2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews 5

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:
Unsafe to drive
By G. Allen on 02/03/06 21:00 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Transmission pauses after coasting or when starting out. After coasting causes a heavy jerk on driveshaft and rearend. Dealer put rubber in springs to damper clunk. When turning a corner the pause in the transmission causes a sudden acceleration that causes the rear wheels to loose traction putting the truck into a sideways slide causing loss of control of vehicle at times. Also the small V-8 that GM puts in this truck has piston slap that the dealer says is "normal". I call it a design flaw. Hopefully it doesn't fall apart before I decide to get rid of it. I'm a GM employee, and I beleive in supporting my paycheck source, but I believe in getting a quality product for my buck.

First Truck
By Lisa on 01/18/06 12:47 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I was skeptical about getting a truck, but after driving this one I would recommend it to anyone. The ride is smooth and the gas mileage is way better than that listed on the sticker. The resale value is also excellent.

Love My SS
By Armando Pagan on 12/23/05 17:19 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I am on the road in my truck an average of 4 hours a day. I am a very hard driver and the truck has been at wide open throttle since the day it left the dealership. There is now 53000 miles on my truck and I am extremely impressed by the way the truck is holding up. I have had many vehicles that had to be discarded becuase of my driving habits. This one is a keeper!

Best truck I ever owned
By Andrew Trumbauer on 12/09/05 09:51 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

This truck is, by far, superior to any other truck in its class when it comes to driving comfort and in-cab options. The quadrasteer option is unbelievable, and I use it every single day. Just feel that is was marketed to the wrong crowd (1500 chasis) All in all my next truck will again, without a doubt, be a Chevy except this time I'm steppin' up to a crew cab diesel! But I'm sure gonna miss the quadrasteer!

Standard, plain vanilla work truck
By Dan R. on 12/01/05 17:43 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab Rwd LB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

Only options were automatic trans., HD suspension (Z85) and larger tires. 4.3 liter V6 and 3.42 axle were adequate almost all the time. Occasionally towed a 2,000 ATV trailer and it did well, but I would say the 3.73 axle would have been better with the six. Got as much as 21 mpg on hwy. Very bright headlights, comfortable ride. Dash looks cheap and flimsy, with painted plastic surfaces everywhere. Problems I had in 2 years were ABS module failure, AC compressor failure, and steering intermediate shaft clunk (common problem!), all repaired under warranty.

z chev
By tom on 11/28/05 15:17 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has 4 wheel drive and gets 18 mpg running around town. Much better than my 2000 Ford f150 two wheel drive which got 17 mpg. Have had no trouble and love the off road capabilitys. The Firestone tires are about to be replaced at 50000 miles, again much better then the Ford.

Nice truck!
By kory on 09/01/05 13:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has plenty of power for pulling my 18 ft alumacraft boat. I threw on a knn fipk cold air intake and that is saving me some money because it really helps with gas mileage

2003 Silverado L/S 4X4
By Mike on 08/27/05 01:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

So far I have no complaints. It is a very comfortable ride, I get 16-17 mpg city and 20 mpg highway with the 4.8 engine. I pull a 30ft camper with no problems at all. I think overall the Silverado is an excellent truck. My only complaint would be the cheap paint GM uses.

Bad Chevy
By Justy's on 07/23/05 22:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD LB (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Sheet metal is very thin. Vehicle get dents from acorns falling onto hood and roof when parked under oak trees. (Had to cut down one of our trees to stop further damage) Installed a truck rack which extended over the cab, and this caused airflow problems resulting in the roof vibrating. Had to modify the rack to stop the vibration. Dealer has had vehicle in many times for repairs. The most serious being failed front hub at 37,000 miles and power steering pump replaced at 42,000 miles. Also, the windshield wipers would not turn off. If key is left in ignition in the off position and vehicle is reentered and started, the chime starts ringing and stays on. You must turn it off, remove the key, and then reinsert the key and start it again. I will never buy another Chevy truck. Going back to Ford.

The Caddilac of Trucks
By ONYXsilveradoSS on 05/13/05 14:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab SS AWD SB (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This truck rocks. Some minor problems but fixes make the truck better. Chevy de-tuned this one big time and there is performance left to be had...faster. Love this truck, better than a Ford in build quality.