that ZERO problems! Currently replacing struts, rubbers, bushings etc at the 15 year mark.

Has served me well for 67k miles

powerllama, 10/16/2013

I bought this car new in 2004. I've driven it ever since. I don't put as much mileage on cars as do other people, but 9 years and 67k miles can do a lot. The car is incredibly roomy on the inside, and easily fits four. Though it's not great for road-trips, as it doesn't have cruise control. But boy is it quick. It doesn't handle corners well, and has a giant turning radius, but in a straight line it's hard to beat for the price. Other than that, it's just a normal car. Nothing too special about it.

Great First Car

jc960551, 09/30/2010

I brought the Dodge Neon with about 45,000 miles on it. i had a few small problems with it in the beginning, but because it was under warranty it got fixed for free. I recently got in a car accident and ended my rolling my car into a ditch. This car's strong auto frame helped save my life. I walked away completely unhurt. When i crashed my car i had over 110,000 miles with no present problems.

Power monster

Malachoz, 08/27/2003

Car is a power horse, flies like it had wings or should

Wish it was a two door but...

wreckless, 08/21/2003

This car is more fun than a barrel of monkey's. The only problem is all the kods want to race you. The car's handling is above average bur sprung softer than my previous ACR Neons. The quality of construction is much, much improved. Fit and finish is excellent. Huge spoiler takes some getting used to as it blocks rear view. The major plus is that wonderful engine. Wow! Oh, the seats are tight so if you are larger than you should in girth save yorself the trouble and order the R/T seats with the side airbags.

What's up with those damned brakes????

Andy Allison, 01/05/2005

I really love my car & the way it drives. It's quick, responsive, & fun. The engine is perfect for this car...it has just enough power for performance without a great fuel cost, all of which leaves me to wonder why Daimler put such a flawed & NOISY brake system on 'em. When I first start her up , regardless of environmental conditions, as soon as I step on the brakes I hear the most awful grinding/squealing sound coming from the wheels. With every subsequent stop the noise is reduced bit until several miles into my journey it stops all together. I have taken it into the dealership just to be told that the brakes are fine & there is nothing that can be done. What's up with that?

Almost 2 yrs later, 2nd review

Sharon S, 04/02/2006

Well, It will be 2 yrs in June 2006 that I have owned this car. I love it still. I have not had any problems mechanically with it what so ever. It runs great.Does very well in snow and rain. Glad I purchased it. Will buy another one in the future.Good job Dodge!

Best Car I Have Driven

Denise, 08/08/2018
SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I went from a 95 avalon with a slipping tranny to this car and I love it! I bought it off the previous owner for 1300 with about 163000 miles. The only issue I have had was replacing the radiator which is known to crack in these cars.It was fairly cheap for me since my boyfriend is a mechanic, about $160. Other than that its just the little things that do not mechanically affect the car, which for 1300 is a steal! Gas wise its great only spending like 25 dollars to fill up every week and a half to 2 weeks. Its very comfortable and a great get around car. I feel comfortable doing my occasional 6 hour roads trips every now and then. It really picks up some speed. Overall its a great car. No car is ever perfect there will always be something wrong with any car. For people mad about the radiator which is a common issue its good to look into a car before you buy and see what recalls and common issues there are.

2004 Dodge Neon SRT 4 ROCKS!

Mike M., 12/31/2018
SRT-4 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought this car new in 2004. It has been the most reliable car I've owned. Cost of repairs and maintenance has been very minimal, as most of the repairs I've been able to do myself. I've changed the oil every 3 to 4 thousand miles, and have hit 253,980 as of Dec of 2018. This car is easy to fix, and parts are readily available from dealers, local shops, and Rockauto. The performance is awesome...0 to 60 in 5.4 seconds, corners well, great gas mileage, and is a great platform to modify to add horsepower and performance. Stock horsepower levels were awesome to begin with...230 HP. Some owners have modified their SRTs to 3 or 4 hundred horsepower. The SRT 4 is a lot of fun to drive. The one thing I could say is the engine noise level is a little high, as their is no muffler, just resonators. Shifting is ok, although you will need a new clutch about every 50 to 70K miles, even if you take it easy the whole time. If you buy a used one, be careful...many have been owned by young drivers who have ruined them by lack of maintenance and racing.

