2001 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
13 years later
By fishinoregon on 02/12/14 11:38 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I've recently purchased a 13 year old Dakota Quad Cab. I looked for 6 weeks at all sorts of trucks but when it came down to it, this Dakota fit the bill best. Everything works and the truck runs strong with a good tight feel to it. Best part of this purchase was the truck had just 87,000 miles on it. It was well cared for and used during the previous owners summer vacations. The tan colored interior is in perfect shape and the bright red exterior has a nice shine to it. As long as the truck (and all others like it) is well cared for, it will be on the job for years to come. Happy traveling

Would I do it again ? NO
By fatuglyold on 09/16/11 03:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my Dodge Dakota, October 2000 for $22,000, from a Shelton dealership that was a pleasure to buy from. A crew cab with a V-8 , plenty of power for towing my twenty foot trailer. It was the perfect fit for my growing family of four. It ran great for the first couple of years. It needs a new fuel pump to replace a check valve. It has had two radiators, a new AC pump, new front brakes and needs a new rear end. Will I buy another Dodge ? NO

Dakota Quad 4.7 V-8
By robmir1 on 12/12/10 20:30 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 that I purchased in 2009 and it had 138,000 km I drove it only on occasion but now it is a 4.7 automatic daly driver and I have to say that it will handle what ever I make it do!. Wow My truck takes better care of me then I do of it... go figure? I believe that this truck was built on the right day of the week as it is not a lemon. And it is true about what day of the week it was built! Anyway I would buy a Dodge in a heart beat again and again.

Best Truck Ever
By dmtrask on 03/31/10 14:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this truck new in August 2001 and have enjoyed it ever since. Plenty of power from the 4.7L V8, great body style, and reliable from the get-go. I have 165,000 miles on the truck and it doesn't eat a lick of oil between changes (every 3000 miles). Best of all, it does everything I ask of it. It tows my trailer with no problem at all, hauls most anything that will fit in the bed, and doesn't seem to be pressed no matter what the cargo.

Great Truck
By Jason on 02/08/10 11:24 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my truck (4.7 2wd quad) new November 2000. I get 24 highway and 18 mixed driving. I have a camper shell on it so maybe that helps with the better mileage as compared to other postings. Over these 9+ years I have had one window motor, Oxygen sensor, air- bag sensor go out, about $900 dollars total from the dealer. No other problems with the truck so far.

very happy with truck
By Moneydriver on 01/13/10 07:00 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

over all this has been a very dependable trk. other than recalls, had a problem with front leather seat that cracked at 36000 mi. that dealer wouldn't take care of. still looks good and drives great. have AWD plus 4wd in Midwest and never been stuck. gas mileage runs around 15-16 could be better.

good truck ( except for mpg )
By norsmn on 06/11/08 10:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I have been very satisfied with this vehicle, up until now when the fuel prices have gone sky high. Mileage not bad in summer highway driving, but in cold winter temps it is poor. One power window motor quit working at about 40k miles. Had 2 factory recalls for the ball joints and a shift lever block problem. They were easily taken care of by dealership.

careful of 4.7 engine
By disappointed on 05/25/08 20:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I liked the 4.7 until I found out that by the time the check gauges light comes on, it is too late. My Dakota is sitting in the driveway with a blown motor. This all-aluminum engine is VERY prone to overheating, which will quickly ruin it. Turns out the water pump is very fragile too. Not sure whether the water pump or the head gasket went first. This is with only 76,000 miles on it. Suggest carefully looking at the 5.9 engine, even though it has a little less power and less mileage.

my truck
By wayne on 05/06/08 08:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Great riding truck, with the v8 magnum 318, has lots of power. We put an energy cell on the fuel pump and we get 20 miles to a gallon average. We are not getting rid of this truck, has lots of miles left on it

2001 Quad Cab
By mtrialsm on 12/12/06 10:15 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Dakota 4dr Quad Cab Sport 2WD (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is my first Dodge. I wanted a mid-size truck with 4 doors. The Quad was the only truck that fit the bill. I have been very pleased with this vehicle. Only problems have been taken care under factory warrenty. The ball joints were replaced at 33,000 miles and will be replaced again soon.