Used 2016 BMW 7 Series Consumer Reviews

List Price Range

Used 7 Series for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

2016 750i xDrive (G12 Platform)

JW, 04/21/2016
750i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

After having a less than acceptable ownership and service experience with my 2015 MBZ S63 AMG Sedan (Transmission failures less than 8k miles), I decided to try the new 7. I would have opted for the Alpina B7 had it been avail but due to timing I opted for a 750i xDrive. Although not quite as fast as the much more expensive Benz I traded, this car is far more engaging and athletic to drive. The 4.4L V-8 is silky smooth and the transmission programming is spot on. On a car with as much technology as these high-end sedans have, I much prefer the interfaces and user-friendliness of BMW's approach to controls, infotainment, and gizmos (exception of the seat controls.... MBZ has the best placement for seat controls). The drive settings provide a cadre of options ranging from pillow soft to firm. Perhaps I haven't discovered how yet but I'd like the car to stay in the mode I last drove it in (defaults to comfort every time I start it up). In all drive settings the car performs admirably on road trips over varied pavement. I do notice more dramatic pitch from the front suspension than I am used to in a BMW under hard braking or hard acceleration. I don't opt for the 21" wheels based on other's reviews that they are overly harsh. I am running the 20" M-Sport 5-Spoke wheels on Pirelli Run-Flats and they seem to be a good compromise. I am sure, as with all other BMW's I've owned, performance comes partly at the price of accelerated tire wear. This being a long wheelbase all-wheel drive 7-series, I expect 12-15K miles out of a set of tires tops.... The Bowers & Wilkins Stereo is worth the coin and far superior to the top of the line Burmester Audio in the Benz (Speakers in my AMG were poorly designed/installed and housings began resonating badly very soon after purchase). My initial impressions on the new 7 series are positive and my hope is I still enjoy my seat time in this car in year 2, 3, and beyond. I believe BMW's biggest strengths in this segment are in it's general user-friendliness of high end features and general quality implementation and refinement of all systems. For me, BMW has done a far superior overall job to MBZ and Audi and worth noting, Tesla (Sorry Tesla, If I want to open my sunroof, I don't want to browse through menus on a big screen to get there....).

Great Car

Rlee.mcccullar@gmail.com, 07/16/2016
750i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I have owned my 750 for a few weeks and LOVE it! Had been a Porsche guy for a long time, but nothing matches the ride/ engine of the big 7! Wife has a Range Rover....not even close. This is a great luxury ride that offers more room, more exhilarating performance, and better handling than Benz S Class. Not hating them, I have an SL550, but the BMW is un paralleled as a daily driver or on a trip. I had a BMW before and hated iDrive, but love the new system. The air conditioner is excellent, the new interface is more friendly, and visibility in the car is excellent. Give one a try....you will be glad you did!

A car by any other name isn't

Atlcarguy, 12/08/2016
750i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

a BMW. This truly is the best car I have ever owned. I have previously had MB, Jag, Audi, Jeep, Acura, etc. I went into this thinking it was going to be an S Class or a Model S. (Both great cars in their own right) However, after driving the S I couldn't shake the feeling that it felt old. Anyone who chose that car got a great one it just wasn't for me, and this is after aspiring to an S my whole life. I drove the Tesla Model S and loved the acceleration and Auto Pilot, but it felt very cramped and the materials are not even close to 5 series quality let alone the 7. I liked the Tesla but feared I would get tired of the tradeoffs. I drove the 7 and knew I had to have it. It is extremely fast, very comfortable, and has a decent percent of the autonomous capabilities of the then Model S. After 8,000 miles, I can honestly say I still love it. I'm getting about 19 mpg around town and 29-30 when I do long highway hauls. Pretty darned impressive for a dual turbo V8 that will haul A*% when needed.