Neon not safe

drummer69, 04/27/2013

I keep hearing about the Dodeg Neon that it's a fun, safe little car. Well, I'm here to tell you that's it's not. Anyone who thinks that this car is safe, needs to listen to me. My girlfriend was driving a Neon when she was T boned hit broadside on the passanger side when she was driving, and she was killed instantly. The car crumbled up like a tin car. The biggest piece of crap that was ever made. The unsafest car ever made, period!

FAST

dodgeman, 08/16/2009

Bought this car site unseen on the recommendation of Mopar God Rick Ehrenberg. Huge leap of faith that paid off BIG TIME. Never regretted anything. Except maybe the upgrade to Goodyear Asymmetric tires, because the car is now twice as fast in corners and the fun factor is diminished. Need to drive at extremely dangerous speeds for same thrill. Car will accept full throttle upshifts without problems. Wonderful warranty. Minor turbo problem resulted in complete assembly replacement. Worn syncros, likely due to excessive driver exuberance and fatigue, resulted in warranty rebuild. Total cost of this service? $100! No better warranty possible! CV joints remain in good condition despite abuse.

Great Car for little over 10K

Robert, 08/19/2009

Went from old 91 honda Civic to this. Wasn't sure about the car. But few friends had one so I gave it a try. Now I am still driving it with 145,000 miles on it. All I have had to do was scheduled maintenance and has been great. To me there is nothing wrong with the American Cars. They just got a bad rep and is hard to shake. I wish they still made the Neon would get a new one over the caliber.

'Meh' is the best description

J, 11/29/2016
SXT 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Honestly, I read the posts about how great this car is and I'm surprised. The car has given me issues since I bought it. Being a naive buyer, I got my car off craigslist. I got it at around 92k miles and I feel like everything has broken and need replaced. The oil pans keep leaking. The heater core broke and cost 3k to replace. Engine mounts broke. The list goes on. I owned this car through college and that is as far as it will go. I think it would be better if I didn't buy it off craigslist.

DO NOT BUY

blahblah7, 05/25/2014

It was fun to drive, quick little car. BUT, It fell apart, right around 100, 000 kms everything goes wrong, like the tire rod, cam shaft sensor, o2 sensor and many many more. I had so many problems. I just really want to warn everyone and anyone to not buy this car, it will only be a head ache. save yourself and get a honda

only worth $300 maximum

kristin, 07/11/2015
R/T 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2011. I knew it was old at the time and maybe the dealership played a big role in why I am giving this car such a bad review. All four tires needed replacing after 1 month. A couple months later i had to replace the battery. A short time after that, i had to get the engine flushed. Breaks went out. At random times it would not shift into drive and when it finally did it would jolt forward. Half the time it would not start. The check engine light would come on at random times as well and it would stall out every time i got past 10 mph. I paid it off after all the hell it put me through and then it just shut down and would not start again. I had every intention of driving it for the remainder of my stay in college (which was only 1 year) and then trade it in for a new car. Instead i ended up trading it in (for $300) and getting yet another used car that i really could not afford. This was probably a great car 11 years ago, but i would not recommend it to anyone now days.

Dont do it! Cheap tranny!

yoyoNvegas, 06/19/2010

i got this car with only 50,000 miles on it had tranny serviced car automatic was shifting rough and getting stuck and shifting. had this problem fixed before and it came back after a year! Besides that no other issues car only has 70,000 miles on it

Decent at first

threemopars, 04/23/2011

Decent little car at first but now with 60K miles on it, it's becoming a nightmare. We've had to replace (under extended warranty): Radiator (it blew mixing trans fluid and coolant together), transmission, 2 transmission solenoid packs, lower control arm bushings, radio, motor mount, coil pack, fuel pump, rear wheel cylinders and now something is clunking and popping in the front end....again.

