Used 2004 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Tacoma for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Nice truck

reeohas, 04/08/2004

I've had it for 3 months and have taken it on a variety of different terrains. It's great off road, especially with the TRD package.

eeee

sunamita, 04/22/2004

we are so happy with our toyota toyota is the number 1 in the world!

New Mommy-mobile

Expymom, 04/25/2004

This truck is great for hauling kids, motorcycles & dogs which is something my Expedition couldn't do. Looks great and wears the "dependable" Toyota namebadge. Look forward to owning this truck for years and years to come.

Attention to Detail...I love my Tacoma

Chuckykhan, 04/27/2004

This truck is jun to drive. V6 provides plenty of power. I don't see why anyone would need this vehicle with 4WD unless you plan on driving up a rock hewn canyon. RWD is the best value and this truck will pull 6000lbs!!! Mine came with the deluxe tow hitch. This is my second Toyota in 8 months. I now own a 2004 Sienna and a 2004 Tacoma. Same color. Toyota is the best and most reliable. Hands down.

Great Vehicle, Absolutely outstanding

Roland Gutierrez, 05/05/2004

This truck is absolutely a joy to drive. I would definitely recommend it to anybody. Very comfortable, roomy, enjoyable and fun to drive.

Great "Taco"

Tunanut13, 05/12/2004

This new "Taco" is tight, well crafted and fun to drive. I have previously owned a Ford Ranger and most recently a full size Silverado. My ranger explored many tight and rugged areas of Arizona and Montana but did not come close to the quality of this Tacoma. I suspect this Tacoma will be awesome off road. I opted for the V6 Tacoma after testing both engines. No comparison and necessary in the NC mountains. This vehicle is pretty small compared to my latest '02 Silverado but I was looking to downsize.

Great Trucl

amoral63, 05/18/2004

cant really see the clock, hard to reach stereo,

Beat Truck I've bought so far

Finly, 05/24/2004

This truck is very comfortable driving and the exterior design is just what I like in my opinion. I would definitely buy another Toyota, to me this is quality. Am very happy with my purchase.The drive is smooth, quiet even on rough roads.

Good overall truck

frankuribe, 05/21/2004

Good realiable truck, fun to drive tough for its size.

A great truck

JRBNH, 06/07/2004

I'm a car nut who needed a truck for home renovations, so I was a little hesitant of owning a truck. The more I drive this truck, the more I like it. The V6 is strong and smooth. Fuel economy is average; however, the tonneau cover has helped on highway trips (up to 24 mpg). I'm very surprised at how comfortable it is-the seats fit me perfectly, the noise level is hushed, and the ride is very compliant. Heat and AC are both powerful. Parking and maneuvering is easy. I've owned it so far for 6 months and 7500 miles with not a single rattle, squeak or problem.

toyota wheeling

Ivandamn, 06/08/2004

Traded a f-350 diesal 4X4 and love this truck not nearly as hard to park. I could really keep up with all my freinds in the dunns now. test drove the fx4 ranger but liked the toyota alot better. went off-roading with both of them before i bought and liked the performance and gas mileage better than ford. they need to offer a standard model in the 4-doors TRD.

176,000 miles to a new clutch

N4tyk, 06/12/2004

My 1996 Tacoma went 176,000 miles before needing a new clutch and brakes and rotors. I suppose that the engine is good for another 200k. The oil dipstick still has the color of new oil (honey color) even after 4500 miles, my oil change intervals. If I had been the original owner, the clutch could have lasted longer.

Solid Truck

NIKOKIRA11, 06/12/2004

Nothing bad to say about my tuck, works as advertised.

Wonderfull

Leonard Hope Jr., 06/12/2004

Toyota has finally made the perfect all around vehicle. The ride is great and the style supurb. While pricing is competitive.

Poor design.

Robert Mirsky, 06/12/2004

My experience with this truck is tops. The only complaint I have is the bench seat design. I have both models, with bucket seats and with the bench seat. To sit the way the bench seat is designed, you are off center behide the wheel, this puts uneven pressure on the back and is very uncomfortable. To seat in the seat the way it is designed, you sit off center behide the wheel. I don't understand why this seat has not been re-designed.

new driver

ontariotacomadriver, 06/17/2004

Been driving it only 1000 miles, but am very pleased so far. All "jittery ride" comments (from any source) should be overlooked... it's a truck... I don't want a truck that rides like a car-- it has an excellent suspension. Engine is strong and gives sufficient acceleration. Tranny shifts smoothly. No worries about handling despite higher profile. Good turning radius.

