Used 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:

Disappointed
By GDC

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this vehicle new. This is my third Dakota. This model is a big disappointment. The fuel tank had problems venting. This required several trips to dealer to repair. They finally replaced the tank. Two tires blown at low speed. The speedometer sticks when cold. Battery died with barely 20 months This unit has been in the shop for weeks during its many repair activities. This product has turned me away from considering any new Daimler or Chrysler products in the future due to the pathetic quality and service.

Favorite Features

Looks of vehicle. Size of vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The company could implement a quality improvement program that actually improves quality.

Content in CT
By Neil in CT

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned this vehicle for almost 2 years and I am very happy with my choice. It has been reliable and it drives really well for a pickup truck. The only downfalls about this truck are gas mileage and the cheap looking plastic interior. Although the gas mileage is not very good, I realize that pickup trucks are not the most economical vehicles on the road anyway. I also like the interior room and the Quad cab is a big bonus. Overall, I would recommend this vehicle to anyone interested in a mid-size pickup.

Favorite Features

Quiet and comfortable ride. Interior room with the Quad Cab. Easy to use controls. Exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

Need to upgrade interior, Improve gas mileage

I love this truck
By SixSpeedJunkie

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This truck is my first new vehicle, and it has turned out to be exactly what I wanted and needed. I have the six speed manual transmission which I love, sports package, and I got it in 2 wheel drive. The gas mileage is terrible, at 16mpg being the best I have gotten, but it's hard to stay off the gas when driving a truck that is this much fun.

Favorite Features

6 speed manual transmission, crew cab, sliding rear window, cruise control, excellent exterior styling, V8 power

Suggested Improvements

Would have been nice if they had offered the High Output engine with the manual transmission. Brakes failed at 5k miles, which took 4 trips to the dealership to fix. Bump steer is pretty bad, has a lot of body roll in corner

Good car, bad truck
By Nic

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

This is the least offroad capable four wheel drive truck I have ever used. The four wheel drive basically has a two wheel drive suspension that makes it sit so low to the ground that the ground clearance, approach angle and departure angle are most car-like than truck-like. If you never plan to leave the the road it is a capable vehicle that rides well, is comfortable, and tows well, but if you do avoid this truck like the plague.

Favorite Features

Good highway ride, good torque. Bed is wide enough for a 4 wheeler.

Suggested Improvements

The suspension needs a complete overhaul to qualify as a true four wheel drive truck suspension. It needs to sit at least 2-3 inches higher all around. Regular V8 needs more power.

Dodge Dakota Quad Cab
By Sean

2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased 2005 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab last year 1/2005. I have had both shocks replaced, it has been realigned 5 times, I have had it stall numerous times at a stop lights, problems with the transmission (torque converter, valve body and front pump just replaced 38000 miles) and the EGR valve. It has a horrible ride to it and it is getting worse. I am very dissappointed with this vehicle and will never ever by another Dodge or American made vehicle.

Favorite Features

Engine, nothing else

Suggested Improvements

It would be a good idea for the engineers at Dodge to start over and redesign this poor excuse of a truck. I think they need focus on quality instead of how cheap they can make it.