NEON SXT

srt10dodgeviper, 07/22/2008

I'm a car salesman and bought a neon. It's a pretty good car overall. I get between 27-33 mpg depending if I'm driving on the highway or in the city. I'm a neat freak because I was a detail shop manager for years. The neon would be better if the seat fabric was better and could be cleaned easier. The trim moldings fade really easily too. I bought the car for what the dealership paid and it's value is dropping daily. Overall it is a really good dependable car, but the re-sale isn't there. If you're looking for a really basic, reliable car I would say buy a neon. If your a resale buyer I would stay away from it.

THIS CAR IS BAD

kate, 01/16/2010

Lets put it this way... the value depreciation on this car is a joke.... I bought the car a year ago for 10 grand.... now... its worth 4 at the most IF its in excellent condition... which ofcourse its not because these cars fall apart easily. And now i'm stuck paying 215 bucks a month for a car that I hate. I can't get rid of it.... i'd be throwing away 6 grand. My last car was a 1998 honda civic coupe and i hardly had to fix anything on that car. AND it was 6 years older then my neon... But somehow i am constantly throwing down more money just to keep this p.o.s. running. NEVER BUY THIS CAR!!!! I WISH SOMEONE WOULD HAVE TOLD ME THIS A YEAR AGO!!! I OFFICIALLY HATE DODGE!

Has a Weak Link

Discusted, 09/28/2010

My wife's 04 SXT still has under 70,000 miles on it. Recently, the radiator blew. This sent transmission fluid into the engine, and coolant into the transmission. New radiator install, $350. Tranny rebuild $1,800. The transmission shop said, "We see this all the time." Dodge counts on you being a foolish American consumer, wrapped up in keeping up with the Jones'. My 92 Toyota Tercel with 170,000 miles on it is not a chick magnet but when a lady wants to go out for the night, rest assured I can get her there. Shame on you Dodge, I am sure this is only the start of Neon failures.

So far so good!

aaronrdavis, 05/31/2013

Had this baby for little over 2 years and I love it, not sure what most people are complaint about if you keep up with normal maintenance it should be fine in my two years of owning it I've put almost 30,000 miles on it and haven't had a thing go wrong with it except changing the battery. Great car to start with as long as its an 02 or newer neon. I'll agree with the others, I wish they kept making it I would buy another one :)

Low Priced Pocket Rocket

USAF69, 12/21/2003

I bought this car on faith in the reviews I had read about it because Dodge dealers will not let you test drive them (insurance issues?). It lived up to the reviews, and in some cases exceeded them! It's without a doubt the most fun and the fastest car you can have without taking out a 2nd mortgage on your house. I get lots of "looks" from other drivers while in this vehicle and even had one guy call me up on the phone and ask me what kind of car it was! This car is like the P-51 Mustang of WW II...it's FAST out of the box, but can be made even FASTER with a few minor upgrades.

Dodge Neon SRT-4 turbo

Roberto Hernandez, 03/25/2008

I love my Dodge srt-4 2004 I always race in drag racing in Miami, fl and the last time I race it was with a bmw 2004 225i and I smoke him for five cars and I couldn't believe it but is true and I bet money 5,000 for the race. My type of car is Dodge neon srt-4 2004 stage 1 performance I am running with 18 Pound of turbo and I love it who ever are thinking to buy one trust me I'll recommend it so so cool specially when I have my car underground neon light, dvd player system, neon light on my rims, and interior neon light, with chrome engine, I have boost control that cool run with 20 Pound of turbo isn't that cool try it u Will love it.

It's been wonderful

Terry, 07/08/2008

It's been almost four years and, other than gas and oil, the car has cost me a set of tires, spark plugs, and a battery. I couldn't be happier. Zero quality problems. I've got just over 59,000 miles and it still runs like new. Dollar for dollar, this may be the best car sold in the U.S. in 2004.

