Used 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Consumer Reviews - 208 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

View reviews for a specific Silverado 1500 model:

Never again, GM, Never!
By quidproquo

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

My first and absolute last GM product, ever! It would be easier to list what hasn't broken or worn out prematurely than what has, with GM never taking any responsibility! (Quick list-Tranny imploded, water pumpx2, brakes a total joke, wheel bearingsx3, rust everywhere! and no, harsh environment except a heated and cooled garage, transaxle, now engine is bad have babied this truck from day one (Synthetic oil changes every 1500 miles), never towed or off road, never remotely abused or driven hard, Pure junk. I have bought new 6 Japanese cars, 5 American and two German cars and understand there may be some problems upon delivery, but to not stand behind your product I have found only with GM.

Nice ride when something isn't broken or falling off. Oh wait, that hasn't happened yet! Every day I open the door to find mystery screws appearing, something else not working! Buy again? Not if it was free, GM! Not if it was free!

Go out of business, GM. I love how the magazines are writing about how much improved the Silverado or the Corvette is. What about the customers who bought the garbage you put out in the previous years GM?

Chevy Truck
By Chevy Owner

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab LS 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this truck. Purchased used with 83000 miles on it and so far no problems. 5.3L V8 engine runs real strong. The truck is well designed and very well built. I like the design of the interior a lot. Extended cab is very roomy and the cloth seats are very comfortable on short or long trips. I have the Z71 off road package, which really handles well off road. The automatic 4wd works well and there is a very smooth transfer from 2wd to 4wd. Gas mileage isn't great(14mpg) but hey its a truck. A friend of mine has a '98 Ford F150 with the 4.8L V8 and he only gets 12mpg. Chevrolet needs to keep building trucks like this because this is what a truck should be.

5.3 V8 has lots of power. Interior design is perfect. Z71 off road package is great. Auto 4wd works very well.

None

Great Truck!
By sixty8camaro

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2dr Regular Cab LS 4WD SB (4.3L 6cyl 5M)

I have over 110,000 miles on my p/u and have had only one part break ($25 U-joint + 1 hour of my time to replace). I'd say that's great reliability! Still runs close to as strong as when I bought it and can pull a loaded trailer (roughly 5,000 lbs) with no problems.

4-wheel drive works great. Never been stuck in the mud, snow, water, ice, or sand.

Electronics seem flakey. CD player randomly shuts off from time to time. Not a big deal, just a minor annoyance on 12 hour drives. Wish I would have purchased an extended cab or crew cab when I bought it.

One Awesome Truck
By Dave Man

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This truck is the best truck I have ever owned, my 4th of the GM full size family. It's a Z71 with 151,000 on it now and have no problems at all since I bought it in 05' with 70,000 on it been camping to remote destinations, driven on trails, and even hauled several pallets of sod in the bed. It's extremely comfortable and rides like a car. Have made many comfortable trips with the family in it and no complaints at all. Never broken down only have changed the battery once by choice with an Optima yellow top. Only cost is oil, wipers and 3 sets of tires. This truck it truly built like a rock and takes the abuse of 2 boys 3 dirt bikes and many off road outings to have fun.

I love that all I have to do is wash, wax, change oil, and throw some new shoes on it to have a lot of fun.

The only thing I would improve is making driver seat power recline and passenger seat full power standard. I might also redesign the front fender wells to make the back 2 spark plugs more easy to change. But that might make a great truck something less in other areas.

My first truck
By My first truck

2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4dr Extended Cab Rwd SB (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The inside of the extended cab really surprised me, I'm 6'2" and i fit nice in the backseat. Had hauled heavy, heavy stuff and it was like it loved working and this is only a V6. I used this also on vacations, 8 to 10 hour drives, with two kids in the back. It's a ready to use for all occasions.

Works like it wants to. Lots of storage in the cab under the back seat and doors. 22 mpg on the highway.

Needed cruise control for the long drives.