Used 2007 Chevrolet Aveo Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Aveo for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

She's a good old gal

lovee, 10/25/2014

I bought my basic Aveo in Feb 2007 right off the lot, brand new. My little silver bullet has been a pretty car with only a few minor problems. in 2012 i had to get the valve cover gasket replaced, 2013 both rotors had gone bad, but mechanically, she really has had any major motor issues. I feel she has a few good years left, as i don't think the basic model was intended to last beyond 10yrs. But, she may surprise me and keep on going.

Simply The Best Decision You Can Make

Travis Johnson, 10/03/2006

I looked and test drove, Honda Fit, Toyota Scion, Toyota Yaris and Kia Rio... Former Suzuki Grand Vitara Owner (2005 Lease) .... ABSOLUTELY THE BEST DECISION WOULD BE AVEO!!!... I have little to NO engine noise whatsoever, very smooth suspension, it does not have the torsion bar (ind. suspension), lots of cool little "features" that are common on premiums, great handling and response and EXCELLENT fuel mileage and I could compare that to my families Toyota Prius... Just the BEST investment I could have made...

07 Aveo LS sedan

corvette owner, 04/17/2009

I purchased this car this month in order to get too and from school. What a great investment. this is my first manual transmission car and "BOY" is this little thing fun.It looks good going down the road and is an overall great car. Not to mention this thing will take you 400 miles on a single tank of gas.

Little Red Car

D Johnson, 03/05/2010

Bought this car for commuting after the gas prices finally got too much for me to pay with my truck. Been through two midwest winters and although it is small and light, trouble on the road from snow and ice has been minimal. The heater puts out enough heat to be comfortable and the vents are well placed for comfort. The high seating position is a treat and the turning radius makes in town driving easy. Bought the car used so had to accept that there is no cd player, but the aux. input has more than made up for it. The car has more pick up and go than I had anticipated and has great driver visibility and has been extremely reliable up to this point.

Aveo: a real contender, poorly marketed

Mike, 10/06/2006

GM cannot figure out why they can't sell cars. Here is a pleasing, cool, practical contender in the Mini club but who's to know? Great gear box, precise steering feel, amazingly quiet with a compliant, controlled ride. The only weakness I could find: the seat has little support (you sit on it, not in it) and the headrest is somewhat annoying and doesn't support the head comfortably. But, a definite "must drive" when considering Fit, Yaris, etc. A well developed package for all-around use that puts a smile on your face.

Great Car, Simple and Fun!

Shauna, 02/10/2010

I have really enjoyed my Chevy Aveo. I purchased this vehicle right out of college looking to save money on gas and the purchase price. I have not had any problems with the vehicle at all. I keep up on all the maintenance and just got new tires at 46,000 miles. Not a luxury car for sure but the LT is nice with leather, wood and some stainless accents...plus the AUX is nice and the 6 disc changer. Everything I needed and would definitely recommend it! p.s. I live in WI...handles unreal in the snow for the size! My first winter I was REALLY nervous but my pumpkin (burnt orange:) never let me down!

Economy Commuting Work Car

Carrie, 08/22/2006

When looking for an economy car that primarily would be used for work/commuting, I looked for in this order: reliablity/dependability, gas mileage, price, and options/looks. Amoung others looked at: Ford Focus, Saturn ION, and the economy one from Toyota (which I can't remember the name of but, not much to be disired either). After test driving and having the vehicle I have which is the Chevy Aveo. I am happy with its performance, maintenance, options, price, and gas mileage, and I like how it handles curves. I feel safe and comfortable. Even though it's slow going up hill at the rate of speed I prefer, but it's keeping my gas mileage reasonable. Overall, I don't regret purchasing it

Excellent car for a firstimer!

anthony, 11/04/2006

After three months of painstaking dilemma, I finally got this car! My first ever car! Looks are great both in and out. It's easy to maneuver, comfortable, very economical, and lots of space inside! I had test driven almost a dozen of cars, but the Chevy had its advantages. That's why I chose it!