Could have done better

elysian_7, 07/26/2008

Had mine 4 years, put 75,000 miles on it and bought it brand new. It's a good car. I have really had no problems until recently, but it has yet to leave me stranded. I'm getting strange codes and my transmission is acting berserk. The 6 disk changer was a mistake and I'm very upset with performance. I've lost several cds into the unknown in there and had to replace the thing twice. Other than that its a smooth ride, once i get my current problem fixed (still don't know what it is). Great speakers, cool look, smooth ride, almost no blind spots. Great first car. I won't get another though. Sorry dodge, but i can't take the electrical problems.

Suprise, Surprise, Surpise!!

Carmen, 08/02/2008

I went to the dealer looking for a different car. Well, not so good credit landed me my neon. WOW!!! I am so happy that I got it. I've had it for about 4 years and only took it to the garage once. The mechanic was not too happy to hear it was a Neon, well after he test drove it after the fix, he was in love with MY car!! No complaints, but that for a small car it's not very fuel efficient. Other than that, I recommend this car. LOVE IT!

I'm a Dealer - These things don't break!

Jay Slingerland, 09/11/2008

I am currently on my second SRT-4 after buyer the first one that came into our dealership. The fun factor in this car is huge. I just delivered a 2009 Challenger SRT-8 and the car is fast, comfortable, and a cool muscle car. But this little Neon has the capability to be Auto crossed, Rally Raced, SCCA or NASA licensed, and can be driven as a daily driver with virtually no problems. Especially now considering you can buy a good used one with 20,000 miles for 13-15. I just installed the Stage 2 turbo kit with the Mopar Cold Air intake - Sweet Mother! Like I said, the Challenger's fast - but this little Neon is something! Will definitely keep this car forever.

SXT review

tech2, 12/12/2008

Overall my car was very reliable. The only problem I have had since rebuilding the engine is the power control module in this car which I think is a problem. I was looking for a recall on this but did not find one. Also it could get better gas mileege. I added one of those tornados to the air intake which increased fuel economy by 3 more miles.

Surprisingly reliable

just me, 01/15/2009

My husband bought this car new before we met. Personally, I wouldn't have figured a Dodge to be all that reliable. But he looked pretty hot in his black sporty car. So I married him! (just kidding, mostly) I'm pleased to say this car has been extremely reliable. No major mechanical work - maintenance costs only. The 6 CD changer died after only a couple of years. The hook securing the driver side sun visor broke. We started to get uncomfortable in this car with the arrival of our daughter. Exercise stroller doesn't fit in the trunk. Hard to get baby in and out - have bumped her head countless times. Three adults and a baby is almost excruciating for the adult in the back.

Theft for this car

Gina, 03/23/2009

This car is a good car and is reliable and simple to fix if something is wrong but the theft on this car is terrible! I've had my car for 5yrs and it's been broken into 4times. And it's not the area because I've moved 3 times. Everytime I put in a police report, the police officers always say "you got to get rid of this car because it's # 1 for theft". Thank god they did the upgrade.

Not a bad car for the buck

Michael, 03/27/2009

I bought this car used a little over two years ago this month and I was well pleased with it. I fell for the style and the color of it. Mine is electric blue with a spoiler. A couple of things I don't like are that the car is very harsh over bumps and over exaggerates on any kind of road its on. I've had to change the transmission at 75,000 miles which I was upset about. The interior is ok but I feel like Dodge could of taken it a little further than just cheap hard plastic. I like the seats in the neon as well however I can't stand that everything stains the seats (even water). Back seats sit 4 comfortably even 6,0 guys like me, the fronts seats are cramped. The car overall is a good buy

"Let's run em!!" MOPAR OR NO CAR!!!

imboosted, 06/30/2013

At first i wanted an MS3, they're great cars. Only problem is, they're as plentiful and as common as roaches!! Every1 i know has on and it sucked for me in making my nxt performance decision. I looked at the cobalt ss supercharged, but then i remembered my brother had 1 and i was always told to stay away from civics. so the nxt logical choice was the srt-4. I can't tell you how glad I am to be the owner of this car. IT IS AWESOME!! picked mine up, she was stock. added a few things..(Mpx exhaust,, BIG front mount, greddy turbo timer, AEM intake, and AGP wastegate) and now she's unstoppable. I eat stngs, comaros, Z's, WRXs, GTIs, MS3s for breakfast!! I can even hang with GS vettes. Great car!!