Adaptive Cruise Control issues with 2016 BMW 740i

Annonymous, 02/22/2017
740i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

The adaptive cruise control misses to adapt speed or stop or detect a vehicle in front requiring driver intervention to avoid a collision. I have seen multiple symptoms of this problem occurring. The problems seem to be more persistent when ACC is turned on with no car in view Symptom 1: Vehicle BMW with adaptive cruise control is tracking another vehicle (showing in cockpit) and adapting speed however for unknown reason it later fails to start the process of slowing down and collision alarm is sounded Symptom 2: Vehicle BMW is tracking another vehicle and adapting speed on lane 1; upon BMW switching lanes to another clear lane, car tracked in cockpit disappears, the BMW accelerates to reach target speed and though it later it detects another vehicle in front it fails to start slowing down. Driver intervention is required to brake and slow down. Symptom 3: Same as driving condition in symptom 2 except that upon lane switch the BMW fails completely to detect a vehicle parked in the second lane and keeps going on at same speed. Driver intervention is required to stop the BMW Symptom 4: When two lanes merge and another vehicle is moving in from the of the BMW either from the front right or the front left the BMW fails to detect the vehicle merging in front and fails to adapt speed. Driver intervention is required.

Best car I've owned - so far...

John S WILSON, 05/09/2016
750i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I bought my 7 Series X-Drive with the big V-8, here in Colorado, in early March 2016. I drove this car from Colorado to Palm Springs, CA, shortly after my purchase, and was just amazed at its performance and handling. I traded in a Porsche Panamera 4S (2012) and that was a great car, designed (I think) with my demographic in mind. I'm 75 years old. Before the Panny, I drove 3 Audi A8 L's. This is an incredibly high-tech car, and I discover new things about its innards almost daily. The BMW organization practically fawns over me as a buyer of its top-priced sedan, and I guess I like that. I also really like the full maintenance warranty, so - unlike Porsche-Audi's "turn" over the last few years with their very costly maintenance services, I pay for nothing; although I'd guess it's in the price of the vehicle. Especially at Palm Springs altitude - sometimes UNDER sea level - with all the O2 that location provides, the power of this vehicle with its twin-turbo engine, is astounding. And to my great surprise, my mileage, off the vehicle's computer, was averagiing 30.2 mpg from Boulder to Palm Springs - 1050 miles. Huh? Incredible. And the car's comfortable and ultra-luxurious interior is a pleasure to experience, and the various optional handling levels (suspension, throttle response, shift points) provide varied driving experiences which are a real kick to play with. At my home in Colorado, I live in the mountains overlooking Boulder, and at 8000 feet, the car still runs like a 'Vette - and there are many twists and turns on the roads leading from my Boulder home to Boulder-City, 2400 feet below my front door. If you want ultimate luxury and incredible power and handling, consider this car - the AWD Xdrive is a huge plus for my home area, and so far, it has operated flawlessly. My current miles put on this car add up to just over 4000 road miles, and I hope it runs and handles as well as it currently does, for another 30-40K miles, before my next car must be selected!

HAD THE CAR A TOTAL OF 2 DAYS IN 2 WEEKS

lisagmomof3, 01/21/2016
750i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I really don't know what to say about this car other than I'm very disappointed. Had it for 12 hours and it died twice. Got it back a week later and it died again. Both times it died while driving! Needless to say I had it towed out of my garage and did not want it back. I was given a 2016 7 loaner and that died too…..coincidence or is someone trying to tell me something? Don't get me wrong the car is beautiful, but should be spitting out rainbows for the price of the car. It was FULLY LOADED everything you can get I had in the car. So as the saying goes" 3 times is a charm", I am waiting for the new 7 which replaces the first one i leased. Wish me luck…..if this one dies I will NEVER go back. Such a shame.

Hold on that Lexus!

Donna Slappey, 01/27/2017
740i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Been a Lexus owner for the past 20 years. They just don't make them like they used to, body style is way too Darth Vader for me! Never thought I would buy a BMW product again but my 740 has changed my mind. Never looked back.

Lemon!!

