Used 2006 BMW Z4 Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Z4 model:

Aw Yeah
By Bill

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Sold the Cooper S and amped up from 194 hp to 255 on this 3.0si and we definitely appreciate the increased horsepower. Initially test drove the 3.0 and were quite dissatisfied. Same engine in the 3.0si as in the 07 335si and it shows. Sports and Premium pkgs make this car all muscle and well worth going into a "Roadster" as opposed to a "Sedan" with muscle. The one touch automatic ragtop is absolutely great because it truly is engineered right--tucks in snug and perfect. What else would we expect from Bavaria? Exterior is solid and didn't change in 2007 - so pricewise we scooped up a waiting 2006. Great move. Very glad we did.

Favorite Features

High performance wheels and tires; both analogue and digital readout on the speedo; exterior design is hot.

Suggested Improvements

BMW needs to shake hands with Garmin and get that fantastic Nuvi product in the dash - factory GPS is like a stick and ball in a virtual world.

Great Roadster
By Uol_Koras

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I tested all of the competition (SLK 350, Boxster S, S2000, etc.), and I found the Z4 to be the best in class, especially considering the price. The Z4 has excellent power (and the sound of the I-6 is like tearing silk!), great fuel economy (averaging 26 mpg+ in mixed driving), tight, buttoned-down handling, plenty of room and great safety features.

Favorite Features

Powertrain - smooth, sonorous I-6, rifle-bolt six-speed. Heated seats are nice, and I love the long nose, short deck styling.

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the run-flats to improve the ride a bit, switch to hydraulic steering assist a la the Z4M for improved steering feel.

Love my new BMW rag top!
By Billy Salts

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am having a blast with this car! This car has it all, great looks, (Metallic Silver with Red Leather), 6 speed all with 255HP. This car sounds like an F1 race car when it winds up. Great clutch, great gear box and push button top. Gas mileage is about 24 mpg. I love this car.

Favorite Features

Easy push button top, great gear box and the power is on target.

Suggested Improvements

The steering feels a little slushy. I popped a run flat and paid $275 bucks for a replacement.

Fun car
By Chete

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0i 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a retiree's escape to a driving dream. It is a fun car. The optional wind turbulance deflectors allow a newspaper to lie on the passenger seat at 70 mph. The selectronic 6 speed is very smooth. The turn radius is sharp. Handling is tight on turns. A solid runner.

Favorite Features

The fast hands free top that cycles in 10 seconds. Sufficiently quiet with top down. The smooth auto tran.

Suggested Improvements

A tad more power with the 3.0i; wish now had chosen the 3si. Otherwise, a very very fine roadster.

This is one great redo
By Michael

2006 BMW Z4 Convertible 3.0si 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I previously owned a 2003 Z4 3.0, and now have a 2006 Z4 3.0si. While I loved the first one, the new Z4 is spectacular. Press the sport button on the si, and it changes the manners completely. I always felt that I could have used a little more power- but not so much tha I have no choice of transmissions and pay a gas guzzling tax, like the M. This is that perfect car. Until the twin turbo from the new 335 makes it over!

Favorite Features

I love the paddle shifting on the wheel, the sound system really rocks, and the M seats (a totally worth-it option).

Suggested Improvements

Where is the lock (so valets cannot access it) for the glovebox- or better, the center rear storage compartment? Give me a lock there, please. Also, the motion-sensing alarm cost $1200-$1400, so make sure you negotiate that at the beginning if you want to park with the top down and have security.