2001 Isuzu Trooper - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Trooper model:
Engine and transmission
By WYODRIVER on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Trooper LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Complete transmission failure at 36,000 mi. and engine failure at 50,000. Both were replaced under warranty. Lots of room and performs reasonably well in the snow.

Built like a tank
By SteveK on 08/03/10 12:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Trooper S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this used a year old 17,000 miles for 1/2 price of new. At 78,000 miles torque converter bearing failed costing me $900 at a trusted transmission shop, dealer wanted $4500 for a whole transmission. Other than that this car has had zero problems , absolutely no work other than one brake job, a few light bulbs and regular fluid changes..well over 100k now. It really is built like tank. I use it to haul family, lots of gear, and towing. 4WD low gear combined with high ground clearance is useful if you need it. Not for everyone but a good off road vehicle priced very low. Maybe I'm lucky, but have many friends with Ford/Chevy SUVs who had to replace everything but the engine by 100K

My 2nd Trooper
By Quynn on 10/25/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Trooper Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had some problems with the Transmission too and my mileage is low. The RPMs go crazy & I had problems braking. I drive a little, turn off car & restart sometimes fixes problem. My drivers seat does NOT go all the way back. I'm 5'4" & have short legs and seat is problem along with contour. I had a 88 Trooper & loved it. I like this too but I wish the seats were manual & the CD player was of better quality. Lots of room, I can put 2 bird cages, 3 cat carriers and 1-50 lbs dog & their food, in cargo area in case of hurricane evacuation. The "check engine" thingie is broken. I had it reset twice. 2 weeks later, when I gassed up, the light came back on.

Solid Truck
By Bill on 07/16/09 22:57 PM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Trooper Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This truck is comfortable and fun in one vehicle. I can drive it in a sand pit and the highway. The reliability is amazing. The interior is spacious and comfortable.

Very Happy
By Tam on 05/07/09 08:19 AM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Trooper S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

I unfortunately, had to lease my 2001 Isuzu Trooper but I can say that as of today I've enjoyed having it. I have always wanted an SUV but didn't want to have one leased to me but all in all I am enjoying my truck, well it'll be my truck the end of next year, ha! I had a little transmission problems after I got that fixed I ran into a small minor problem, mechanical; but after all that my truck has been driving really good. I get a little concerned with how quiet it was opposed to now it's a little loud but not too loud. So I assume that's minor as well. I love the sunroof, it shows off the black exterior and the tan interior of the truck. I look sexy in my truck. But love my truck, love it.

Love my 2001 Trooper
By Andrew on 06/16/08 14:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Trooper LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a fantastic car. I use the 4WD about 10 times a year still and have not gotten stuck...even through thick beach sand, north ga back trails and 3ft of water. Pretty cool. The car has been extremely reliable and has yet to leave me stranded. My wife loves the seat warmers. I had the brakes checked every tire rotation and finally had to change the front brake pads for the first time at 105,000 miles!!!! Only complaint would be the factoy stereo and gas mileage. 16-17mpgHWY

Great SUV
By Hazel on 04/07/08 20:46 PM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Trooper Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Quality and reliability all in one great package. This is the 3rd Isuzu Trooper I have owned. Put over 240,000 miles on each of the first two without any problems. This car is wonderfully well designed and thoughtfully engineered. Truly built with all necessary comfort features and designed for off road traveling as well. I know I won't have to worry about unexpected mechanical problems for a long, long time.

just fair
By joe kirshenbaum on 11/27/07 22:06 PM (PST)

2001 Isuzu Trooper LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I like the size and roominess of the interior. Driversite lines are good and car is very comfortable to drive. Plenty of passenger room and cargo room. However, vehicle is heavy and a bit sluggish to operate. Low gas mileage tops out at about 15.5 mpg true driving conditions. Had to have transmission replaced at 72000 miles (covered 100% by warranty). Also have had several issues with 4wd system which were only partially covered by warranty. The mechanical problems and below average gas mileage prevent me from recommending car as an every day vehicle

Great car
By mike on 11/04/07 14:34 PM (PST)

2001 Isuzu Trooper LS 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great vehicle that does everything pretty well. Dealer has been great with warranty issues, but no major problems at all. Mileage is decent for my city type driving.

A Real Sport Utility Vehicle
By allblk on 08/12/07 10:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Isuzu Trooper S 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5M)

Truck is great, rides very good, 4WD system is top notch.

1 2 3 4 5 next »