Nate K, 05/17/2016
750i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Sometimes we can not change sat radio stations, was on a two hour car ride and was stuck on Pitbull radio. We can highlight another station, use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel, finger gesture to skip to the next station it will not select or enter. I called the service dept multiple times and finally got through. She said to restart the car. The last 5 or 6 times this happened it took half a dozen to a dozen restarts. I had to turn it off and get out, lock it to put it in hibernation and restart. This is happening more and more with this car. Other issues: -Cruise control will shut off completely on the expressway when you hit a bump. Have to turn it back on and set it again. -moonroof rattles and squeaks, sounds like a ten year old clunker. Have to vent it to stop the noise. Closing the sun shade muffles the noise. -camera's fail for parking. 360 and either front or back camera's. "camera fault" black screen. -safety systems fail and have faults, lane keeping, side monitoring stop working. -adaptive cruise has failed a few times, fault and will not work. sensor fault. Close call with the car in front of me stopping!! -display key locks up a lot. Gets stuck under sub menu's and will not go back to main menu. Have to hold the power button for 30 seconds to reset it. -Display key will not show the correct info on the car. Car is locked and it shows on the key car is unlocked. Will show moonroof or windows are open when they are closed. Had to run outside to double check. -says key battery is dead on the display in dash. Display key is above half full battery. -I played with the auto park feature and it ran the car into the curb twice. -Samsung tablet will not connect to the car for back seat passengers, have to restart a lot or reconnect the tablet to the car. Will not control anything if you can get it beyond the connecting scrolling circle. When the car was delivered to us the BMW genius had issues with the tablet, I could not leave the dealership for a while until he figured it out. -Voice control says it is not available a lot when you hit the button on the steering wheel. Example: I will try to respond to a text message through voice and it will not work, "the function is currently not available" The dealership has been horrible to deal with, can't get it in for two weeks!!

The best 740i ever

Ilya Kuntsevich, 12/05/2016
740i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I was looking for a new car for quite some time, as my M5 E60 was becoming a classic and I needed more comfort, better gas milage and front massage seats. I test drove Tesla P85D, Mercedes S-class and they didn't impress me - heavy cars with bad corners handling. When I first test drove 740i it really impressed me with lightness and super easy handling of the steering wheel. It is a big car, but driving it feels like it is not - engine, transmission, suspension combination is absolutely flawless. I now have 1000 miles on it and drove it for one month and love it every time I see it and I drive it. Technology and iDrive are top-notch, giving you a feeling of a spaceship, and not quite a car. The only shortcoming includes no full integration with Apple products (no screen mirroring and bad connectivity via bluetooth), which works great with Android products. Another shortcoming is lack of unlimited WiFi for the car from ATT - for some reason all you get is 10GB.

Gimmicky disappointment

Chris Brickman, 06/15/2017
750i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I traded a 2016 S550 for a 2016 750ix with very low miles on it. That was a big mistake. The ride and drive is better in the big Merc - and the new 750 feels soft and "un-BMW like". In addition, the front seats are better in the Merc. Finally, the iDrive technology in the new 750 is gimmicky and unreliable. It is constantly glitching with my iPhone and I have had it into a dealer 3 times to update the software to remove issues. Bottom line, BMW had 2 years after the S550 redesign to one up MB - and they embarrassed themselves by launching this poorly engineered car. I have owned many BMWs over the years, but this will likely be my last.

2 years out....my 4th BMW

Wendy, 12/13/2015
740i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Consider what comes standard on the series. What features are most important to you and what you can afford. I wanted the horsepower of the 750 but opted for the 740 because of the actual improbability that I would be racing the car..:)..so far I am beyond impressed and don't want to get out of the car. I will say that the interior feels a bit of less quality than my 550...which was built in 2008. They have made some other refinements that balance the overall experience. I am a lifelong bimmer enthusiast. Update: 6/14/16 I am in love! I really have no complaints about the car. I did have to add radiator fluid...which is weird for this year model. I will see if that problem repeats itself. So far so good! The learning curve is sharp with this car as the technology is very advanced. I must retract my comment above based upon horsepower because I have now driven the 750 and the difference in driving experience definately does not justify cost. Overall, really content with my purchase! I still fell the same 2 years out....onlu complaint is front window noise that I swear occurred after i had the windows tinted in 2015. It's been checked and still no resolve. The whistle sound on the highway drives me slightly nuts.

great car

ANDREW MATTHIESEN, 07/08/2016
740i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Check lane control, cruise control is great, hands-free on opening trunk not great. gas mileage is not as good as older 2016 was

