Used 2005 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews

Used Dakota for Sale
Select your model:
12345...24

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

260,000 miles and going strong

Kathy F., 12/29/2018
4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my Dakota since it had 5,000 miles on it. I used it to commute 100 miles a day. Now, I use it for weekend use. When it had 200,000 miles on it, I bought tires. The mechanic tried to talk me into ones that would last for 90,000 miles and I laughed because the truck had so many miles on it. Looks like I may have to put a new set of tires on it. I love, love, love this truck. Would have bought one with less miles on it recently if I could have found one.

3 out of 5 stars

4.5 out of 5 stars

great mid size with heart of a full size

daveydoo, 01/01/2015
4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Perfect size for urban areas. Has 4.7L with 5 speed transmission with normal maintenance is still strong. Returning 16.2 combined driving. With 138631 miles I had to replace front shocks and rebuild front suspension due to feeling floaty and steering no too crisp. Interior is perfect for four full size adults.

3.25 out of 5 stars

Not the best, Not the worst

350rocket, 06/23/2013
4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 3.7 with just over 80,000 miles. it runs phenomenally considering the amount of torture ive put it through. It does lack power and torque. however, it is a reliable vehicle. the 4x4 to be quite honest should be used strictly for what it was designed and not mud running. I get just over 11 miles to a gallon, which is disappointing but, again this thing just keeps running. The only real issues Ive came across are having to replace the entire front suspension and all four o2 sensors. I highly recommend that if you are to own one of these trucks especially the 2005 that you have advanced knowledge in mechanics, otherwise you might as well just give your paycheck the garage.

4.38 out of 5 stars

It rocks

mrwilliematt, 02/02/2005
4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought a 2005 Dodge Dakota Larimie Quad Cab 4WD, V8. I traded in a 2003 Dakota Quad Cab 2WD with the 3.9 V6. The 2005 rides, handles, and sounds way better than the 2003. I also gets better mileage. I am getting around 17 on the 2005 compared to 15 on the 2003. I know a lot of people do not care for the looks of this truck but as a driver it is light years ahead on the previous model Dakota.

3.88 out of 5 stars

Driving 2005 Dakota 4x4 QuadCab 8 Years

cool_breeze1, 05/31/2015
4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I would call this an average vehicle with average performance and average reliability. Gas mileage, performance, comfort, reliability not awful but not great, mostly in the middle leaning towards the better side. I have the towing package and hear that the truck is great for its size, however I have never towed with it, owned it since 2007 and do not know whether previous owner towed. MPG has crept down over the years to around 14 city, 18 highway - wish that I had purchased the 8 cyl since the day I got this one, as the smaller engine has made no difference in mileage but a lot of difference in fun, 8 is better. Average maintenance, minor warranty work on heater fan motor, OK truck.

12345...24