2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Not the best, Not the worst
By 350rocket on 06/22/13 21:01 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have the 3.7 with just over 80,000 miles. it runs phenomenally considering the amount of torture ive put it through. It does lack power and torque. however, it is a reliable vehicle. the 4x4 to be quite honest should be used strictly for what it was designed and not mud running. I get just over 11 miles to a gallon, which is disappointing but, again this thing just keeps running. The only real issues Ive came across are having to replace the entire front suspension and all four o2 sensors. I highly recommend that if you are to own one of these trucks especially the 2005 that you have advanced knowledge in mechanics, otherwise you might as well just give your paycheck the garage.

Dakota drivetrain quality
By ezcc on 04/04/13 07:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab ST 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

The driveshaft that couples the front axle to the transfer case is ungreaseable and only lasts about 75000 miles the rear axles splines break and need to be replaced before 100000miles and the auto trans will be due for a rebuild at around a 100000 also, This all happens even if you change fluids and do maintenance as recommended in owners manual. This are very light duty vehicles, not really trucks as far my definition of truck goes.

I really want to love this truck but I can't
By hoogoosedmoose on 09/10/12 12:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this truck new in the summer of 2005. there was a year end clearance sale and I got a good deal on it. V8 engine, 4 wheel drive, very comfortable seats and drives and handles well. The plastic used on the doors is ultra cheap however, the dash is a little better but not much. having 4 wheel drive for ohio winters is nice, this is not a truck made for heavy 4 wheeling. I knew that buying it though. I cant get over 15mpg no matter what I do. for what the mileage is it should have a lot more low end grunt. that and a lot of times the transmission feels like its in the wrong gear a lot. like it should downshift faster when hitting the gas

No More Chrysler Trucks for me!
By No More Chrysler on 04/16/10 05:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new. I have the V8. Mileage is terrible even for a truck. Now have 60k miles on and have had it in the shop numerous times for front end problems. Drive train is also noisy. Terrible acceleration. A white knuckle towing machine! (Don't do it!)

decent truck
By chris on 01/14/10 19:55 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

over all its been a good truck it is what i expected from a mid size truck i have had it 5 years only one problem at 20000 miles the tie rods went bad that was a little disappointing to have that happen so soon especially when i never use it off road and the paint jobs are very poorly done scratches easily

vibration
By dc on 09/25/09 12:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab ST 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

can't seem to determine what the vibrations are caused by. Have had two complete break overhauls done. Only 35K miles. The dealer says "harmonic vibration" and no fix. Feels like it is missing, had plugs replaced at 30K, no impact. Disapointed in the truck overall. No more Chrysler for me.

100000 and still going strong
By joe pup on 09/12/09 11:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great truck, bought to tow boat only mid size that would do it the V8 has good gas mileage average 18mpg have towed over 10,000 with it with no problems off road it fun. Only problem is I bent the u joint and that when I tried to pull 12000 lbs other then that, all normal wear and tear.

Happy with the truck
By Laramie1 on 08/02/09 13:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab Laramie Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

After seeing some negative words, I had to jump on and defend this little truck. I'm not too demanding on the vehicle, but effortlessly pull my boat with it. Have found this truck to be responsive, easy to maneuver and reliable! Only problem ever encountered is vapor lock with a precocious locking gas cap, it makes the check engine light come on every once in a while after a fill up. Have had since new and am a very pleased owner.

Its OK, Lots of power
By FMH on 05/27/09 18:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab SLT 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I got the 4.7L v8 new and i have owned the vehicle for 60,000 miles. I get 16.9 mpg. The biggest and only issue i had with this truck was the oem front braking system that only lasted a few thousand miles. Lets just say after the nightmare of having to deal with there service dpt. I finally had enough and just spent the money and replaced all the front braking system. Suspension could also use some work.

Great Truck!
By Don on 02/19/09 08:37 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Dakota Club Cab 4dr Club Cab Laramie 4WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have now owned this truck for over 3 years now and I must say it's the best pickup I have ever owned. I especially love the sound system- infinity speakers and 6 CD changer. It sounds better than my home system in fact. The car rides like a dream and the exterior chrome looks great. I got the Laramie edition. In snow, it makes driving to work fun and I love the heated leather seats when it is cold. The only complaint I have with this truck is the gas mileage, but all the other trucks get about the same, so you have to expect that when you have a pickup. All in all, great job from Dodge. Dakota rocks!

1 2 3 4 5 next »