Used 1998 Chevrolet Astro Consumer Reviews

Used Astro for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...6

Pros
Cons

Long Term Test Drive of 9 yrs, 102k mi

dave8697, 04/09/2007
3dr Minivan

I got lucky compared to some on here. I haven't yet spent $600 on repairs in 9 yrs. Bought new and has been less reliable than my previous Astro in some ways. Transmission needed a $170 repair and rear A/C line is not properly supported, wore a leak and needed $350 repair. Water pump going at 80k not impressive. Battery was defective and died from terminal rot out disease that was designed into it to save a few cents. The trans trouble was from an alum part in place of cast iron that was tried and failed. Interior and paint have held up great. No rattles, fade, or things getting loose. Engine like new. Van was well built and gets 23 mpg on trips. Road handling is a weak spot.

Power, Roomines, 23 mpg on trips

dave8697, 04/21/2007
3dr Minivan

Owned it 9 years and 102k mi. I didn't expect it to be perfect and it wasn't. It was $18,400 out the door and stickered for $24,800 so I could easily afford the $250 trans repair in year 6 and the $350 rear a/c line repair in year 7. One water pump, one battery, one serp belt. Very reliable. Takes $9 brake pads and $35 tires. Roof rack adds only interior noise.

Happy With It

yoyack, 07/29/2007
LS 3dr Minivan

Bought new and its been very good. Count on the fuel pump going out. Mine did and so did every one in my employers fleet. It's big, comfortable and great on long drives. Power window, water pump and alternator replaced. Never overheated in 115 degree desert heat. Great A/C kept things cool inside. Wife likes this more than the Q45. Would buy again if reliability is as good as imports. Domestics just aren't there yet. Extend the warranty and significantly lower parts prices and I will buy another one. Parts for imports used to be expensive, now domestics are no different.

Love my Astro

helloed, 03/05/2003
LS 3dr Minivan

My Astro is probably one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. Besides a set of tires and a battery, I've never had a problem. It holds lots of stuff, people, or both. And then I can add a trailer. I have a smaller car I can use for road trips, but why? The front seats in the Astro are some of the best captains chairs I've ever sat in! The gas milage is great considering it weighs 2 tons. The best I've gotten is 26(!) MPG. It isn't a sports car by any means, but for a big metal brick, it handles quit well.

GREAT VAN

scott , 11/16/2002
LS 3dr Minivan

GREAT VAN! The only thing this van needs is more horsepower and torque!

12345...6