Great Urban and Suburban Mileage
By hizonr on
2014 Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I will have had my Accord Hybrid EX-L four weeks tomorrow. I was expecting to buy a Fusion Hybrid last year, but by the time I was able to test drive one in January, reports of mileage far below the EPA ratings were coming out, so I decided to wait for the new Accord Hybrid. I was able to test drive one within a week of release; as soon as I drove it, I knew it was the car I wanted. I had been driving an Acura TL for 9+ years, so the Accord felt somewhat familiar to me. I have not been disappointed in my decision. The car is very nicely finished, handles well, and acceleration is better than expected. The seats are quite comfortable. We have averaged about 48 mpg driving locally.
Favorite Features
I assume that most people consider this car to save money on gas, so I'll focus on the mileage. This week, I took the car on the road for the 1st time, driving 600+ miles round trip to Atlanta. I ran several 25-mile measured constant speed segments. Here are the results: 65 mph: 52.3, 45.2, and 46.2 mpg; 70 mph: 41.3 and 42.3 mpg; 75 mph: 36.8 mpg. The last reading is consistent with the approx. 37 mpg I got on the 250 mile interstate segment on the trip to Atlanta, running mostly between 70 and 78 mph. I averaged 52.3 mpg on the 26 mile segment from the interstate exit to my home. I like the automatic headlights, Pandora, Bluetooth, rear view camera, & lane departure and "brake" warnings.
Suggested Improvements
Improved interface with MP3 players: My Sansa is "incompatible," so I had to transfer my music to my smartphone. Hydraulic lifters on the hood. A lug wrench and jack.