Mistress for an elderly man

tapjuice, 01/05/2008

That's it! This is gonna be buried with me.. No squeaks or rattles Twenty g's, performance options abound, as much road presence as an Enzo, faster than a speeding bullet, corners as if on rails, mileage of a Fit{ told the wife that was the only reason I bought it}. 65,000 miles and no trouble at all. Stage three is impossibly, perfectly tuned. Suspension options add more grip than is needed. Of all the cars I've owned in my short 72 years on this ball of mud, this car is the is the snottiest thing in my price range ever.

below average, not quite a lemon

neon H8R, 02/21/2010

Car bought new in '04. Around 30,000 Km the first problem arose when a computer problem was causing the engine to flutter and die. After this it ate gas for some reason and still does. Around 80,000 Km a cam shaft sensor went which was not covered under warranty. The blind spots are RIDICULOUS, even the rear window is hard to see out of. I do not feel safe making lane changes and approach every intersection and crosswalk with caution. I have almost been in numerous accidents because of them. The only piece of glass you can see out of without having some huge piece of the car blocking your view is the windshield. 6 disc changer in an idiotic place, load up before you leave your driveway.

Budget Wheels in KC

Bill in KC, 02/28/2010

We bought our Neon new off the lot. I wish we would have ordered it out the way we wanted it, but all in all we did OK. We have taken this car on several road trips and found it to be excellent on the highway (except for a bit of road noise). Driving in snow is a bit of a challenge though. The trick is to keep excellent tires on the car! I find the engine weak, but reliable and I am always concerned by the clatter she makes when she starts up. To my surprise, a weak battery caused several sensors to go nuts and report three different codes. Thankfully, an excellent mechanic figured it out, replaced the battery and we are ready for another 70K in this little car!

Unreliable and Untrustworthy

Ivory, 03/24/2010

I have now had this vehicle for approximately 2 years. It is now just over 112,000 miles. Just in the past 4 months, we have had to replace the transmission, both front tie rods and the radiator. The front windshield has a large crack from the drivers side to the passengers side which I refuse to replace at this time. The transmission went with little warning indication that it was 'going'. Vehicle has been serviced on a fairly regular basis and is not abused.

Great first car, but do your research.

wneville, 03/07/2013

I bought a 2004 Dodge Neon SXT in March of 2011 while I was living down in Georgia, and the car had a little over 90,000 miles on it. The gas mileage was great, as it averaged about 28 miles per gallon on the city and about 35 miles on the highway. It served its purpose, as it was not only a commuter car, but I drove it 2000 miles back to Montana comfortably, with no problems. The car never burned oil. My underlying problems, however, was that I had to replace the motor mounts, and the check oil light came on soon after I bought the car. I also had to change the alignment twice. This is all before 100,000 miles. The suspension wasn't great, as it felt it was metal on metal at times.

best first car i could have hoped for

mpickett, 05/09/2010

i bought my neon used from the original owner. i've had it for about 7 months now. this is also my first car that i bought myself. after spending two months looking for the right car, one that was cheap and good quality, i found that i made a great dicision. the guy i bought the car from took great care of it and so it still looks fantastic, and runs very well too. i like only having to spend 25 dollars for a gas fill up too. and the sound system is terrific with sub woofers and an amp in the trunk. plus, it attracts a lot of people's attention with the spoiler and ground effects. overall, i think i made a great choice with a car that im sure will last me a very long time.

12345...7