2009 Nissan GT-R Consumer Review: GT-R will GeTcha!!

2009 Nissan GT-R - Consumer Review

Premium Coupe (3.8L V6 Twin-turbo AWD 6-speed Automated Manual)

GT-R will GeTcha!!
By GlennO on

2009 Nissan GT-R Premium 2dr Coupe AWD (3.8L 6cyl Turbo 6AM)

The earlier reviews cover most of the salient points, so I will comment, with a perspective as a mechanic and former SCCA racer, and to correct a couple of errors in the other reviews. First, not only is there an outside temperature gauge, but one can set an auto or manual temp at which the dash display will warn you of icy conditions. My main gripe is that doing one's own service is a challenge on this car. The underside makes it hard to get at the mechanicals, and the owner's manual is useless for the DIY'er - it reads like a BMW manual. Parts will be very expensive, as every fluid is "special" and costly. But the car gets better the more miles I put on it, and it IS a super car, for sure!

Favorite Features

Engine responsiveness and power. Controls easy to follow once you get used to them - no i-Drive complaints from me. Ride is surprisingly good over most road surfaces in Comfort mode, and the paddle shift controls feel/function perfectly. This car is very easy to drive at high speeds - great brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Make the manual more hands-on friendly for those of us who are experienced with car maintenance. I am forced to pay hundreds of dollars more to purchase a service DVD - at this price, that should be a no-cost option. "Launch" mode will likely void the warranty, and the GT-R has elect. spy circuitry.