Used 2005 Dodge Dakota Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Tough. Period.
By theRock

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is a 2wd 4.7 v8 auto w/3.55 rear SLT. No problems, at 29k replaced w/17" plus size rims and tires from Laramie Ram 1500. Much better ride quality after that as well as slight increase of apx. 3/4 mpg. This is very basic engineered as a truck should be, although front end design is far superior to previous trucks. It is tough, muscle like in design. I have made a few mods such as duel exh., chip, intake, all very subtle changes. Great to park vs. full size, huge towing capability. Engine is happy to 'scream' at times. Quick for 4000 lb. truck. Excellent room inside (two huge kids fit great back there).

Engine is fantastic. Looks are cutting edge. I can scare the hell out of any truck on the road.

One of the best I've ever owned!
By macgeekvt

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned several Dakotas from the two previous generations and have had mixed results. The redesigned Dakota showed significant refinement in build quality, ride, handling, reliability, performance, style and just about everywhere else. I couldn't be happier with my 2005 Dakota! My only complaint is that it can be a little gas thirsty.

Seating comfort, stereo, convenience of controls.

While I've had no functional issues, interior could be softened. The hard plastic feels a little cheap.

Overall experience owning this truck.
By John B. Daily

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Since buying this vechicle I have enjoyed the handling and its ability to tow a bass boat. I bought it a little early, because I did want it with the new 4.7 L. H.O. engine. The regular 4.7 L. seems to be a very proficient engine, but gas economy could be better. The front seating space is adquate for a person 6' or more. The backseat does lack enough space for adults if travling long distances. The full-time 4 wheel drive performs flawlesly either in rain or snow With the 17" tires the handling is great and shows very little wear over 25,000 miles of travel. Most people would be pleased to own this vechicle. The size is just right for my wife to drive and park.

Interior size and quality of workmanship is outstanding.

Improved gas mileage.

Disappointed
By GDC

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this vehicle new. This is my third Dakota. This model is a big disappointment. The fuel tank had problems venting. This required several trips to dealer to repair. They finally replaced the tank. Two tires blown at low speed. The speedometer sticks when cold. Battery died with barely 20 months This unit has been in the shop for weeks during its many repair activities. This product has turned me away from considering any new Daimler or Chrysler products in the future due to the pathetic quality and service.

Looks of vehicle. Size of vehicle.

The company could implement a quality improvement program that actually improves quality.

Content in CT
By Neil in CT

2005 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle for almost 2 years and I am very happy with my choice. It has been reliable and it drives really well for a pickup truck. The only downfalls about this truck are gas mileage and the cheap looking plastic interior. Although the gas mileage is not very good, I realize that pickup trucks are not the most economical vehicles on the road anyway. I also like the interior room and the Quad cab is a big bonus. Overall, I would recommend this vehicle to anyone interested in a mid-size pickup.

Quiet and comfortable ride. Interior room with the Quad Cab. Easy to use controls. Exterior styling

Need to upgrade interior, Improve gas mileage

• SUV