Great deal on a good little car

spicyorangeaveolove, 12/18/2006

Recently bought the 2007 special value model Chevy Aveo 5 (hatchback). I love the style and color, spicy orange. It is a very nice little car especially for the price. It is a base model so not fancy in any way but comfortable, roomy, and zippy. I am very happy so far. Spicy orange style.

I love my Chevy Aveo

Rae, 12/31/2006

I think this is a cute, fun, reliable car. I am glad I bought it. Nice transportation to and from my job, as well as around town. I check out many cars and it was a toss between the Aveo, Scion or the PT Cruiser. In the end I decided on the Aveo 5 hatchback. I got bright blue, which is a pretty color, but not my choice. Others I would have had to wait for, and I needed transportation in a hurry. I would have preferred the new cinnamon, pretty yellow or slate blue. All and all I am satisfied with my new little car and it fits in my driveway behind my husband's larger van. I needed a compact car for that reason. I have one suggestion regarding the side view mirrow.

Very Reliable

Albert, 02/28/2009

Only my 3rd vehicle(all Chevy) to never have a problem. Put 62000 miles in 54 weeks on this car. changed tires at 45000 miles. Been a surprise as to driving. Due to my financial problems sold 3 Mercedes ,sl55,s55,cl55 and a 2007 corvette. Very surprised the performance and seats did not bother me after coming out of my prior vehicles. Was very bad and only changed oil 1 time and never went in for normal service. oil level never went down even after long quick trips. Gad millage at 85 was 27-29.5. Wind can push this car very easy and had occasionally caused the steering wheel to be knocked out of my hand. Breaks squeaked a lot in the morning

Reliable, comfortable, safe

alisotoga11, 12/20/2011

Bought this used with 40k 2 years ago for 8500. No problems, put on nice Michelin tires and it handles good. The very cheap tires on it had it squeal around corners. Drive it to San Francisco, park it anywhere, same size as a Mini, and get a solid 30+mpg. Only thing I do not like is no cruise control, for the money I would buy another. It stills runs good, and think it will a while longer.

my little yellow puddle jumper

Michael Morrison, 02/26/2018
5 Special Value 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this "nothing automatic" basic car to do a 105 mile round trip to my job. That's 525 miles a week. Did the job six years. The car never had a tune up just oil changes and tires. Until mice invaded and built a nest under the timing belt which caused the belt to skip sprocket teeth which bent six or so valves ($1800 bucks later) the car was totally reliable. I hope to keep it alive for another couple of years or so (local trips under fifteen miles) since the trade in value according to Edmunds is $74 bucks. Needless to say I have declared total war on the local mouse herd. Adopted six outside "barn" cats, bought a pellet rifle, and encouraged predatory birds to nest in our woodlot! Since I wrote this the car is still running but no longer inspectable (rust) so I just use it around my small town. This summer will probably drive it to that great auto recycler in the sky or donate it to my local PBS radio station.

Very dependable and great on gas!

amack1, 07/08/2011

I love my little Aveo, I bought it brand new in April of 2007 and the only things I've had to do where get the valve cover replaced (under warranty), change a relay switch which cost me less than $20, wheel bearings at 60k and regular maintenance. I've used mobil 1 in my car since the day I brought it home, literally and I've had no problems! It is fun to drive, the easiest 5 speed I swear, I just changed the brakes for the 1st time at 90k miles. (you don't use much with a stick). It has been very reliable and great on gas, i usually get 35-37 mpg, never under 32mpg. If you treat it right, it will return the favor!

Love this car!

Jean Bell, 12/10/2006

Waited a long time to get it, two months. It has a sporty exterior, spoiler, et al. Luxurious interior and very comfortable. Lots of extras included. A pleasure to drive, pep, good brakes, ease of parking, and a real buy for the money. Just what I needed for around the town and brief trips. Recommend it for anyone who needs a runabout, with style.

I've grown to like it.

Unclewally, 09/18/2008

I purchased my brand new black LT 4 door with all options except sunroof, leather and steering wheel audio controls. I checked around and it was the least expensive car with the options I wanted. I needed a more fuel economical car being that I commute 150 miles round trip a day, for four days. My 11 mpg (highway) Ford Explorer, V8, All Wheel Drive was killing me at the pump. (I still love my truck). I put the car to the test as soon as I got it. I had a custom made tow hitch installed to pull a mini tear drop cargo trailer and drove to Houston Texas. She was loaded with 3 adults and pulling a loaded mini trailer. She didn't miss a beat. Mind you the car is cheesy. You get what you pay for.

