Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

GM Junk
By Rod

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The problems on this Silverado are numerous. The biggest are the brakes. You need to push the pedal to the floor in order to get the truck to stop and sometimes that doesn't do it. In less than 30,000 miles I have had the steering column greased, then replaced. Heater replaced, and power window motor replaced. These are annoying, but the brakes are dangerous.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks pretty good, and it gets decent mpg for a truck

Suggested Improvements

Fix the braakes.

Very happy with '03 Silverado
By RHBinDFW

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LS Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I've had only one minor problem with my truck, more of a nuisance actually. The steering shaft's tenon-and-spline compression joint requires additional grease packing to minimize some minor knocking noises on bumpy roads. Overall, a solid, reliable vehicle.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable cab, great ride for a truck.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the headrest came up more. I'm a tall driver.

This truck never worked a day it's life!
By Former GM Fan

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT Rwd SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have owned several trucks-all of which have been GM products-and this one is horrible! The 'check 4X4' light is on regularly, even though this truck has not been in 4WD more than twice, and under no load. I had to have 3 injectors, a mass airflow sensor, the catalytic converter and all new plugs replaced at 41K-just outside of warranty. The wiper motor just went kaput at 52K, and the dealership service department has been less than sympathetic. This truck has been basic transportation and never towed/hauled anything! Never had to work a day in it's life! As a-soon-to- be former loyal GM fan, I'm going to trade it ASAP on a Toyota or Nissan.

Favorite Features

The performance (when it's not in the shop) is OK. Interior is like a Caddy and the Bose stereo is why I've kept it so long.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability...hear me, GM?? The quality of this 5.3 stinks. The 5.7 was far superior. My last truck had well over 100K and never had to go to the shop, never leaked, and didn't burn oil. For $40,000, I could have bought a Tundra AND a Corolla...

A loaded truck for once
By scott

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab LT 4WD SB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck replaced a '91 S10 2wd that was bought new and was faithful its whole life but the rust finally deemed the little truck a loss. This time 4wd and extended cab were musts and this truck was sitting there waiting for us with 27k on the clock and clean as can be. As you can imagine the difference between the 2 is huge and this brute makes you king of the road with the height, the 5.3 under the hood, and these leather seats that I'd never think would be in a Chevy pickup. This truck is wonderful and with a couple personal touches it will probably be in the family until it turns to dust.

Favorite Features

Seats, height, sound system, engine power, 4wd, 16 inch wheels (tires are cheaper), cd changer in the dash

Suggested Improvements

1-2 shift is horrible on light throttle. Chevy tried to make it soft and less undetectable, it will get a shift kit as soon as warranty is up. Would rather have a 4wd shifter than buttons, rear brakes have been done twice, pedal is a little soft, badly done rear disc system,improvements will be done

Love this truck
By Quadra Steer Chev

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We usually buy a new truck every two years. We have kept this truck because we both love it. It is so much fun to drive. My wife comes home from driving it and says I LOVE THIS TRUCK. The Quadra Steer is the best thing I've every bought. No problems with the truck.

Favorite Features

Quarda Steer. Fantastic driving.

Suggested Improvements

Leave it alone.