2004 Tocoma Extracab

CHAS, 06/18/2004

Very, very poor gas milege for a 4 cylinder engine. Cannot make 20 miles to the gallon. Rides a little rough for a 4 X 2 vehicle.

Evan's Toyota

Evan R Wernecke, 06/26/2004

I think that this truck is one of the best vehicles that I have owned in my history of driving. If you would like to have a vehicle that is fuel effcient and is fun to drive then get a new toyota Tacoma today

The best

fstedee, 07/05/2004

My 2nd prerunner and both have been great. Move the clock and reduce the wind noise. I have owned Toyota's since 1962 and will buy more if needed.A solid truck that performs as a truck is suppose to.

Tacoma Rules!

johnof, 07/06/2004

Great design in a powerful package. The 4 doors are perfect for the kids -- surprizingly spacious in the rear compared to the 2-door extended cab versions. No mechanical problems in almost a year. Mileage not bad for a 3.4 liter V6 with plenty of towing power.

Awsome truck

bryan nc, 07/07/2004

Great truck. Handles very well on and off road. No problems out of it yet.

Great truck!

Geojer, 07/09/2004

I bought it new and drove it all over the Montana forest roads, then moved across the country to Miami, Solid feel on two track, mud and on the highway, the 4cly wasn't porsche-like at takeoff with a bed full of rocks but did just fine considering, Great MPG on the road. Seats are a little puritanical in their comfort level, but the ride is good. Overall this is a great small pickup, it's not flashy or full of buttons and levers to break, just a solid pickup!

love this truck

brianinvegas, 07/11/2004

I got an accident settlement and was looking for a while and test drove the prerunner and knew this is the truck, I like the handling, suspension on the trd interior and body style has good accerlation and decent fuel economy for a v6

Great Truck

99shark, 07/12/2004

I have owned Chevys, Fords, and Dodges, and none compare to this vehicle. Simply the best truck on the market.

great truck

kingdmn, 07/13/2004

i put ladder racks on my truck and use it every day for my construction business

First Toyota truck

Mastermason, 07/15/2004

Great looks and power. A very smooth ride that sets up high. No complaints.

OK it's a Toy

deadfred, 07/20/2004

It was and still is and will always be one of the best if not the best truck made

"I Love My Toyota"

shirl, 07/24/2004

this the second toyota truck i have owned. my other truck ran for about 12 yrs. i would not buy another make of truck. i have recommened this vehicle to many of my friends, who, incidently, bought one! i haul furniture, mulch, stones, plants, trees,etc. with no problem. the 4 wheel drive is a necessity, no matter where you live. in essesence, i love my toyota!! (recommend 4-door, even if you are only one person using) back seat access easier for groceries, etc.

I love my Tacoma!

Truckldy, 08/17/2004

I bought this truck in June of 2002, when they were still relatively new on the market. I love the sporty style and how it stands out in a crowd of other trucks. It now has 67,000 miles on it and I have never had a problem with it. If you are looking for a truck and still want to be able to take your kids with you... this is the one for you!

so far so good

TexasAggie04, 08/16/2004

This has been a great truck so far. The window sticker said mileage would be 16-19 MPG and that is about right for me. I probably average about 18 and can squeeze over 20 if I drive 65 (night-time limit). Overall build seems solid and the truck rides well on-road and off. Don't buy it if you want V-8 power though, the 6 cylinder just can't deliver as much juice. Maybe with that TRD Supercharger...

keeps on going even through mud and high

ajjr, 08/16/2004

never stops running even in blizzards,floods, muds, and as for pulling others out of mud bogs diff lock works great

Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab

tom Barnett, 08/24/2004

After driving a Dodge Dakota for fours years I am proud to be back driving a Toyota. The quality is evident when you close the door.

Solid Truck

TRD Taco, 08/25/2004

I love this truck. All the negatives listed below are minor. Overall the truck is very solid and will be mine untill it dies in 15+ years

Loved my TRD Taco!

tacomarc, 08/27/2004

I actually purchased my '99 Tacoma in 9/1999 for $22,500. It was well equipped with SR5 and the TRD-Off Road package. I wanted one with a 5-speed though, and it was very hard to find because of the "popular" build packages. If you ask my wife, she'd tell you she was jealous of it. I didn't help matters by calling it my baby. I had to sell it recently because I now have two kids that I didn't have when I bought it. It always ran perfectly. Nothing ever broke. It was great off-road, in the rain and snow. I sold it in early 2004 for $14,500, thousands more than I could have got for any other comparable '99 truck.

Black 4X4 Tacoma

JusTAcasaubon, 08/31/2004

This Tacoma is the second toyota i have purchased new and i am definately addicted. I truly believe the Toyota Tacoma is one of, if not the most, reliable smaller class pick up truck on the road. It's looks far surpass any other make or model and the quality of it's construction is superb. I do wish i had arm rests, but It's not a deciding factor.