Nice Car

Scott , 10/18/2006

I love this car. It rides nice, looks great, and you can drive it for a long time before having to fill up.

Great Overall Value

Michael25503, 04/02/2007

I bought this vehicle primarily for fuel economy. I consistently get 36-40 mpg in normal driving. Babying it a bit has returned several 43-45 mpg tankfulls. Running it hard on the freeway (80+ mph) drops the mileage to the 30-33 range. Comfort is good for a car of this class - comparable to my old Honda Civic. I love the lumbar support in the driver's seat. The transmission is geared well to deal with the car's modest engine torque while coming up to speed; and cruises well at highway speeds. I have not encountered any high speed or crosswind instability. Vehicle is built tight, and after 3500 miles, has proven to be quite reliable. Cornering and braking are better than I expected.

Nice Car, Well Loaded, Poor Gas Milleage

Roni, 08/18/2006

Comfortable car. Very nice interior and exterior design, and for the price, very well equipped. On the other hand, poor gas mileage for this engine. Noisy with the struts.

Aveo 2007 Electrical Problems

grams45, 08/19/2011

I have a 2007 Chevy Aveo. Within the past four weeks, my car would not start after sitting overnight..I had it charged, and purchased a new battery. The very next day, the battery was dead...a new battery mind you. I took the battery back to the auto parts store and had it tested. I was told the battery was good. This had been going on for a week. So, I took my vehicle to the Chevy dealership and was told that I needed an alternator. A new alternator was installed. Since it the inception of the new one, the vehicle still continues to not start. I took the new battery back to the Auto parts store...I had it checked and it read good battery. I insisted on a new battery and received a new one installed. Again, the battery test and a systems test is reading with a 120A as suspect problem somewhere in the electrical system. Please tell me what I should be telling the chevy/GM technicans in order to make sure my car is being checked correctly.

Hard Core Driving of an Aveo

Lenny Cieslak, 06/13/2008

I am a social worker for the Commonwealth of KY and cover 13 counties of my region. I have driven my Aveo over 45,000 miles in less than a year over mountainous roads (gravel, two-lane black top, and four lane highways. My Aveo has done excellent! I paid less than $14,000 for a fully loaded red beauty with sliding sky roof, air, auto, & alarm. It has been flawless. I even hit a 100lb deer at 60 MPH and only damaged the hood & grille. It took the licking and I never had to park it, but drove it every day since.

07 Chevy Aveo: Electrical issues

krystalb1, 06/18/2011

I have 69,000 miles on my car right now. A few months back, my horn went out, so I obviously checked for a fuse, fuse was blown so I bought fuses. As I was putting the fuses in, they were blowing out instantaneously. The last fuse I put in didn't blow out right away, so I turn the car on and all of the sudden the entire horn harnesss goes up in smoke, blew out my horn entirely. Mechanic tells me I can fix the problem which has potential to be expensive or bypass it and put in a "button" to replace the horn. As I was contemplating this decision, my interior lights went out and so did my outside lights, but only on the passenger side. Weirdest thing ever, any suggestions on what happened?

Cosmos turns 12 yrs in 6 months (July 2019)

Gray Lance, 12/12/2018
LT 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

"Cosmos" my 2007 Aveo sedan- he is 'Cosmos' gray - has been a great little car. I have yet to put 60,000 on him, but coming up on that. Other than tires (at the usual rate) and oil changes every 3,000 miles -- he is a gem of a guy!! Had to replace one tail light because neighbor kid put hole in lens with b.b. gun. My nephew replaced the spark plugs this winter and accompany wires as felt that after 11 years Cosmos needed some extra attention. Have not regretted buying this car and hope to keep him for another 10 years+.

