Used 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:

Good strong truck
By Santa

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

Bought my truck new with the Cummins diesel. It pulls my 32 ft fifth wheel easily. I get 17 around town and 22 0n the hwy. Pulling the trailer I get 9 to 12 MPG. Does wonder and good power. Transmission worked on once for rebuild at 60,000 and sensors at 135,000. Love driving it cross country.

Power, comfort and space.

Should be lower for fifth wheels and a more reliable transmission.

Miss my 02 Dodge Ram
By E_HILLMAN

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

I loved my 02 Dodge Ram but traded it in January 2007 for a new one. The new models indeed have more power but it was not needed. I towed and hauled to the MFG limits of the trucks and never had an issue. The 02 Ram had a better stance and a firmer suspension for heavy duty use off road and on, thus allowing me to go over the payload limits all the time and never notice a difference. Many days my truck ran with 3,000lbs in the bed and a 900lb snow plos on the front. GREAT TRUCK! VERY TOUGH! If you get a Dodge and can choose always go for the stick shift. ;-)

Overload springs Stick shift High stance

None

Dodge Ram High Output
By NVDodge

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck brand new and four years later it has only been back to the dealer once, unlike my 97 GMC which was at the dealer almost every other month I owned it. The front seats are very comfortable but the back seats are too small for adults except for short trips. Fuel mileage is great for a 7,000 lb truck: 17-18 city and 19-23 highway. A fuel pressure gauge needs to be installed on these trucks as the fuel transfer pumps fail and you may not even know it until it takes out the expensive injector pump. The front track bar wears out quickly and the truck wanders badly if its not replaced. Fortunately there are aftermarket fixes for these problems. Very happy with my truck!

The six speed manual is great for towing and the engine has plenty of power. The stock Infinity stereo sounds good.

These trucks could use a better fuel system design and a bigger back seat. The tow mirrors don't have a power option like the sport mirrors.

DODGE 2500
By RTC

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

My wife and I wanted the looks of a Dodge Ram. I wanted the economy and pulling power of a diesel. I get about 22 miles/gallon on interstate empty and get 13 mpg pulling an 8500 lbs 5th wheel camper at posted speeds.

Tuff truck
By john mac donald

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD LB (5.9L 8cyl 5M)

This is my first Dodge truck. I always had Fords. After driving a diesel through the hills of upstate New York, I will never go back to gas motors. It has 69,000 miles on it and only had one problem with it the windsheild. Had a water leak. So far it's been tough.

Love that Cummins diesel sound and the six speed transmission

Wish Dodge kept the extended cab