How could I do it?

TacoDriver, 09/02/2004

My coworkers were shocked when I traded in my 98 Tacoma, they knew I loved that truck. But the new 2004 is everything I ever wanted in a truck. I ignore the "Smooth" driving complaints, and such. I bought a truck, I expect it to drive like a truck. The interior is very similar to my old Tacoma, which I liked anyway, so the truck was immediately comfortable to me. I do agree that the clock is poorly placed. (Unless of course, you don't feel any need to see it.) Suspension on the TRD is great! V6 Engine is strong, Transmission smooth, and the truck looks, feels, and drives solid. Honestly, I cannot envision the truck it will take to replace this one... but

My Wife's Toy

Bigpapa G, 09/11/2004

I loved my 2003 so much I bought my wife one she said she wanted a Camry until she drove her new Tacoma. I also advised her that she would be going down a dirt road alot to pick up her grandson,now that her son moved back from California a couple a months ago.

Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner

Aplus, 09/10/2004

I have had the truck for about two months now and I love it. The quality and reliability greatly outweigh any negatives. This is the second Toyota in the family (2002 Sequoia) and I have never owned any car or truck that has been better made or has been as reliable.

Mystic Gold 2004 Tacoma

Toddles, 09/21/2004

What a great truck. Just recently traded in my 2002 Two-Door Tacoma for a 2004 Double Cab V6. Definately a great truck.. looks, styling, effcient engine... it has it all! I find myself wanting a second one even though I already have one!

TRD offroad

TRD_DRD, 09/26/2004

TRD pakcage was worth the extra price. the bilstein shocks are great. But the gas milage is traumatizing- 16mpg? my 4.0 ranger got more than that, it also had better low end torque. Good move by Toyota to make make 4.0l engines in 05. now if they'd just make aggressive exhaust tone, this pickup would take in all buyers.

great for the money

dominic, 09/23/2004

overall greatly satisfied. I drive 1200 miles a week and my last toyota has over 200,000 miles with all its original parts except timing belt. Great car for reliability.

19 years of tacoma

sn00py1680, 10/06/2004

I started rideing in the tacoma series of from 1985, and started to drive that same truck in 2000, and recently purchased the 04 Tacoma. What is most surprizing is that both trucks drive exactly the same, even with the 19 year differnce in age.... Good job Toyota

My Halloweenie Double CAB, 4X4, V6

valentine, 10/14/2004

I love this truck its so fun to drive!!! Its a multi-purpose truck made for the young and young at heart.

2004_TACO

Jim_Bowman, 10/17/2004

Great Vehicle, Looked at other trucks and the tacoma was the best by far.

My truck

jfreckle15, 10/21/2004

This is the first new vehicle I have ever owned and I will never buy anything but a Toyota again. I have gone on several long (8hrs) trips in my truck and it is extremely comfortable. It gets great gas milage and the cruise control is easy to use. The ample amount of cup holders comes in handy during these trips as well as the tilt steering.

Toyota = QUALITY

harmsfarms, 10/31/2004

After a ten year hiatus from owning a truck I decided on the Double-Cab Tacoma w/ the TRD package and 4 cylinder engine. I feel the transmission is a little notchy at times, but overall a fine machine. Toyota has refined this platform to near perfection and it will continue to extend this level of buyer satisfaction through the next several decades.

wyo_taco

wyoming taco, 10/30/2004

Good quality,only 20mpg,cruise control is a joke,no foot room for big boots, underpowered,hard to wear coat in truck.

My little silver truck

Shipstein, 10/28/2004

I really like my truck. Beautiful little machine on the outside, and a no nonsense vehicle on the inside. I really appreciate the fact that Toyota allows you to purchase a vehicle without all the buzzers and bells, so many other companies make standard, and likewise cause initial sticker price to be so inflated. All my little beast has for options is the enhancement package, which completed the little guy just the way I would have wanted with AC, better stereo system, and a few upgrades on outside such as tires and rims which make the truck perfect for me and my chow chow, Ming, who rides shotgun. Keep up the great work Toyota

great truck

truck04, 11/06/2004

i have had a gmc sonoma before this truck nothing but problems had oil leaks starting at 20000 miles never could get it fixed replaced the oil pan many gaskets finally had the motor replaced. then about 104000 miles the trans acted up so had to go.

THE

Daniel Hedrick, 12/02/2004

This truck is bad ass! I love my Tacoma, it is the most fun to drive. I wish that I had a little bit of better fuel mileage, but it is all good to me!

51050