FIRST BMW OWNER

Ellsworth Evans, 07/10/2016

BMW 7 Series

Bob Macoy, 02/05/2017
740i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

I originally wasn't planing on buying this car, I originally went to buy a x5 40e but when I was in the showroom of the dealer I saw the 7 series and I knew I had to have it, after arguing with my wife for a good 2 hours to get the car she finally agreed, when I asked the salesman what color models they have in stock he told me that the one in the show room is the only one they got left so I got the car that I first saw in the show room. I had the car ever since and I love it, definitely will recommend to anyone

Not the ultimate driving machine

Dr. Kass, 06/19/2016
750i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Since 1996 this is my third seven series. This one is a cheap one, corner shortcut features, and I hate to say that I hate it. Let's start with the stupidest item first, that is the trunk key that in all cars, it closes the trunk, in this car it is designed to lock the doors, therefore, useless. The doors of all high end cars open when the driver opens the driver's side door, but in this car you also have to push to unlock button to open the other doors. Seats are cheap and no support. Dash is simple flat like old American cars. Cockpit isn't designed like a BMW signature, and cant's see the small digits of temp, hour, and other information. The radio is the worst I have ever seen. The service says it's because it's a satellite radio and it sucks in all seven series. Don't know if that is true, or they just don't want to do anything about it. The performance isn't like prior models, and the body looks like a whale simple and a long box. I was debating between this and a Maserati , and chose this because of promotional monthly lease and included service. You get what you pay for!

New 2016 BMW 740i

William Kim, 06/21/2016
740i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 8A)

Had it for little more than 2 weeks so far and I love it. Previously had 5 series and for sure this one has more power with high level of comfort. The car is priced well with some discount offered by dealer. However, there are some options priced high and if you are using it, it does not matter but since I am not using those options such as lane keeper and lane change warning, I do not think this is worth of having. Best choice might be to go with basic since even basic model comes with a plenty options with high technologies.

Hated the 2014 IL

USNVET, 10/20/2019
750i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I could not wait to dump my BMW 2014 IL X drive for the 2016 with most of the options This car put the MB S series to shame in handling and comfort I am keeping my Lexus LS 460 L AWD as I still dont trust the run flat tires . The 0-60 in 4.2 seconds is very impressive for a car this big

2016 750i x drive M3 package 20” rims Vic/Van

Vic from Vancouver, 11/21/2020
750i xDrive 4dr Sedan AWD (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

Bought 2 years ago through BMW CPO had 18k km on it. It’s a step up by a mile from my previous 2012 535i traded in when it had 136k km. Replaced the run flats Pirellis with Continental DWS made the ride and handling so much better and don’t have to deal with seasonal tire changes. Picked up a tire repair kit and air pump at Canadian Tires and saved on cost of new tires. It’s now 38k km and had an oil change and brake fluid change. Approx $500 at the dealer. Brakes and tires after 2 years of wear still @85% remaining. The car is a dream to drive, smooth and powerful. With all the options that is on this car, With up to date technology (a lot) you will be happy with for those are into technology. But make sure you get extended warranty!!! So far... no regrets with it! Hope this helps when some one is considering this luxury verhicle.

Owned Deville’s and Town Car the 750i is the Best

David Kozusko, 12/01/2020
750i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl Turbo 8A)

I’m 6’8” tall so I always needed a large car, so in 2020 when I looked there were no American made large cars. So I looked to the A8, XJL and the S550 preowned. I wanted a car still under base warranty so I looked for an off lease car. All the cars were + or - 5K. In April 2020 I purchased off lease 750i. The BMW had the best looks outside and most room interior notice wheel base length comparison. The Town Car wheel base is 117 the BMW is 126 that 9 inches is all the difference in the world. I owned now to 8 months and no real problems the adaptive cruise works great. But the BMW learning curve is very steep. Also the BMW was 106K new 3 years later it sold for 50% value it’s a great car once you learn how to use it. The screen mirroring is also android friendly not iPhone friendly. However there is a after market company BimmerTech that can refit for iPhone and apple play. Enjoy the car

51050