2006 BMW Z4 3.0L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual Consumer Review - Zed 4 3.0i

2006 BMW Z4 - Consumer Review

3.0i Convertible (3.0L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

Zed 4 3.0i
By Kipper on

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car after test driving SLKs, Miatas, Z300s, Boxsters and S2000s. The Zed 4 3.0i, although not the highest performing Zed 4, seems to be more refined than the other cars I tested. The handling is crisp and throttle response is quick. The 3.0i is not particularly quick for this class, but does provide a 0-60 mph time under six seconds. It is a good highway cruiser but a bit bumpy on the backroads. However, I never lost any confidence in handling while on bumpy roads. I'm averaging 24 miles per gallon, driving in both highway and city. The body style is a real head turner and the interior seems to fit the body style.

Favorite Features

The interior space is large compared to the other cars I tested. The trunk is larger than the other cars in this class. This car came with an automatic transmission with the paddle shifters. This car came with the optional 'sport' mode. Sport mode gives the 3.0i and extra kick in performance.

Suggested Improvements

BMW should do a better job at quality control. I found several small but irritating flaws. The clear plastic cover on the tach was smeared on the back of the glass which impedes my view during certain lighting conditions. I would add the extra 15 horsepower to the 3.0i like other BMW 3.0 engines.