1997 Dodge Dakota - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Dakota model:
Great Truck
By Richard on 01/29/10 04:55 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought this truck with 200 miles on it and have loved putting every mile on it. This truck has never given me any problems. The only maintenance that I have ever done has been due to normal wear and tear. Replaced oil pump and water pump around 200,000 miles. I have taken this truck from SC to HI to WA and finally here to Va. I can't say enough how much I have enjoyed this truck. God has been so good to me with it. I would definitely buy another one as soon as I see fit to replace this one. Maybe at around 500,000 miles.

Dakota keeps up with BIG BOYS
By tsrtrek on 03/20/08 06:19 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great design and layout but with POOR MPG and a weak transmission. Have had no major problems just ball joints and new paint.

Dodge, never again!
By Rosemountguy on 11/04/07 15:36 PM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This was my first new vehicle purchase and my last Chrysler product purchase. While the truck always got reasonable mileage and was comfortable to drive, it was a maintenance nightmare. I went through three power steering pumps, replaced the ball joints, fuel pump, cruise control, and had the rear rebuilt by 50000 miles. The truck also ate brakes every 15- 20thousand miles. I never owned a vehicle that was this hard on brakes, even my old Trans-Am which I drove hard. A am happy I never really used it as a heavy hauler as I am sure I would have gone through many more parts.

Dodge Dakota
By KenR on 09/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I have had my Dodge Dakota in the shop numerous times and nine of those times where for design flaws. I have only been able to receive compensation on one items, the misalaignment of the front end at time if manufacture.

got to love dodge!
By schwarz drache on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Me being a dodge fan I have always wanted a truck like this and now that I have I couldn't be happier. I love my truck, when i'm driving it I feel like i'm on top of the world. I couldn't possibly ask for more in a truck!

Good for the first five years
By Rosemountguy on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

After my initial purchase and subsequent visits to the dealer for various quality control problems, the truck worked very well for three years. Shortly after this a series of problems has made me question my purchase of a Chrysler product. Three sets fo brakes in less than 75,000 miles, various electrical gremlins, suspension problems, and cracked exhaust studs have jaded my initial opinion of the vehicle. The recent condition of peeling paint has made me consider selling the vehicle and purchasing one of foriegn manufacture.

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT
By Ethan Watters on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

Great Running truck. Fun to drive, and more than enough power. Great Handling

Very Nice Ride, wish I had gotten the 8
By Abu_The_One on 01/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Great interior, rugged Exterior, Roomy, great for towing almost anything. The gas mileage is typical, and i wish i had gotten the 5.2, but the 3.9 seems to be serving me well.

Pain to Maintain
By nate676 on 08/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Typical American truck. You will spend many hours and many dollars at the garage having maintenance done. Fuel economy, as expected with a V8 is horrible. Engine starts knocking around 60000 miles; I suggest using premium gas for best results. V8 has good get up and go. My Dakota has a severe tire wear problem; it is not related to front-end alignments (or lack there of). Dakota doesn't hold up very well in a car wreck. I rear-ended a dinky Toyota Corolla and it cost $2700 to repair my vehicle.

excellence on wheels
By pibound on 04/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

This is the second Dakota that I have owned (first was an 88 model). Both were excellent performers and maintenance free other that the scheduled maintenance.