Used 2008 Saturn Astra Consumer Reviews - 136 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Saturn Astra - Consumer Reviews

2008 Saturn Astra

View reviews for a specific Astra model:

Love it
By ccran

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I traded in my Pontiac Torrent for this little gem. At first my thought was what have I done? But the same day I got the car we were hit with ice and snow (Michigan) had to drive on I75, as I watched other cars struggle, I just went along. The car handled beautifully. For me how a car handles in bad weather is so important. This one passed the test with flying colors. It doesn't hurt that it's so sharp and I love the interior.

Handling

Cupholder, who puts a cup holder so far behind the driver.

Fuel Economy - Awful
By SM

2008 Saturn Astra XE 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive car. Awful fuel economy! I drive mainly on the highway and this car gets the worst fuel economy I have ever seen with a "economy" car. 8.6L/100KM mostly driving at 110-115 KM/HR and 50-60km/hr in city (90% of km on highway)

Nice interior design and european controls. It's great to see those items here in Canada.

What was GM thinking with the fuel economy? No wonder they are losing out to Toyota and Honda. First and last time I will buy a GM product.

Nothing else compares
By dzajic

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

A great car for an amazing price. The competition (Honda Fit, Mazda 3, VW Rabbit) don't come close. Look what the Fit (closest competitor) is missing: seat height adj, sunroof, rain-sensing wipers, integrated roof rack mounting points, stability/traction control (without navigation), 17" wheels (225 vs 185 wide tires), high quality interior, rear map lights, vanity lights, heated mirrors, express down windows (all doors), 4-wheel disc brakes, OnStar system, 5 years Roadside Assist. rigid rear cargo cover, 6 disc changer, dual trip/fuel economy meters, pedal release system, 4% heavier but 18% more hp/torque, max torque at lower rpm (3800 vs 4800)

Ingenious Driver information center (only techies like me will really appreciate it's simple brilliance), huge panoramic sunroof, Euro. styling, brake power/feel, handling/cornering, solid build, door weight

Sliding/extendable sun visors (like Lexus). That about all I can think of.

Nice car to drive
By kuda1

2008 Saturn Astra XR 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Love the drive. It hugs the corners. I traded in my 2005 Vue for the Astra to save on gas mileage. I miss the Vue. The Astra averages 9.0 L/100kms with most of my driving on the highway. I have 3000 miles on it now and each tankful has been identical. I would love to get other peoples impressions. Especially tell me how many miles or kilometers you are able to get to a tankful of gas.

Exterior looks.

Cup holder location really dumb.

Buy one now!
By kyle

2008 Saturn Astra XR 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Needing a new, reliable family car to replace a 2000 2-door Pontiac Sunfire, my wife and I had narrowed it down to the Vibe, Matrix or Astra. We jumped on the GM employee discount and used our GM card earnings (a great way to save money, check it out) to help with the purchase of the Astra. I was blown away by the amount of standard features that come with this car. I do get a lot of looks when driving it, a lot of questions at gas stations, etc. It's an "everyman" priced vehicle with the features of a VW or higher end car. You can't beat the 100,000 mile warranty either. I feel very safe with my wife and baby girl crusing around the big city of Chicago in this car.

Board computer, 6 disc changer with MP3 playback (you can fit a ton of music on an mp3 cd). Great handling, seat warmers are toasty, awesome sunroof, plenty of cargo and a stylish body design

As with others, the aftermarket arm rest is a must. You can find them for around $200 and they have a secret hidden slide-out cup holder on the bottom. Also, the ipod jack should be standard in all new cars. We use an itrip and those kind of stink.