I like it... when it works.
By moosamabob on
2007 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)
Bought the car used with all the bells and whistles of 2007. Except for a reliable engine. While everything looked great on paper, it just doesn't deliver on the reliability front. B/t 70k and 80k miles, it's been in the shop for the timing chain, high pressure fuel pump, exhaust manifold, and the oil filter housing, each of which cost at least $1000. Plus other misc repairs. In all I've dumped $2300 into it since I got it a year ago. Thankfully I bought a warranty, doesn't cover everything though. On top of this, it has a very harsh suspension w/ the 17" rims, it's pretty noisy inside, it consumes way too much oil, everything for it is expensive, and it's entirely a pain to own. Not happy.
Favorite Features
The exterior design just looks fantastic. Grey and black is a good scheme for it. Sport mode is great, it opens the floodgates of torque and makes it so much more fun. The manual transmission is excellent: I heard was one of the best to learn from. Very smooth and easy to shift, despite the heavy clutch. The fuel economy is excellent, I'm averaging about 32mpg city. Unfortunately it requires premium gas. The panoramic sunroof is cool but squeaky when shut going over bumps. Auto a/c is also cool b/c the standard hvac controls are terrible. Great visibility.
Suggested Improvements
Better, more reliable mechanical parts that don't cost an arm and a leg every time it breaks. Softer ride, quieter. More sound deadening material inside. A recall for the cold start shudder issue. Better oil life: it's just a small performance car, not a supercar. ... This car is way more of an enthusiast than I am, requiring all kinds of special parts and meticulous attention. And nothing is easy with this car. Every time I try to get the oil changed by a non-mini dealer, they screw it up. Even a simple tire rotation turned into a 3 day ordeal. Do yourself a favor, and, unless you have a ton of money you don't mind wasting, don't buy this car.