Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

What a truck!

Truck owner, 12/16/2004

Had several Chevys, one Mazda (really a Ford in Mazda clothing), and one Dodge Ram. This truck is the best of the lot. The fit and finish is amazing. Toyota builds the best. The interior is a little unfrendly, but after 1 year not a rattle or creak anywhere. No other manufacturer can say that, period. Gas mileage is slightly better than claimed, however my wife has a light foot, and we have never towed. Adapts well to the deserts on the west and the mountains on the east.

Best Toyota yet

geronia, 12/24/2004

It drives as good as my 2000 Tundra

Ajax

a. Jones, 01/03/2005

Truck is high quality built and designed. Runs well with good responsive engine and smooth ride. All acessories are of good design, with exception of the clock placement. Solid construction with dependability throughout

WALLER'S TACOMA

WALLER04, 01/25/2005

I was considering a wide range of vehicles, was looking and researching and decided to go with the Tacoma because of the high ratings from consumers and editors. I am very pleased with my Tacoma almost 9000 miles on since July of 2004 and like it, v6 has plenty of power, handles well on and off road, and good service at the dealer when going there for oil changes, I am so glad I bought a Tacoma than a ford ranger, to me the quality of this truck is better.

nice truck

bjw04toyota, 02/05/2005

Well this is my first Toyota. I was a Ford man but I wanted a truck that was dependable and had a good rep for making them. I put a lot of money down so I wanted to make my money good for something, and I did a lot of research and found that the Toyota Tacoma was at the top of the list of all major points, resale value, durabilty and quality.

so far, so good

Beemer, 03/22/2005

For the money spent, the truck could have a few more bells and whistles. A good solid truck so far.

still luv the feeling

jake s, 06/05/2005

This is my 5th toyota p/u. I always come back to them. Very reliable truck. I like the styling, interior finish.I would recommend them. Last tacoma was a 1997 with 174000 miles it is still going strong..

Solid as a rock

tacomadude, 06/19/2005

Had this truck for a year and a half now. This is my second truck (had a 2001 Dakota V8 for a year but it turned out to be a lemon, nearly self- destructed). If you want a truck that is trouble free and solid, this is your vehicle. I loved my 01 Dakota (when it was running), but it had too many problems to keep. The Tacoma, while not as powerful or agile as the Dodge, is built much better. As long as you're not expecting sports car handling or power, this is a perfect truck.

Best Truck on the Market!!!! I LOVE IT!

JacksonDean05, 07/03/2005

This is the first NEW vehicle I have ever bought. I've now put 5,000 miles on my truck without a single problem. No sqeaks, rattles or anything. I think the gas mileage is great for a truck. Try to find an extended cab 4x4 truck now adays that gets 20 mpg in the city!! Fit and finish is top quality. I love the compact size and I'm 6'4". I think there is plenty of room. Lots of storage area in the cab believe it or not. The reason I got this truck was because of the cult following they seem to have with them. Now I know why. I don't know about the new redesigned 05's but I am sure they will be just great. Great Truck off road it will handle anything you can through at it.

Great Overall Truck!!

Dan, 08/05/2005

Have had this truck for nearly 2 years and just hit over 25K miles and it still runs perfectly. I've taken it all across Florida down to Key West 4 times from Gainesville. It can be a little uncomfortable after hours of driving, but it is a truck and not a luxury car. I get pretty good gas mileage 19-20 in the city and 22-23 on highway. It is perfect for someone who wants the versatility of a SUV and the drive of a car. I put the tonneau cover on and it makes it a giant waterproof, locked trunk with an increase in gas mileage. Once or twice the truck took a while to turn over when I started her up, but it hasn't been a problem. I wish the turning radius were better for a compact truck.

Nice Truck

blippo, 08/18/2005

I picked the 2004 over the 2005 model because of the styling inside and out. I have an automatic model with the 6 cylinder motor and it gives plenty of power. The 4 cylinder model that I drove was not enough power for me. I get 23 mpg on highway and 19 city which I am very satisfied with. This truck is fun to drive. You can manuver in and out of tight places. Just the right size for me.

Sets a Standard for quality

AJAX, 08/21/2005

I bought this Prerunner double-cab in Feb. 2004. It has the V-6 engine. My mileage has steadly increased to 22 mpg. There should be more leg room in the back seat area. The quality is superior. After 31,000 miles everything works perfectly. This is my second Tacoma truck and I continue to be amazed at the reliability built into these trucks.