My first car, my first baby

Claire B., 12/19/2015
5 LS 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My dad bought this car back in 2007 brand new when I was 13. He paid it off and when I got my driver's license, he gave it to me. I loved this car. It had all the bells and whistles at the time. Overtime things did go wrong though. The drivers door lock fell (common problem apparently), hinges were creaky and stiff, headlights burnt out constantly, and it did not hold up in accidents. That last one always made me somewhat scared to get in my vehicle. My first accident was in 2011. When I got t-boned in a parking lot. At 10mph my front axel was bent and my drivers door hinge was crumpled. Problems were fixed but never solved. Unfortunately a month ago I was rear-ended and because of the poor quality of this vehicle, it caused more damage than what the vehicle was worth. Being a 2007, it only had 54000 miles on it. I said my goodbyes today and am now beginning my search for a new car. It wasn't great quality but it was never meant to be. It was however a great first car.

Peggy's Review

peggy629, 09/02/2006

I like my new Aveo, but the gas mileage is not what I expected or was reported. I think it should have a switch where you can lock doors from inside.

In the Shop

stbone, 09/08/2008

6,500 miles - in for repair 4 times. 1 - bad light relay 2 - would not accelerate, bad throttle body 3 - overheating and no air conditioner, told it was low on anti-freeze. 4 - engine is bad. Knocked loudly from cam shaft. We are still waiting for a short block and head. This averages out to less than 2,000 miles per repair. The dealer has been Nice and Chevy is paying for a rental, but what a pain for a new car. And we bought a new so we wouldn't have to deal with this sort of thing. We are highly disappointed.

I Love Basic Transportation.

hawaiianbuffet, 09/11/2008

Just got a night work shift so I can catch the bus now after driving days for three months. Everything I expect from a $10,000 car with a $2,000 rebate, and another $1,000. from charging groceries on my GM mastercard credit card points. This Korean made car has a 1.6 liter engine to handle the load from the A/C. Since the Special Value doesn't have A/C, it has a lot of power. I drive 95% freeway and get 37 MPG. Same as a Cavalier with a larger motor. Seating is OK. Not plush. What else can I say about a basic car? Will buy another one in three years.

Good Economical and tough car

middleofnowhere, 09/18/2008

I work in construction and drive in the dirt every day. My work is all over Southern California. This is a well put together car. When I first bought and it was clean, I took wife and friends out to dinner several times. Lots of interior room. Now my car is constantly dirty, so I only use for work. I get 27 mpg with AC running and mixed driving. During winter I get about 30 with mixed driving. Interior is functional. Good ground clearance. Very happy and recommend.

Happy to have one!

Joey V, 10/14/2008

I once had a Ford Escort but that was a while ago. I drive 48 miles 1 way to work, and drive on the coast of Califonia. Speed limit 65. I work early so no one on the road and I drive 60 mph. Nice ride to and from work, getting 38 mpg. It will be my 14yr old daughter's in 2 yrs and she loves it. Big change from my Suzuki XL-7 which my college son drives now.

Great Car

Bob B, 11/07/2008

I have the 4 door sedan. Never had a problem. Took the car over from my daughter who moved to Chicago and didn't need a car. It would have never have been a car I would have bought. It tuned out to be a very pleasant suprise. The fuel mileage has been great and the room inside is unbelivable. We had 5 adults in the car and I am 6'4. I put really good tires on it and it runs at 80 mph on the highway with no problem. Easy to park. I take it from Detroit to Chicago twice a month (4.5 hour drive) and it's comfortable. I wouldn't want to take it across the country but I'm old and like big cars. Great car for the money, 3 of my neighbors have bought them since I got mine.

What a car

hubbard, 11/21/2008

For the price that I paid, this car was a bargain. I know it's for transportation, but this car is incredibly fun to drive. I've put over 8000 mi on it so far and I've found it to be very comfortable even for 8 hour drives. It also has been averaging 32mpg on my way from Boston to DC so I've also been saving up to 80 dollars round trip, which is incredible. All in all, it has lots of space, room for 5 (reasonably comfortable), it's great on gas, and it gets you place to place with a 100000mi warranty for 11,000. Money well spent.

Great Commuter Car!

