2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Gasoholic
By Gasaholic on 10/07/05 14:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought the truck new. Had a weird road noise. After the 3rd trip back to the dealer they found a steel belt had seperated from one of the rear tires. Gas mileage is 15.4 on the highway. Dealer says engine needs to be broken in 5000 miles ha ha. I hate it and wish I had my F150 back.

Don't buy it!
By Dave on 09/14/05 23:07 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Can we say Lemon? I have never felt a worse vibration in my life. After 27 days in service and five attempts to fix, the dealership said "they all do it". DaimlerChrysler has agreed to give me full purchase price back and is allowing me to carry my rebates over to an 06 Chrysler 300. I wanted a mid-sized truck, but I am giving up. If you do buy, be prepared to vibrate. Some are worse than others, but we drove six new ones on the lot and they all did it to some extent. Mine was the worst the service department had seen, but they have had several others return with the same problem. They think it is the frame design but who knows.

We love it!
By Ted Brown on 09/06/05 10:44 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned 3 Dodge diesel pickups and was initially aprehensive about downsizing. I should not have been! This truck is as smooth and quiet on the Forest Service gravel as it was when driving it home. We spent its first weekend driving around the Ouachita Mountains in spite of the $3.00 per gal gas prices. Its that much fun! We will be towing our 17' travel trailer so we purchased the 4.7 L V-8 with 5 speed automatic and 3.55 rear axle. Although I want to put a few more miles on the truck before towing, there is no question that it will do a great job. Can recommend without hesitation. I am a recently retired mechanical and structural engineer and am pretty "picky". We love it!

Laramie 4 door V8 flame red . 2WD
By Ronald Troxell on 09/04/05 01:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Laramie Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I am in love with this truck.I had an S-10 1985 model so this was a big jump.Did not want a big truck or another small one so the Dakota really filled the bill. Had wanted a Dakota since 1997.When Dodge said employee price that did it.

So far so good
By John S on 07/30/05 09:30 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Just have 4000 miles on the truck, but I love the ride, fuel cost, and drivability. It fits in the garage and most parking spaces, turns good, but is a little light on brakes and soft on the ride. I did notice that with a load the tranny feels like it is slipping in reverse. It is quiet inside. I am 6 ‘2” and 250 lbs, and the seat and headroom is great. Great so far! Should have gotten the V8, but the few times I need the extra power I can live with the V6. My son liked mine so well that he bought one within a month. Not bad Dodge! What a great value for your money. My last SUV was a Landrover. I like this one better at less than half the price. Buy American, they are better.

Dodge lover turns disappointed!
By Edwin on 07/22/05 22:25 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Uncomfortable, many blind spots, terrible gas milage, sluggish transmission, but it looks great. I bought one, then regreted it. What were the engineers thinking?

Get the Bugs Out
By aurora4u on 07/05/05 12:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I like the truck, but it has had a problem with the instrument cluster. No speedometer, the air bag light goes on, and the ABS light goes on. It does not keep codes if you turn off the engine, and you must take to shop for a quick scan. It is in shop today. This is the 13th day at the dealer since I bought it. It could use more head room. I am 6'4", and if the seat is not set right, the roll over bar is on your head. I do love the color Patriot Blue Pearl coat. I guess that is why I bought it. This was the very first one the dealer had. I should have waited for a review before I bought.

Loaded Laramie QC H/O 3.7
By Mike J. on 07/03/05 10:48 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Laramie Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased truck to replace 03 Dakota club cab. Really appreciate the added power, room , improved handling and quite ride of the new model. Took it on an immediate long trip with camper in tow - better mileage and more comfort than the 03 model! Compliments to Chrysler on this one!

Definitely impressed
By John on 06/29/05 13:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have never owned a truck but, I love my Dakota! The only thing I may have changed was to have a v-8 instead of the v-6. The V-6 seems a little lacking in power and so far, gas mileage isn't much better had I got the V-8. There is plenty of room in it and it handles great! It is a very nice truck that I really enjoy. I would definitely recommend this truck to anyone!

2005 Dodge Dakota
By NICK on 06/03/05 22:58 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Plenty of room on the inside. More room than the competition, especially in the back seat. This truck is amazing. I have the 3.7 V6 automatic 4x4 and it has great power and sound. It drives like a car. The interior is my favorite, very comfortable, quiet, and smooth. I rate it altogether a 9/10.