Used 2001 Volvo V70 Consumer Reviews - 151 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volvo V70 - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volvo V70

View reviews for a specific V70 model:

Great car but maintenance is out of this world!
By I Want to like the car so badly

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

Be prepared to be in the shop frequently and be trouble shooting often. These cars are overly complicated and have computers inside of everything and they often malfunction.

Volvo saved my family
By Katie

2001 Volvo V70 XC AWD 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

I bought this car in January for my first Big investment to keep my growing family safe.
I was sold the car with several things wrong without prior knowledge. The vehicle had an oil leak (pretty significant) and the back wiper blade refused to function along with the back hatch having electrical issues.
The passenger door just stopped working and the check engine light came on 2 days after buying it due to a "thermostat" code. The transmission seems weird at times, almost like it doesn't shift correctly. Mine has the "slap shift" option which may have something to do with it? but other than that it has been a really great car.

This Volvo is a beast in the snow, rain, climbing mountains and handles great in all.

This vehicle deserves 10 out of 5 stars for safety! I firmly beleive if I was in another vechicle our circumstances would have been much worse.
We were re-ended in March, hit so hard that it knocked us into the car in front of us!
Needless to say my Volvo took the hit like a champion and saved my husband, son, grandmother, and myself from serious injury.
Sadly it was a total loss to damages, however I will buy another volvo (new year) to replace it!

VOLVO IT A VOLVO
By Dale Webster

2001 Volvo V70 2.4M Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl 5M)

Love the looks it is what I want in a car it is a Volvo that is all you have to say VOLVO

So many problems
By Chris Wade

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

This car looks amazing and is a very safe family car. The interior is beautiful and well set up. I did find that some plastic parts broke pretty easily though. I bought this car when it was about six years old. I put very few miles on it but spent a lot of money on repairs. Such a sad car to own especially after years of having great Volvos (1965 122s, 1978 240 wagon)

The throttle body is a huge issue that costs about $2500 and caused it to intermittently stall.

The heater core leaked due to being a mix of aluminum and plastic. $900

Front suspension was weak, had to replace both A arms

The worst flaw was the transmission. Went out just over 100K and was almost $7000 to repair. At the cost of this I opted to send it to the scrap yard. Car looked great but the repair was more than it was worth. 2001 was known for transmission trouble, this was a lemon year.

Transmission Totally Messed Up
By Maria

2001 Volvo V70 2.4T Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.4L 5cyl Turbo 5A)

We bought this car a few years ago used, and no less than 10 hours of driving time later the transmission started to get jerky. The car has limped along, with us babying it, but the transmission always gets jerky after 15 minutes of city driving or on hot days. It's been a constant source of stress for us. If you get this year, just get a manual and save yourself the trouble! Glad to finally be getting rid of it-- hopefully our next choice will be a wiser one.