Aveo Mike, 11/21/2008

This car does what you expect it to do - save money at the pump for a reasonably priced car. I owned it for 31,500 miles (almost 2 years-before I crashed it). My only complaint was that the front tires wore down after 22,000 miles, and the seats could be more comfortable. Other than that, the car pays for itself by laughing at gas pumps. Bought it as a commuter car going 60 miles a day, and never got less than 26 mpg city. Highway got 32~33 mpg easy. I crashed it recently, and the front collapsed well like an accordian- and I walked away without a scratch.I am 6'3 tall and fit well inside. Solid car for the price. Trunk is big,"hold" traction button puts car into lower gear for torque traction

Love this car

kjstrouble, 02/20/2009

I have found this a fun replacement for my 10 year old Elantra. It has great pick up and better than advertised mileage. This was a nice surprise because I bought it mainly for the price and lower insurance cost. But as a tall person, I fit better in this than in any of the comparable cars I tried out.

Fun Car

ed, 12/30/2007

I traded a 2005 Cobalt for this car. In spite of the smaller size, it is more comfortable, but it doesn't have the driver information center like the cobalt. I had got used to being able to teel the fuel economey and the outside temperature. It also has a ridiculous power lock system that can only be locked with a key when one is leaving the car. The power is adequate and it is quite roomy.

Chey Aveo 2007 Review

Nancy, 03/27/2009

I like this car. It was cheap. I wanted something inexpensive that was good on gas mileage and reliable. Paid $8,100 out the door. No air conditioner, but it has a lot of good features that years ago would have been considered an upgrade. Very reliable and so cute!

Great little car, glad I bought it

celticgent2, 04/01/2009

I bought a 2007 Aveo 5 door hatch back LS with automatic trans and air conditioning for my 16 year old daughter. That was 2 and a half years and 30,000 miles ago. Its been a great little car ! No problems at all and gets great gas mileage. This was the perfect car for my daughter to learn how to drive. Its easy to drive, has great visibility and very good safety features like side impact air bags with good crash test ratings. I guy at work has the same car but with a manual transmission and he swears he is getting 40 MPG ! What do people expect from a $12,000 car ? Its a great value.

Great until recently (valve issues)

good so far, but...., 10/08/2009

Reliable (inc. all the way down to - 10F no issue). Not sporty (understeer), or sexy, but a very functional commuter. Inexpensive/easy to maintain, great on gas (35mpg at 80mph), BUT at 30 000, was getting 'bucking' cold (about 40F outside) when slowing at stop signs, and bucking when cold at 30mph (with flashing check engine light) - deayler confirmed valve issue (to be fixed under warranty). Synthetic oil since I got it didn't save it from this defect. Also had belt tensionner issues and rotor vibration (turning the rotors fixed that). Otherwise, I do like the car, and the service is friendly/trustworthy (they are throwing in a new Timing belt install)

Gets you from A to B

JimHo, 11/15/2009

Just traded an 07 Aveo LT sedan/automatic in a few months ago. It had no real issues and it got the job done for me until I was ready to move up to something nicer. The engine is tiny but then again the car is pretty small. You aren't going to win any races in this thing but I could still pass safely on 2 lane roads. Driver visibility is excellent on this car due to the high seating position and wide windshield. Due to size, the car is also very agile in low speed tight turns, so it's easy to park and weave through city traffic. On the LT (maybe others) they also throw in a lot of nice options that you wouldn't expect in this price class, like heated mirrors and foglights.

Best Deal on the Road!

intexas2, 01/30/2008

Best deal on basic transportation, hands down! Drove out of the dealership with a brand new Aveo for $7250. Granted, this included a $2K GM Card rebate, but without it, I would have gotten it for $8250, a price including TTL. Performance is adequate, lots of room, and no power locks/windows that will break in a few years anyways. Great GM warranty. Build quality is very good. Engine is a bit weak; you'll need to downshift to make it up a steep hill. Gas mileage is good, not stellar. Appreciate the side-impact airbags. For the price, it's unbeatable! Lots of 2007's still on dealer lots if you look.

Cheap transportation

dleebold, 04/12/2010

Bought aveo used with 21,000 miles. Had new front brakes and rotors installed because the rotors were warped. So far it's been a good car. Fun to drive, easy on gas, and I'm 6,2" and it's easy for me to get in and out. For a small car, interior has a lot of room. Easy to get around in snow. I would buy another.

