2009 Scion xD - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific xD model:
Seats hurt lower back
By chadsurfer8 on 07/12/12 00:41 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The car is great over all. but ...... - major problem is the front seats hurt my lower back after 30 min or more drives. the lower back support has a hard bar that hurts. like a fold out couch sofa that has a bar going through the cushion in the middle. The lower cushion is not big enough and leaves my legs hanging. No adjustment for leg height. I am 5'9'' and 170 lbs girls may not have this problem. i just replaced the seats yesterday with$500 TC seats set - fast for economy car. - i get 26 city and 32 hwy, i drive a little fast - great quality, just the sun visor has a line looks unfinished - Great look inside and out. - small like a SUV that was shrunk down. - cargo good

Xd save me lots of $$$
By kmpennington on 11/15/11 07:55 AM (PST)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Tottally worth the money!!! I have the 2009 model, I drove to Kingsport TN from Hudson, NC...all mountain terrain and still got a whopping 33 mpg...I do have the 5speed though. I loved the way it drives and that it fills up for 40.00. I would drive my scion anywhere short distance or long distance.

Owned mine for awhile...
By fitzpatrick925 on 12/29/10 18:08 PM (PST)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I haven't seen anyone review who's owned their xD for a while. I bought mine brand new in December 2008. (I remember some of the reviews I see here from my research!) I test drove both the xD and the Honda Fit the same day. I was not impressed with the Fit, and fell in love with the xD after I made a right hand turn out of the dealership-the car takes turns beautifully. Since then, the performance has remained steady-surviving long trips and daily commutes. It's run excellently and has only had oil changes thus far. I just had my first problem today-the car wouldn't start-going into the dealership tomorrow. I wish it did a little better in snow/ice-it's kind of wimpy. Otherwise, love.

Air Conditioner Drains into Vehicle
By JRN on 11/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

The vehicle is made w/o a filter and debris clogged my air conditioner drain twice. $600 later times 2, I'm getting rid of it. I don't care to have the condensation from the air conditioner draining on my feet!

Clunker Replacement
By Whitney on 01/26/10 13:45 PM (PST)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I work for a Toyota/Scion dealership and was the first person dealership- wide to trade in a car (RIP 1986 Mercury Cougar) under the Cash For Clunkers program. I was REALLY attached to my Cougar and the whole experience was heartbreaking, and it took me a while to bond with the xD. But don't let my ridiculous emotions sway you: the xD is an awesome little car. My purchase was between it and the Yaris S, and it blew the Yaris out of the water on so many levels. And to put on my sales hat for a second, this thing has loads of standard features, plenty of space, ample peppiness (I've never owned a 4cyl before and that was a concern, no problem though) and legendary Toyota Quality. Just buy one.

Great replacement for 14 mpg Jeep
By Lancoman on 12/28/09 11:26 AM (PST)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased this vehicle during "Cash for Clunkers" (Thank you to all tax payers). Inside space is excellent; I am 6'1" and my head does not hit the roof > amazing. Got the Release 2 model in Wasabi Green > nice. Radio w/GPS, accent lights are main adds. I get about 36 mpg at 70 mph most times. Looked at Honda Fit; decided not be yet another Honda sheep.

Scion xD makes me : D
By vpilot on 11/18/09 22:47 PM (PST)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

We were looking for a small affordable car that got great mileage, with a good amount of flexible space, and was built to last. We compared the Honda Fit and Nissan Versa. The Versa was a distant third in price, performance, interior, and exterior. The Fit was second in price and more mundane without the costly sport package. After one year and 20,000 miles we couldn't be happier with our decision. In addition to exceeding all the above expectations, the xD is also fun to drive, has great std features we learned to love, great dealer service, and gets lots of positive attention because it doesn't seem to be as run of the mill as some the competitors. Low fixed price policy is great too

It's ok.
By Communter! on 11/03/09 06:55 AM (PST)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

I really like all of the XD's features. The IPOD connection, steering wheel controls, and mpg calculator. I love the styling of the car. The downsides: I seem to be too tall for the car. I am 5'9, and my knees touch the bottom of the steering column. I try to get comfortable since I am driving 200 miles each day...but I just can't. I installed an aftermarket armrest...but it's just not the same. The seats are not as comfortable as you would like, and they force you to sit up, and do not hug you like many cars.

Great Car for the $
By Paul on 10/30/09 06:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Xd for 1 year. It is better than I expected. Fun to drive, economical and practical - it is all those things. It handles very well on the mountain roads I often drive. I put a rack on it and I carry bikes, skis and kayaks with no problems. There is plenty of room for a small car and the interior is well designed. The list of standard features is impressive. The engine compartment is clean and everything is very easy to get at - oil dipstick, washer reservoir, etc. This car delivers what is promised - a high value car that is a little sporty, very practical and pretty cool. Great car!

Fun Economical Car
By Steve on 10/01/09 12:52 PM (PDT)

2009 Scion xD 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car for use as my wifes and myself commuting car and to keep the SUV in the garage to keep the miles off it and save some money in gas. We keep the rear seats down and use the area as a cargo area. The dogs love the cargo area as well. We purchased an after market rubber mat that covers the complete cargo area (with the seats down). The car looks small on the outside, but inside there is a lot more room than you'd expect. We did look at the Honda Fit, but liked the look and the wat the xD drove. Also, the local Honda dealer marked up the price of the Fit by $2500 over MSRP and unwilling to negotiate off that price. Glad we passed on the Fit. The Xd fits our needs.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Scion xD in VA is:

$112 per month*