My First Truck

Hacksaw, 10/14/2005

I never wanted a pickup truck, but my wife always has these projects, and we needed a way to transport our supplies. We decided on the 4-door so we could use it like a car when traveling with friends. I'm a dedicated Toyota owner, so the Tacoma was an easy choice. Off-road this little truck is a performer. The ride is a little stiff, but once you load up the bed it smoothes right out. I got the Rhino liner, now I just need a cover to improve the gas milage.

Taco love

Todd, 01/12/2006

I love my toyota to death however when you have to move you gotta learn to let them go. I think its an excellent truck however they have started lacking on things recently such as metal durability...they dent so easy now. It doesn't bother me that much but i could sure use some better gas mileage, but i know thats a lot to do with me cause i can't keep off the pedal its just to much fun.

My Tacoma...

YoTRacer158, 03/17/2006

I have had absolutely no problems with my Tacoma. My Tacoma spends just as much time in the dirt as it does on the road, and I drive very hard offroad. The only thing I have had go bad was the clutch started slipping at about 30k miles, but this was due to the extra power from the TRD supercharger combined with my hard driving style. This truck has been great to own and I would never consider owning any other other truck.

My Small Truck

cromanxx, 05/03/2006

I use my truck for pleasure and work. I pull a 3 ton dump trailer with no problem. It handles well in snow but you must engage 4 wheel drive. I don't go off road, but the ride is fine considering its a truck. I've filled the bed with pavers & cement and the truck didn't flinch. It's a reliable and dependable vehicle. I only take it to the dealer for service. I put a cap on the bed and it looks great!

Perfect vehicle - double cab 4x4 TRD.

Brian, 02/07/2007

I needed a vehicle that can haul 4 people, tow a boat, fit on off-road mountain trails, go in the mud, haul firewood, and still get decent mileage. A full-size won't go where I need it to and 12-15 mpg isn't that appealing. Enter the Tacoma double cab 4x4 with TRD. I took my first trip with it last weekend. We travel with 2 dogs, 2 coolers, and 4 large totes. Our destination is a hunting cabin in the woods which requires traversing a couple miles of tight, rough trails that a full-size can't do without scratches and scrapes. Quite simply, I don't know of any other vehicle that could possible meet my needs any better than the 2004 Double Cab 4x4 w/ TRD.

Perfect size for me

Ron Shaw, 10/02/2007

I bought this truck used in 06. I wanted this smaller size, not the larger size the Tacoma has become. Mine is a fairly basic truck, standard cab with air and stereo. Nothing else. It has turned out to be just what I expected. A simple truck that is very capable, with the Toyota reliability I have come to expect. I have loaded it down with 1500 pounds of bamboo flooring, and the 4 cyl 5 spd manual was not taxed at all. This truck gives you the feeling that it will do whatever you ask it to do.

No trouble

KREIN, 05/16/2008

I have had this truck for about 4 years. I changed the oil, brakes, tires, wiper blades and that's it. I never had to bring it in for any service. You will not see me at the dealer. Maybe for my next truck. I would drive the truck around the world today without worries. I hate to say it but, I would never buy anything other than toyota. The last one I had was going strong with over 250,000 miles. it was ugly but ran like a clock. The gas goes a little faster than they claim. You should also give the gas a chance to get to motor before you start cranking. sometimes if you jump right in and start cranking it may be a little ruff to start.

Taco life

Danny, 01/01/2018
2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Never look back. Great truck for the money.

Toyota Tacoma 2.7l 4x4

Andreykuksyuk, 12/02/2018
2dr Xtracab 4WD SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I have 2004 Tacoma with 259k with 0 problems .Wish it was more comfortable, but I don’t want to trade comfort for reliability.3RZ is bulletproof engine, one of the best Toyota ever made.Its not for towing, but enough for daily driving and off roading

Watch out for rotten frames

Bechap, 09/09/2019
2dr Regular Cab Rwd SB (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

No longer a trusted name in my household. Toyota will not fix it. (expired last year) I only have had it for a month. SCREWED! Cost me many $$$ to fix it myself.

Awesome Truck

Brian P, 10/29/2019
4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Toyota pickup trucks are basically bulletproof the hard working durable truck's dont quit. They just keep going and going 300k 400k. Toughest truck made 🌝

51050