Nice

Todd Loyd, 10/30/2006

The car is much nicer than any other compact I have owned. Bought as a second car and a grocery getter. This does more than deliver. It is smooth, quiet, comfortable, and has about as much power as you would expect from a compact.

New owner

december, 02/08/2007

Very fun to drive, although not a cold weather car by any means. If you live somewhere that it is below freezing a lot, do not buy this car. The defrost (outside of the main vents) isn't very good and it will drive you crazy. I've no complaints on this car yet. make sure you get auto door locks as it's optional. I do not have them and wish I'd gone for it. Get all options on this car, as there are not many - and it still will not cost you that much!

Great car for the money.

Matt, 01/26/2007

I would have to say without a doubt that the improvments in styling for the 2007 model sold us but I especially liked the new rear tailight design. It is much bigger inside than it looks although rear space is limited but feels like a much more expensive car than it is. The ride is good for a small car and handling is also good and makes for easy parking.

My little car

Rob G, 04/05/2007

I was very happy with this buy because its my first car. I needed somthing cheap and good. The look was great and the interior was great for the price range. What won me over was the look and the price and the miles this thing gets. I support American cars so I love this car. Sorry Yaris.

Engine Failed At 11K

Kevin, 05/17/2007

Very light weight, handles very poorly in wind. Gets a nasty screeching noise from doors or mirrors when driving in wind. Front engine crankshaft seal failed yesterday, lost all oil, damaged engine, oil/idiot light did not come on before engine started knocking. GM will only replace damaged parts, which is the crankshaft and bearings. Not pleased with that, should get a fresh engine and waranty. Manual transmission is already showing signs of problems, clunks into gear and sometimes hard to get into first. I am not a kid hot roding it. Its a commuter car, I drive it carefully.

Just needs bigger tires

wifesfirstnewcar, 08/30/2007

It's my wife's first new car and turns out I use it more than her. I just love it. We just came back from a 1500 mile trip and it performed perfectly.

Best Value

Ron, 08/18/2007

I was very impressed with the ride comfort an handling of this car. It is a vast improvement over subcompacts of previous generations. I really like the european stlying direction GM has been taking with the vehicles it has brought to market over the last few years. It is a little strained to accelerate up a hill starting from a standstill (but what the hell! it's no worse than our Jeep Liberty). The shift quality could be a little better, but here again, I didn,t purchase a Porsche. To sum up, in terms of interior and exterior styling, fuel economy, ride comfort, and handling it is a very good value for the money. I made my purchase chioce over Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris.

Bought for hr, want for me!

Sam, 06/11/2007

I must say that even though I purchased this car for my wife, I really want it for myself. I drive it any chance I get. It is actually quite sporty in both the design and handling. Very little came with the car, in terms of features but it is worth it! I have pretty decent credit and although I may not have gotten the best rate out there, I still feel like my payment is nothing. Most importantly, it is a safe, car with side airbags standard, and has a great crash rating (hope we never have proof of that!)

Nice Ride

AveoAngel, 08/30/2007

Being a full-time student with very little funds, I was very limited on which car I could buy. I didn't necessarily want the Aveo at first, especially after finding out that it was Korean made, and had some bad reviews. However, I have to say that I absolutely enjoy this car. I love how I don't have to be right on top of the steering wheel (I'm 5 foot even) The interior is cheapy, but really? I needed a car to get from A to B with the best gas possible for the less price. I found it. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

Chosen over Fit, Versa, Yaris, PTcruiser

road gypsy, 10/24/2007

I have owned Aveo 5 now for 2 weeks. I chose this vehicle over the honda fit because of price difference (about $3000), Versa because no fold flat or flip and fold seats, Yaris because I needed a 4 door hatch, and PT because of fuel economy. I also chose the Aveo because by far it had the best styling of all of them. The seat covers are durable and attractive and I loved the carbon fiber look trim. On to the driving, it is a much better driving experience than would be expected from a budget sub compact. It is quiet, zippy for such a low horsepower,and overall handles as well if not better than some of the pricier cars I have owned. Plenty of cargo room with flip and fold seats too! Love it!

51050