1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
They just don't die!
By ahnalia on 02/12/14 04:51 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought my 98 z-24 cavalier with 101k "highway" miles on it in 2003. I have NEVER regretted the purchase. I have only had to have 1 major repair done on it (housing case) in 11 years. Mine has been through a lot. It has been stolen, and they hot rodded it and tore it up externally pretty bad, but it still runs. I let maintenence on it slip pretty bad over the years, and it still runs. No matter what punishment this car has been dished out, it just does not stop running. It also has some real "get up and go" when needed.

Amazing!!!
By rush_2112 on 03/10/11 14:47 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I have owned my Cavalier for about 6 months now and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The Vehicle was a trade in at the dealership I work at. I have always wanted a Cavalier so I inspected it and test drove it right away. It had 119,000 miles on it and the only problem I noticed was it was leaking antifreeze very fast so I new it wasn't the head gasket. I decided to purchase the Cavalier knowing I could replace the water pump myself for $15.00 with lifetime warranty! After I fixed the water pump I have never had a single problem with the vehicle. I drive it everyday to work, pleasure and trips and it has never let me down. People writing bad reveiws don't know how to take care of cars.

Blown mind
By jim on 09/01/10 17:21 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

Purchased this car from a friend. Car has seen better days with the scratches and typical rust. But after about 154,000 miles engine seized. Good cars I just found a bad one in the six I have owned.

The Catfish of cars (they just don't die)
By Jolex on 07/29/10 18:12 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

They say that cars are a liability not an investment, but my 1998 Cavalier proved that statement wrong! I bought mine brand new and drove it for 13 years. It still runs and the only thing I ever really needed to do was regular maintenance. It's been through a lot and if anyone says that a Chevy is no good then there is no way that they have ever truly owned one. I would recommend a Chevy to anyone. It was worth every penny and it showed that American made cars are at the top of the list with foreign competition. I loved my car and my faith in Chevy will never be diminished.

Great Car, Worst Buying Time
By Litestorm17 on 01/21/10 22:57 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

I bought this 1998 Chevy Cavalier Z24 in December of 07' with 78000 miles on it. I loved the car, but exactly 364 days after I bought it (roughly 90k miles at the time) the entire computer system failed. The dealership has yet to figure out what caused it. It cost me well over $2k to fix. Also, the radiator randomly blew out on me. That was roughly $200. Mine burns oil, but not much. Don't let this rough patch deter you away though. I bought it with all of the wearable stuff at the end of it's lifespan, so now that everything is fixed it works like a dream. It is a great car if you travel long distances like I do. Put an aftermarket short-ram intake, and you can get close to 40 mpg!

Best car I ever owned
By Kelli on 07/29/09 07:26 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe RS 2dr Coupe

I bought my cavalier in 2004. It now has over 200,000 miles on it and it still drives like I just bought it! It is by far the best car I have ever owned. I would never buy any other kind of car . Go Chevy!

What a great buy
By bandit88 on 04/14/09 15:59 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as the second owner with 234, 000 miles on it, about three years ago. I've put about 60,000 miles on it and I've put minimal amount of money in it. It is fun to drive, easy to learn stick on, and I average 33 mpg with most highway miles. This car owes me nothing!

Great little car
By EX E4 on 07/13/08 11:12 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe

I currently have about 250,000 miles and all I have had to do was replace the clutch and an a/c line (besides regular maintenance). I drive 90 miles a day to work and back and average about 30 mpg. This car has never left me stranded. The original battery lasted 8 years!

Great car, great price
By P on 05/30/08 16:40 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

This was my first new car and has served me very well over the last 10 years. I use it exclusively for driving to work and put very few miles on it. For the most part no complaints. The battery post corroded from the inside after 10 years, can't beat that. CD broke after 9, but radio still works fine. Driver's window motor and A/C stopped working after 8 years. The A/C is something under the dash that is way too much to spend on a 10 year old car and the window motor, switch and relay has been replaced numerous times and it still doesn't work. Car always starts and still get 27 mpg average after 10 years. Great pick up for a 4 cyl. Most reliable car I've ever had.

Fun to drive, great on gas, unbeaten!
By bigbird91 on 05/26/08 21:06 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe

We purchased our 1998 Cavalier Z-24 coupe (2.2, 5 speed manual, the car had an engine change after previous owner blew the engine using NOS). Even with the smaller engine, this car is very fast, it's a piece of cake to do a burnout. It has been very reliable, it has about 150,000 miles on it now. It gets great gas mileage (about 38 to the gallon if my dad drives, about 30 if I drive, but I'm 16 and like to punch it.) Over all, this car is great, handles way better than the non Z-24 version, and looks great.