Used 2004 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews

Used Durango for Sale
Select your model:
12345...28

Pros
Cons

THROWN ROD!

inhawaii, 05/26/2013
Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

2004 Dodge Durango Limited 5.7 Hemi with under 80,000 miles. I am the original owner. Car has been well maintained. Oil changes every 3000 miles. Never had any overheating problems. This vehicle has served me well for the past 9 years until about a month ago. Without warning, while going down the freeway, it made a terrible noise. I knew it was something major. The oil light came on. There was a bunch of smoke. I shut the engine off and pulled off the freeway. I could see oil dripping from the engine. After having to towed, i learned there was a hole in the engine block from a thrown rod. After doing some research on the web, i found 100s if not 1000s of cases just like mine.

One great car :-)

scooi29, 04/13/2013
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I owned my 2004 dodge durango SLT 5.7 Hemi for almost 9 years. I've owned over ten cars in my life and never had a better car than my durango. Only had to replace the battery, and the brakes but that's it. I just hit 100 thousand today and still drives like when I bought it with 8 miles. This car could go for another 100 thousand without a problem!! My sister just got a 2009 ford explorer and that has had more problems than my Durango.

Just bought 14 yr old Durango

Preston, 05/27/2018
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just purchased after looking for several monthes. Found a clean used 04 Durango SLT for a great price. Has 156k miles but ran a Carfax on it and it had the best Service record I had ever seen for a used vehicle. Drives and handles like a new vehicle considering it’s age and miles. Gas mileage is not great but I bought for comfort and it fits that bill perfectly.

Best vehicle I've ever owned

cglietz, 03/04/2013
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I own an SLT 5.7L HEMI V8 4X4. Absolutely LOVE IT!! I bought mine in 2008 with 76,000 miles on it. It looked and ran like brand new. In my 5 years of ownership all I've had to replace is routine stuff. Battery, tires, brakes, serpentine belt, trans pan gasket at 110,000 due to small leak ($75). I have 151,000 miles on it and it runs the same as the day I purchased it. Only complaints: CD player stopped working and rust on rear tailgate by handle. I pull a large boat every summer with it also. I had a severe 50mph accident couple years ago in snow which smashed the entire passenger side. Not a scratch on me and drove the vehicle to repair shop. Extremely safe and reliable vehicle!!!

Ticking Time Bomb

danfrommass, 12/03/2012
Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Stay away crom this vehicle. After 70,000 miles, engines will throw a rod and destroy the engine block. The Hemi 5.7 are notorious for this. You have been warned!!!! Google "hemi engine failure". A new engine + installation will run over $7,000.

Owner of a 2004 Dodge Durango SLT 5.7 Hemi

durango_owner, 08/10/2014
Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am a former Marine that purchased my durango brand new on September 1st 2004, with only 18 miles. It has been a truly excellent ride for nearly 10 years. I have put over 227800 miles on this truck, the only thing The first major repair is when I replaced the EGR valve which was three years ago. Didn't do schedule maintenance on time, may have went an additional 2000 miles before changing the oil, transmission fluid. etc. Now after 10 years I was told that my transmission needed to be replaced, I have read all the complaints others have experienced But I only will purchase American cars except Fords. I won't be buying a Dodge Durango SUV do to the change in body style it's too femin

5.7 Hemi is a lemon Crysler will not recall or rebate replacement

mattalderson, 06/12/2013
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We have a 2004 durango slt 5.7L with a hole in the block. This car was extremly well maintained. The car eats roters, has had never ending electrical problems and spun a main bearing at 160000 mils. It has never missed an oil change, the oil comes out as clean as it was put in. Crysler will not recall this problem or rebait the replacement. After serching for a replacement I have found that this seems to be a very very common problem with the 5.7, 4.7, and the 6.0.. Do not Buy A Dodge Durango or any Mopar Hemi with out asking or resurching this motor. I have lost 8,000.00 dollers on this vehical. I will never buy a Mopar again!

Best Vehicle I've ever owned

daboyds, 04/24/2011
SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I ordered my 2004 Durango while stationed overseas in Germany. It was shipped to me there from the U.S., and we used it for 2 years traveling all over Europe. We then shipped it back to the U.S. and then to Australia where we used it in the middle of the Australian Outback with the extreme heat, red dirt and dust. We've recently moved back to the U.S. again and we still have our Durango and have never had any issues with it at all. Matter of fact, we've only had it in the shop for routine maintenance. This vehicle has been from the cold in Russia/Europe to the heat of the Australian Outback with out any issues at all. We just LOVE it it!!!

Can't afford to keep it on the road!!

Jessica, 10/22/2015
Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle is sleek and the Hemi is awesome but that's as far as the perks go. We have only had this vehicle for 2 years and already had to replace the transmission and head gasket. Now having issue with coolant system. Have already had water pump repaired and the check engine light is on again. Was out of commission and in the shop more than on the road, at least we had the warranty on it. Replaced waterpump, thermostat twice, head gasket, blower motor, transmission all in a years time. Its so pretty sitting in the driveway but not reliable for any type of driving. Will never buy another Dodge and am currently in the market for a different make of SUV.

Good SUV overall

Tina, 04/25/2010
SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our SLT new and I love it to this day! It drives like a sedan, the sound system is great, hemi is very powerful. Sometimes it seems to get confused with the gear switch but no mayor issue. I didn't have any issues with that but the hubby did. It did have one major issue with some computer panel. The engine stalled in the middle of drive a couple of times and another time it lost power and started to drive bumpy while a bunch of dashboard lights came on. Of course that happened right after the warranty ran out. Lately we've had a clicking sound in the motor (not always) that turns off after a while. I hope it's not a new trend with all the little fix it's. It's only got 50,000 miles

12345...28